Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 13,563 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a family of 3 relocating to Ohio due to a career. We have a teenager and pets. We are seeking something in the "country area", rural, farmland, ranch, etc. to RENT. We practice exceptional open-mindedness, and would like to live in an area that is similar.

Also, what are some things our 14 year old (soon to be 15) can do for entertainment?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,063,894 times
I'd highly recommend Yellow Springs. Most of the township that goes to Yellow Springs schools is Miami Township (the one in Greene County). It's a small rural town that is progressive and open-minded. Decent schools and still not too far from Dayton and its amenities. It also puts you about an hour from Columbus and its amenities. Rentals may be hard to find here online, but there should be some. Either find a realtor who specializes in Yellow Springs (or that part of Greene County), or better yet, drive around and look for the "For Rent" signs. Military by Owner may be another good source.

As far as things to do, I'd recommend getting involved in clubs and activities at the high school. For sports, there are tons of rec and club leagues in soccer, even through high school.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM

675 posts, read 1,408,457 times
What does it mean to 'practice exceptional open-mindedness'?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM

41,790 posts, read 74,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
What does it mean to 'practice exceptional open-mindedness'?
It means you don't mind that your next door neighbor has a rusty Ford F150 with a gun rack on the back.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM

7 posts, read 13,563 times
LOL! It means that we are open-minded to everyone and their beliefs. We have our own alternative lifestyle, being a young lesbian couple with a child, and are not opposed to others' ways of living.

No, I don't mind living next door to a neighbor with a rusty Ford F150 with a gun rack. LOL! That would be what I grew up with. haha.

Thank you, Wrightflyer!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,881,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It means you don't mind that your next door neighbor has a rusty Ford F150 with a gun rack on the back.
Sounds like an experience I had in Kentucky a few weeks ago...

Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiespeace View Post
LOL! It means that we are open-minded to everyone and their beliefs. We have our own alternative lifestyle, being a young lesbian couple with a child, and are not opposed to others' ways of living.

No, I don't mind living next door to a neighbor with a rusty Ford F150 with a gun rack. LOL! That would be what I grew up with. haha.

Thank you, Wrightflyer!
I find that well-armed lesbians make excellent neighbors.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,692,838 times
Given how closed minded this state and region can be, the original question is quite legitimate. Someone with the lifestyle of the OP could be ostracized or worse in certain towns around Dayton.

Yellow Springs is definitely on the list and is probably the best option. My somewhat mean comments above are valid here: YS itself would be very good, but Beavercreek just to the west of YS is full of entitled AFB employees and military who have an extremely conservative, right wing, fundamentalist tilt. Further east of Yellow Springs is Cedarville, home of a major bible college. I don't know anything bad in terms of intolerance about Cedarville but I'm just saying that it is 5 miles in geographic terms from Yellow Springs but 1 parsec away in terms of values.

The Dayton region is sort of a fabric of small towns with an overhang of small town thinking, therefore, you will run into some or a lot of conservative social pressure anyplace around Dayton with only a few exceptions like YS. It gags me to admit this, but relatively speaking, the vibe in Cincinnati is much more cosmopolitan about different cultures and values, depending uoon the neighborhood. IE: I think a person who gets a hard time in Oakwood near Dayton would be a lot more socially comfortable in, say, Blue Ash or Sharonville (IMO).

Lastly, most of the rural areas in SW Ohio are just plain Appalachian flavored redneck. So where you'd prefer to live would socially not be the smoothest sailing.

Where is your work? That would be a big determinant in choice of neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Given how closed minded this state and region can be, the original question is quite legitimate. Someone with the lifestyle of the OP could be ostracized or worse in certain towns around Dayton.

Yellow Springs is definitely on the list and is probably the best option. My somewhat mean comments above are valid here: YS itself would be very good, but Beavercreek just to the west of YS is full of entitled AFB employees and military who have an extremely conservative, right wing, fundamentalist tilt. Further east of Yellow Springs is Cedarville, home of a major bible college. I don't know anything bad in terms of intolerance about Cedarville but I'm just saying that it is 5 miles in geographic terms from Yellow Springs but 1 parsec away in terms of values.

The Dayton region is sort of a fabric of small towns with an overhang of small town thinking, therefore, you will run into some or a lot of conservative social pressure anyplace around Dayton with only a few exceptions like YS. It gags me to admit this, but relatively speaking, the vibe in Cincinnati is much more cosmopolitan about different cultures and values, depending uoon the neighborhood. IE: I think a person who gets a hard time in Oakwood near Dayton would be a lot more socially comfortable in, say, Blue Ash or Sharonville (IMO).

Lastly, most of the rural areas in SW Ohio are just plain Appalachian flavored redneck. So where you'd prefer to live would socially not be the smoothest sailing.

Where is your work? That would be a big determinant in choice of neighborhood.
Your first post was no where near as 'mean' as this one. How many insults and derogatory comments can you make about the people living in this area?

You seem to be the antithesis of 'open-minded'.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,692,838 times
Zathras can never have anything nice. Pooor Zathras.

Sorry. I loved that show.

Just to be clear, I grew up in Dayton. So I attack the tendencies I see in the area. I know them well because I had to deal with them in my formative years.

And I didn't even say I was open minded. Most people really aren't and most people are lying when they say they are. Even extreme liberals have incredibly set preconceptions about groups that they are antagonistic toward.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 01-07-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton