U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 12:52 PM

11,799 posts, read 9,729,450 times

Advertisements

I'm of the mind people should be centralizing around urban areas, not further sprawling outward. Gas prices will continue to climb, and eventual oil shortages will be a harsh reality for those who move too far outward. So hopefully peoples mentalities WILL change to a more sustainable lifestyle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,897,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm of the mind people should be centralizing around urban areas, not further sprawling outward. Gas prices will continue to climb, and eventual oil shortages will be a harsh reality for those who move too far outward. So hopefully peoples mentalities WILL change to a more sustainable lifestyle.
We find life in our corner-lot 2600 sq. ft rancher in the burbs QUITE sustainable, thank you very much! And life will be even better when we drill more here in North America!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:02 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Those who lament the lack of a regional airport serving Cincy and Dayton and state both of the current airports are sub-standard forget a few facts. CVG was one of the busiest airports in the nation when Delta was treating it as a major hub. The fact that Delta has backed out of the hub business and downsized considerably (closing the subsidiary Comair commuter terminal completely), may be a reflection on the management of CVG and who they courted. Looking at the way politicos make decisions on investment a joint Cincy-Dayton regional airport may have been in worse shape than the two separate ones are now.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
We find life in our corner-lot 2600 sq. ft rancher in the burbs QUITE sustainable, thank you very much! And life will be even better when we drill more here in North America!
Crew Chief I agree with you completely. Since I have been retired 8 years now, I find about 95% of what we need can be obtained less than 2 miles from our house. We have a 2001 car (built in 2000) with 44,500 miles on it so it averages less than 4,000 miles a year. And that includes some trips to Oklahoma to visit the daughter and Florida to visit another daughter. And the 5% we cannot find locally I can readily purchase on the internet and have delivered. In fact, in terms of dollar value we are probably up to over 15% annual internet purchases. If you factor in unavoidable expenses such as utilities, taxes, insurance, etc. we may be up to 40%.

My wife has mobility problems and occupies her time doing craft projects. She travels to Dayton to visit craft stores, Blue Ash to participate in craft classes, etc. I like to play golf so may take the car out to Oxford to play the golf course at Heuston Woods. None of these activities are exactly carbon-friendly, but frankly I don't give a damn. I worked a long time to get where we are. Subtract our non-essential use of the car and we may be down to less than 2,000 miles a year. But as long as I can afford it we will try and live out our old age as we envisoned years ago.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,897,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Crew Chief I agree with you completely. Since I have been retired 8 years now, I find about 95% of what we need can be obtained less than 2 miles from our house. We have a 2001 car (built in 2000) with 44,500 miles on it so it averages less than 4,000 miles a year. And that includes some trips to Oklahoma to visit the daughter and Florida to visit another daughter. And the 5% we cannot find locally I can readily purchase on the internet and have delivered. In fact, in terms of dollar value we are probably up to over 15% annual internet purchases. If you factor in unavoidable expenses such as utilities, taxes, insurance, etc. we may be up to 40%.

My wife has mobility problems and occupies her time doing craft projects. She travels to Dayton to visit craft stores, Blue Ash to participate in craft classes, etc. I like to play golf so may take the car out to Oxford to play the golf course at Heuston Woods. None of these activities are exactly carbon-friendly, but frankly I don't give a damn. I worked a long time to get where we are. Subtract our non-essential use of the car and we may be down to less than 2,000 miles a year. But as long as I can afford it we will try and live out our old age as we envisoned years ago.
Thanks, KJBrill! Maybe it's blasphemy, but, even as a Liberal, I believe most of the "Green" movement is a bunch of hooey. I don't believe that there are ANY Americans that want to see our environment be damaged in the name of commerce. But some of the measures the tree-huggers propose are just NUTS! As you've no doubt seen in my other posts, I'd LOVE to take mass transit to work. But it's not even possible in my situation. Much less viable.

I love my job but look forward to the day I can semi-retire and volunteer my time around here!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:09 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,103,247 times
There's a better chance of Colorado Springs and Denver becoming twin cities. The growth is insane on both sides and it's only a matter of time before they meet in the middle.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 PM

12,786 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Quote:
The suburbs are the biggest waste of resources imaginable. I'm not saying that everyone should live in an urban center, but even suburban growth can be done MUCH more responsibly.

And by the time we start seriously drilling in the US, prices will already be too high. The US just does not have the kind of reserves needed to provide our energy needs, let alone keep prices down. The obsession with oil is going to leave our economy in shambles (even moreso than it already is) if we do not invest in other areas.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM

12,786 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Quote:
Thanks, KJBrill! Maybe it's blasphemy, but, even as a Liberal, I believe most of the "Green" movement is a bunch of hooey. I don't believe that there are ANY Americans that want to see our environment be damaged in the name of commerce. But some of the measures the tree-huggers propose are just NUTS! As you've no doubt seen in my other posts, I'd LOVE to take mass transit to work. But it's not even possible in my situation. Much less viable.

I love my job but look forward to the day I can semi-retire and volunteer my time around here!
It's probably not an option simply because people such as yourself want to live further and further out from an urban center, and most suburbanites couldn't give a crap about mass transit, let alone investing money into anything that doesn't turn farms into Walmarts.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Those who lament the lack of a regional airport serving Cincy and Dayton and state both of the current airports are sub-standard forget a few facts. CVG was one of the busiest airports in the nation when Delta was treating it as a major hub. The fact that Delta has backed out of the hub business and downsized considerably (closing the subsidiary Comair commuter terminal completely), may be a reflection on the management of CVG and who they courted. Looking at the way politicos make decisions on investment a joint Cincy-Dayton regional airport may have been in worse shape than the two separate ones are now.
That Cincy-Dayton joint airport idea is probably a ship that has long since sailed. The time to realistically tackle that was probably in the 1980s. It's quite possible, though, that a joint airport serving an area of more than 3 million people would still be someone's major hub.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
That Cincy-Dayton joint airport idea is probably a ship that has long since sailed. The time to realistically tackle that was probably in the 1980s. It's quite possible, though, that a joint airport serving an area of more than 3 million people would still be someone's major hub.
(See Post #49, 8-14-11)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or