U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 AM

368 posts, read 518,935 times

Advertisements

i think people have confused terminology here..there is never going to be a combined msa of cincinnati and dayton.there probably will never be a csa of cincinnati and dayton either.the urban agglomeration is something completely different ,i work in marketing so i know alot about this stuff..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,306,615 times
^ OK you are the final piece of the puzzle for the U.S. Office of Management and Budget which defines MSA's and CSA's. Gotcha.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,658,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
i think people have confused terminology here..there is never going to be a combined msa of cincinnati and dayton.there probably will never be a csa of cincinnati and dayton either.the urban agglomeration is something completely different ,i work in marketing so i know alot about this stuff..
But you apparently don't know enough.

The fact that you throw in the word "probably" is telling. A combined Cincinnati-Dayton metroplex is a virtual certainty. It will be counted as one metro area in the next census.

What about the following remains unclear?

Cinton? Daynati? We're one city now | Economics Center for Education & Research

Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 AM

msa's are not defined by the census..they are defined by another department, the management and budget office and are constantly changing..without anything to do with the census.why dont you just go ahead and make your own metro area ,lets go ahead and do that so you can say that dayton is the second largest metro area in the us that is losing population..and maybe the next census you can pass detroit for #1

Old 07-24-2011, 09:08 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,843,397 times
In 10 years, I don't see why they wouldn't be considered one metro area or a more defined area than they are now. Drive I-75 they already feel like one, minus a few areas.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:01 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,933,030 times
I dont understand this fascination with combining the two metros. If you live in Dayton, guess what...YOU STILL LIVE IN DAYTON, regardless of whether or not they merge the areas. It's not like your day-to-day life is going to improve somehow, just because Dayton is "merged" with CIN. The two regions have completely different physical layouts, have totally different topologies, and are separated by large farmland areas that break the cultural affinity that the two cities would need to have if they want to be twin-cities. The only similarity they have, is the historical bond created by both being on the Miami-Erie Canal, but that doesnt mean they should be combined in any way. They are literally two counties apart from each other, and I do not see any reason why the regions should be merged. You might as well merge Columbus and Dayton.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 PM

603 posts, read 1,076,427 times
I wonder if there will be the consolidation of cities in the U.S. as has been the case in Canada for some time. Port Arthur and Fort William were joined to make Thunder Bay. Galt, Preston, Hespeler and a few small towns became Cambridge, and half of Ottawa's suburbs (those on the Québec side) became Gatineau.

By the time you read this, all of Canada might be in the city of Greater VancouJohn's. :-)

Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 AM

in response to 313 tuxedo..the management and budget office in the us has actually done the opposite..it has broken up metros as opposed to joining..cleveland and akron were once part of the same msa as well as baltimore and washington,san franscisco and san jose and even smaller cities like portland oregon and salem oregon have been broken up..i cant imagine they would join cincinnati and dayton which are alot farther apart than those other cities at a time when they are breaking up the other msa'a...look at lost angeles..they have broken that up into 3 msas.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,306,615 times
^Im not sure where you get your info from. Washington and Baltimore were never the same MSA. Cincinnati and Dayton is the same distance as Portland and Salem, but the biggest difference is the Cincinnati/Dayton corridor is much much more developed. The development between the Cincinnati and Dayton are is mostly west of I-75 which you can't see driving the highway. Take a look at the new 2010 census tracts and check out the population densities.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM

12,793 posts, read 12,778,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
in response to 313 tuxedo..the management and budget office in the us has actually done the opposite..it has broken up metros as opposed to joining..cleveland and akron were once part of the same msa as well as baltimore and washington,san franscisco and san jose and even smaller cities like portland oregon and salem oregon have been broken up..i cant imagine they would join cincinnati and dayton which are alot farther apart than those other cities at a time when they are breaking up the other msa'a...look at lost angeles..they have broken that up into 3 msas.
Well, how they determine MSA's keeps changing, so who knows if they will ever really be joined. I think right now it's based on a certain percentage of commuting residents between the two. Something like 25%. It's hard to imagine it would be anywhere close to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or