Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 PM

24 posts, read 51,372 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Salt Lake City to Dayton at the end of this month (and very excited about that too!) I'm in a cooking club here in SLC and we'll be having a farewell party on July 24th. Anyhoo, we're doing a BBQ theme, but one lady suggested making dishes that are specific to the Ohio area.

So... Any ideas for dishes/food that are special to Ohio/Dayton that we should include?!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Oh! And any recipes would be welcome!

I'll post back if I use any ideas/dishes from here!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:17 AM

219 posts, read 893,961 times
A few ideas, but no recipes --

The dishes I think of first for Dayton are stewed tomatoes and Dayton-style pizza. The later would be difficult to replicate (very salty and thin crust, highly processed toppings -- it sounds terrible, but it's good). Stewed tomatoes are like a thick, sweet tomato suspension with a crunchy crouton or two on top.

The most distinctive (truely unique) dish in southwest Ohio is Cincinnati-style chili. You can find recipes online, but generally it's a meat sauce made with cinnamon, chocolate, and other spices served over spaghetti with cheese on top. Skyline and Gold Star are the largest chili chains. Their websites might have pictures.

For an Ohio theme, there is always corn and soybean-based dishes, both key crops in Ohio.

Central and Northern Ohio "country cooking" has a strong Amish influence -- you could make boiled green beans with ham, broiled chicken, and bread casserole.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Mmmmmmm, stewed tomatoes from the Pine Club .... yum.

It's been suggested -- jokingly, but it must have a basis in fact somewhere! -- that the Ohio state dish is that green bean casserole made with cream of mushroom soup and those canned crispy onion rings. I don't know if you want to subject your guests to that, especially if you want them to remember you favorably after you move, LOL.

Campbell's Kitchen: Classic Green Bean Casserole

Everyone argues about the "right" way to make Cincinnati chili. There are tons of recipes on the web, just seach for "cincinnati chili." Among the ingredients, you should find cocoa, tomato paste or sauce, cinnamon and allspice; it should not include whole or diced tomatoes nor should it instruct you to brown the ground beef. For the texture to be authentically fine, you must cook the ground beef in water.

These two

Authentic Cincinnati Chili Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Cincinnati "Skyline" Chili Recipe - How to Make Cincinnati "Skyline" Chili Recipe

looks reasonable. You can refrigerate the cooked meat overnight and skim off the fat and proceed; or, what I do is drain the water and fat, and add more water before adding the rest of the ingredients.

If I think of it, I'll post my recipe later.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I am not aware of any Ohio specific dishes, but I think you will find regional dishes, such as Marion's Pizza, Cincinnati style chile, and Graeter's Ice Cream. There is also the peanut butter chocolate coated candy known as Buckeyes.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 07-08-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM

We'll definitely have buckeyes! Maybe on my trip to Dayton this weekend I'll pick up some local food to bring back.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCBakeaholic View Post
We'll definitely have buckeyes! Maybe on my trip to Dayton this weekend I'll pick up some local food to bring back.
I would highly recommend the Killer Brownies at the Dorothy Lane Market - HUGE, and delicious!!!!!!! BTW - welcome to SW Ohio and I certainly hope your move goes well for you and your family!!!!!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I thought about food specific to this area and the only thing that really strikes me is the fact that there are a lot of Appalachian families here that moved from KY or TN or had relatives that did and they have their own style of food, which I grew up on. My grandma on Mama's side was from KY. We had a LOT of fresh green beans with bacon grease and ham and new red potatoes cooked in them (let them simmer all day), with skillet cornbread, maybe some fried pork chops and corn on the cob. Dad always had fresh tomatoes and fresh cucumbers sliced with Miracle Whip. It sure filled you up but you sure can't eat like that every day. The emphasis in our house was FRIED food made from scratch of course. I also note that sausage gravy with biscuits is popular in this area - not sure if it is back in Utah. I worked with a gal from NY who thought that was the nastiest thing ever - apparently THEY don't know what's good!!!! If you are a sauerkraut fan you have to head to Waynesville Ohio (easier to Google it than me try and describe it - it's south of Dayton off state route 73) on Oct. 8-9 this year for the festival. They make EVERYTHING from sauerkraut (candy, donuts, etc.) Now I'm curious about what is/was popular back in SLC.I love to cook/bake and am always scouting out new recipes - Taste of Home is a favorite of mine.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I thought about food specific to this area and the only thing that really strikes me is the fact that there are a lot of Appalachian families here that moved from KY or TN or had relatives that did and they have their own style of food, which I grew up on. My grandma on Mama's side was from KY. We had a LOT of fresh green beans with bacon grease and ham and new red potatoes cooked in them (let them simmer all day), with skillet cornbread, maybe some fried pork chops and corn on the cob. Dad always had fresh tomatoes and fresh cucumbers sliced with Miracle Whip. It sure filled you up but you sure can't eat like that every day. The emphasis in our house was FRIED food made from scratch of course. I also note that sausage gravy with biscuits is popular in this area - not sure if it is back in Utah. I worked with a gal from NY who thought that was the nastiest thing ever - apparently THEY don't know what's good!!!! If you are a sauerkraut fan you have to head to Waynesville Ohio (easier to Google it than me try and describe it - it's south of Dayton off state route 73) on Oct. 8-9 this year for the festival. They make EVERYTHING from sauerkraut (candy, donuts, etc.) Now I'm curious about what is/was popular back in SLC.I love to cook/bake and am always scouting out new recipes - Taste of Home is a favorite of mine.
Utah is the beehive state and we're known for honey. The most popular item for putting honey and honey butter on? Scones. We're also known for fry sauce (a dipping sauce of ketchup and mayo blended together). And of course, J-ello. I found this funny Utah fact:

"..in the early 90s, Salt Lake City, Utah, residents became the Jell-O-buying champs by eating four boxes per person per year, or about four times as much the average American. Local food experts attribute this to the city's extensive Mormon population where large families and low alcohol consumption, and compensating high sugar intake. Salt Lake City residents also buy more lime Jell-O than all other Americans (presumably to make that most popular of local Jell-O dishes, lime Jell-O with shredded carrots."

Why Jell-O casserole dishes are so popular in Utah, beats me. People put all kind of things in Jell-O; raisins, carrots, pineapple, nuts, bananas, cottage cheese (yes, cottage cheese!)...

Besides casseroles and pot luck dishes, Utahans love ice cream!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Default Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I am not aware of any Ohio specific dishes, but I think you will find regional dishes, such as Marion's Pizza, Cincinnati style chile, and Graeter's Ice Cream. There is also the peanut butter chocolate coated candy known as Buckeyes.
We did have Buckeyes at the party and they were delicious! I see them at all the stores here in Dayton. I've tried the Blackberry Chip ice cream at Graeter's, but haven't had the Pizza or Chile. One day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton