Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:14 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a possible move to Dayton. I need some information as I do not know anything about the area.

I prefer urban life. I'm looking for some safe neighborhoods, preferably with some younger people. I am open to a suburb, if it has more of an urban feel to it.

What are the city homes like, any pictures, examples?

How much snow do you usually get during the winter? I bit every day, or an occasional storm?

How are the commutes typically during rush hour?

I need information on property and income taxes.

Anything that makes Dayton "unique?"

Thanks for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Dayton's a fairly bland city, but the downtown area does have a bit of a nightclub scene (especially gay clubs). There is the Oregon Street Historic district, which is a brick-layered street with bars, restaurants & sex stores. I also like the South Park area with the South Park beer bar & pizzeria and the nearby UD/Brown Street area. The Dayton Art Institute is above average for the city's size as well.
Pretty much everything else is out in the suburbs, including malls, health food stores, Trader Joe's, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM

Is Oregon st an upscale neighborhood? Or is it mostly food and bars?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Yea, it's become popular with the younger, upwardly-mobile population, and along with the area just north, surrounding the Fifth-Third ballpark, has been built-up very nicely in recent years.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 AM

What about the area around 3rd and Linden?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Most of the stats you are looking for are easy enough to find on-line.

Homes are all shapes and sizes, just like most cities.

Third and Linden is a pretty low income part of town.

As above, the Oregon District and the 5/3 area are drawing younger folks downtown.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:18 PM

There is a lot of unemployment here, so why are you thinking about moving here?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There is a lot of unemployment here, so why are you thinking about moving here?
Like the rest of the country, most of the unemployment is with the low-skilled and undereducated. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from moving to the area who may have something to contribute (Ohio needs it, especially outside Columbus), but they'll have a tough time if they don't have more to add than manufacturing/retail skills.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
My suggestion. Line something up, better yet, have it in writing that you have a position here before committing to a move. Nothing is worse than having no job than paying for the costs to move to a new area and still no job.

Assuming you have employment, no I would steer clear of anything remotely close to Linden and East Third. It is not a pleasant area. As Joe said, look around 5/3 Field or the Oregon District. The next best thing would be Cincy (downtown, Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, Mt. Lookout), but that would be a nightmare of a commute. Also, it would be much more expensive.

The only Dayton suburb that would have anything close to an urban feel (and this is a stretch) would be Oakwood. There is a small downtown shopping area with stores and a grocery, the RTA runs down Far Hills Ave. and there are some small four-plex apartments behind the shops. Not exactly a nightlife spot tough.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Like the rest of the country, most of the unemployment is with the low-skilled and undereducated. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from moving to the area who may have something to contribute (Ohio needs it, especially outside Columbus), but they'll have a tough time if they don't have more to add than manufacturing/retail skills.

I'm not dissuading anyone. I think it is a reasonable question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton