Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp67 View Post
I wonder if Fairfield Commons is floundering because they aren't aggressively marketing it or putting money into it to improve it. I would think that with the new Soin hospital, all the 'pentagon' offices, and the construction up and down 675 that they would put some money into it to refresh it. You have to spend money to make money. With it's proximity to WSU and the base, it could do much better than it is doing. I like the Greene, but only when the weather is nice. I am not a fan of schlepping bags around in the rain or putting my coat on and off in the winter. I much prefer going to Fairfield during inclement weather. They are putting a Home Goods across the street, hopefully that will get some shoppers back.
I've thought the same thing. IMO, Glimcher (the mall's owner and manager) is doing a pretty lousy job in the marketing and capital improvements departments. The mall has not seen an upgrade since its opening in 1993. 1993! Most malls have a refresh every 10 years or so. I don't count the removal of the trees that used to line the halls (they were replaced by the annoying kiosks). The addition of Dick's is the closest capital improvement upgrade. If you ask me, Glimcher has focused too much on other properties, namely Polaris. It might also just be the fact that the GM is not a savvy business person.

At least the Dayton Mall, which is also owned and managed by Glimcher, has brought in some new-to-market retail, include Crazy 8, Shi by Journey's, etc.

My guess is still that Abercrombie & Fitch will leave next. They already are slated to close 180 stores in the next year or so. Then again, their business model of high prices for so-so apparel in this economy is horrible. Plus, I feel their product is going out of style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM

20 posts, read 40,687 times
I wish they would get on the ball at Fairfield Commons, even Sams Club was renovated to look nice. We've lived here 11 years and in that time, all of the hotels, the Pentagon office complex, Red Robin, Fox and the Hound, and that strip mall by LaRosa's were all built. It seems like those outside of the mall are willing to put money in and the management of Fairfield Commons doesn't see the opportunity, just laid at their feet.

I went to the mall today, and it was sad. The whole downstairs by Elder Beerman was full of random stores. Some stores have remodeled and improved the general look of areas of the mall.

The food court has a great selection, but it's so dark.

I sat at the food court and people watched. I realized that the mall and the Greene serve 2 different populations, there is room here for both of them. The Greene is more of a destination, you have to plan to go there, and be ready for all that walking since everything is so spread out, you also have to hope for good weather, and don't buy anything heavy, because your arms will be falling off by the time you get back to your car. The Mall at Fairfield Commons is there, it's there when you need it. There were a lot of moms with their young kids in the food court at lunch today, they ate their lunch, played at the playground, then went shopping. There were also a lot of military and medical people eating lunch. The mall is in a perfect location and there is a lot of opportunity.

When Dayton Mall added that outside area, there was talk that Fairfield was going to renovate too, they built that pretty sign out front, but that's as far as it got.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDNA View Post
I sat at the food court and people watched. I realized that the mall and the Greene serve 2 different populations, there is room here for both of them. The Greene is more of a destination, you have to plan to go there, and be ready for all that walking since everything is so spread out, you also have to hope for good weather, and don't buy anything heavy, because your arms will be falling off by the time you get back to your car. The Mall at Fairfield Commons is there, it's there when you need it. There were a lot of moms with their young kids in the food court at lunch today, they ate their lunch, played at the playground, then went shopping. There were also a lot of military and medical people eating lunch. The mall is in a perfect location and there is a lot of opportunity.
This is a really astute observation. Lifestyle centers like "The Browne" are a PITA if you want to just get in and get out. It's like the physical layout makes it so painful to go on an impulse, that a trip there demands that you devote all day to shopping there. Plus the open air setup makes it painful to go except during nice weather. I guess it's all about driving people indoors to shop.

There's this consumerist assumption that everyone must always like the same things. I think that's stupid. The Greene has its place but it's incredibly pretentious, too.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM

390 posts, read 1,043,072 times
Let's not forget that Gap just left the FF Mall! They are the Greene now....and Old Navy is at the Greene too. idk about H&M at the FF Mall, I think UD students would support more and a location for such a style of clothing is better there anyway. most WSU students are commuters anyway.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM

390 posts, read 1,043,072 times
What do you think will happen once "The Heights" goes up in Huber? I mean...thats just 10-15 north of FF Mall....won't it eat from it too?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM

The last I heard, The Heights is moving away from a retail orientation and going to focus on being more of an R&D business office park type of development. Still, they hope to bring some retail there, just not as much as before.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,138,529 times
Some good calls on whats going on re FFC and The Greene. Seems that FFC was more upscale back when it opened and has slid, with The Greene moving into that market (and also pretty much wiping out Town & Country). Now FFC is turning into more a generic mall.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 AM

19 posts, read 61,141 times
Fairfield mall needs to allow Bus service. Recently Both UD and Wright State have international students arrived from all over the world. They dont have cars and they have to go to either Dayton mall or The Greene. Please consider adding the bus service to fairfield mall.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:08 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Hoping it won't be the "End of the Fairfield Commons Mall", but this was the thread I found dedicated only to the Fairfield commons mall so I thought I would post this here.

Excellent artcle (and NOT behind the paywall, how about that!)

Reinvesting key to survival of malls | Springfield, OH News | www.daytondailynews.com

Which includes this rendering of the mall post-Parisian demolition and with the new restaurants:

Can't wait to see it. Reinvesting in public amenities like malls will be critical for keeping the area looking vibrant and retaining people.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Considering this thread is now over three years old, it is safe to say I was (somewhat) wrong with this mall. While the state of brick-and-mortar retail is ever flowing, it is good to see Glimcher continue its investment in one of their premier properties.

From general, nationwide, high-end closings from the likes of Cache and Coldwater Creek, to mid-tier brands like Delia's, DEB, Body Central, Wet Seal (heavily downsized) and PS pulling up steaks, it just goes to show you retail can be a "funny" business. Hopefully, with the arrival of fresh renovations and blood, Fairfield will fill-in some of those spaces left by the likes of retailers-of-days-past. Looking at you Radio Shack and Master Cuts!

BJ's Brewhouse and Chuy's are a lock, and Bravo is in the city council docket phase.

The good news is the surrounding retail corridor is doing fantastic with limited leasing availability, prompting Hobby Lobby to build new (next to Target), IHOP also next door to that. McAllister's Deli next to Walmart has done really well. Fresh Thyme specialty grocer is filling out the Kohl's and Lowe's complex. And behind Chick-fil-a, a high-end senior housing (independent and assisted) block with ground-level retail below the apartments was recently proposed to the city and planning commission. This all should more than ever, help attrach people to a mall that was in sore need of updating after 20+ years of general maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton