Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 15,387 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I are most likely moving to Dayton next summer. He will be a resident at the hospital on WPAFB. We are hoping for some advice/ideas about where to look to buy a home. Important things include:
-Good schools (no kids yet, but will probably have one in the next 2 years)
-Safe place to run/walk dogs outside
-Walkable to shops, markets, schools, etc.
-Good community feel
-Prefer older homes with character
-Moderate politically (if we lean, it's towards the left)
-Fun things to do as a stay-at-home mom

Our budget will probably be around $200K. We have researched a bit, and are drawn to Yellow Springs, Oakwood, and the Oregon District of downtown. Any ideas about which is the best? We are visiting in October, and hope to get a better feel. We are also very open to other suggestions!
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,124,117 times
The Dayton Public School System is one of the worst in the state. To me, it is one of the biggest--if not the biggest--drawback to living in the city. Unless you want to pay private school tuition, live someplace else.

I'm pretty conservative, so Yellow Springs is a little too hippie for me. To me, it's one one those places to visit but not live in. Housing is also expensive and I don't think you get the public service one should get for the money spent.

My choice would be Oakwood as I think it meets your needs. It is a very walkable city with great schools, parks and public library. Also, Oakwood is not the conservative bastion that some people think it is. You will find plenty of people who "lean to the left."

Oakwood’s State of the City by Mayor William Duncan (http://www.ko-times.com/2011/02/oakwood-8217-s-state-of-the-city-by-mayor-william-duncan/ - broken link)

Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,059,461 times
I'd also vote Oakwood. There are many doctor's, professors, and lawyers who call Oakwood home. This is due to it's location close into the city center, where most law offices, hospitals, and University of Dayton reside. Many of the people living on the east side are more center-moderate to left leaning than in the past. This is mainly due to the professions (profs, doctors, lawyers) of the residents on Oakwood's east side.

As Joe said, it is a really walkable community, especially the cheaper east side of Far Hills with its grid pattern streets. They even clear sidewalks as part of the city's services, mostly because Oakwood students all walk (or carpool) to school. Downtown, UD area, and the Oregon district are only 5-10 minutes away tops.

Homes can be expensive here, but you get more than you would in Yellow Springs. You will likely find stuff on the east side of Far Hills (Oakwood's main north-south thoroughfare), as the west side usually has homes running from 300K to over a million for the older estates. Still, homes on the east side of Far Hills can stretch a budget around 200K depending on what you want in a house, but it is doable. Just don't forget to factor in taxes, especially the property tax, which are high for the area. Still, in my mind, for the services rendered by the city of Oakwood, you get what you pay for in taxes.

As far as Yellow Springs, I would only look there if you don't mind a small village lifestyle. The town is still on the mend after Antioch University closed in 2008, but the efforts to reopen the school are going pretty well. Still, the prices of homes are high and there is no public transit out there. It is still a small village and can require some driving just to get to larger shopping areas (or downtown Dayton).

As far as Dayton and the Oregon District. It is ok, but the area, as with Yellow Springs, seems to have homes overpriced for the services you get. Private schools are a must, as Joe said Dayton Public are near the bottom of the state's school rankings and is a huge factor in people deciding not to live in Dayton. Also, the Oregon District is pretty small, so finding a home on the market that you like could be hard. Furthermore, if resale is important, then I suggest looking elsewhere.

Hopefully that gives you a little more information in your search. If you come in early October, the trees will (hopefully) be turning and if the weather cooperates, it will look nice, especially in the more mature areas that you are looking at. While not New England, the trees here can still look nice when fall comes. Also, people will be starting to decorate for Halloween. Just one question: Where are you coming from? Hope your October search goes well and welcome to the Dayton metro!

Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Thank you both so much! This is very helpful. Looks like we will concentrate our search in Oakwood.

We are moving from Mobile, AL. My husband is from Birmingham, and I am from Baltimore. We are hoping Ohio will offer a nice middle ground for our families! Looking forward to less heat, more snow as well!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,480,305 times
Move2Dayton, I'd recommend also looking at Kettering, & Centerville/Washington Township. All are nice and your $200K budget may go a little farther. Welcome to Wright-Patt! (I spent my middle school years in Annapolis & AA Co.)

Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,086,244 times
I'd pick Oakwood. I drove a friend home there once and it was night and day from any other suburb I've been to.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 PM

13 posts, read 28,810 times
I'd vote Oregon District if you enjoy downtown living that is still quaint. The houses also can't be beat in OD...it's a historical neighborhood after all! I know many people would recommend Oakwood and it is true they do have good schools because of money in the area but it is very suburban so are Kettering/Centerville/Beavercreek (though these are the blander burbs). I just moved back here and I think Dayton is working really hard to make Downtown a great place to live and work in. It has way more events than I remember and it seems like families, single people, retirees, people from all walks of life live together well in the Oregon District. It's enriching and I think it would be a great place to have a family based on all the families I've met. I also had my 6 year old niece stay with me and there is a park right in the center of the neighborhood and they had two neighborhood events while she was here where they food and games for the kids. The sense of community was the best I've experienced! I used to live in Shaker Hts/Beachwood area in Cleveland and in my mind it is similar to Oakwood. I never experienced anything as communal and fun in a suburb as I did here in the Oregon District (someone who lives in Oakwood is welcome to prove me wrong).

Anyway, I didn't read much love for Oregon District so I just wanted to throw my two cents in. I feel like throwing all the support behind Oakwood is an old school way of thinking. I feel like the future is in the Oregon District and other neighborhoods that aren't so suburb-ie. I do tend to love urban neighborhoods that are walkable though, so take it for what it is worth. I must say though that you picked three nice areas near/in Dayton so whatever you choose I think you'll be happy. Good luck and I hope you will post back with your choice

Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,745 times
Just a plug for Yellow Springs. Lots of young families here; schools range from good public, to good private, it's walkable, bikeable and there are astounding resources for such a small community. I suggest a visit with a drive around to see houses available before you buy. Oakwood can be restrictive with lots of sort of uptight rules on the way things should look, and the schools are not really culturally diverse, if that's an issue. If you have any artistic leanings, check us out!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Wow! Thank you all so much! If these forums are any indication, I think the people in Dayton will be great!
Looks like the Oregon District and Yellow Springs are both back in the running. Cultural diversity is very important to me, and I like the open-minded feel of YS. I would also love to be a part of a downtown revival-esque community. So, we are planning on looking all around in October!
Again, thank you all!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM

13 posts, read 28,810 times
Yay! Glad you will give each area a look. No matter where you live you would likely venture out to all these nice areas. Good luck and glad everyone could be a help to you. Keep in touch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton