Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM

430 posts, read 590,576 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!
My husband and I just bought an older Craftsman-style house in the "dreaded" Five Oaks district (next to Mt. Vernon). We're both educated, white-collar-professional types; husband is an engineer, I'm a historian. I'm interested in getting involved in Dayton's revitalization efforts and am posting here to meet some people who are involved/interested in that.

-Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,453,110 times
Congratulations and good luck in your efforts! Dayton is lucky to have someone like you and your husband.

Are you originally from SW Ohio or from out of the area?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 PM

We are originally from Northwest Indiana, where Chicago spills over into Indiana. We've been living in Fairborn since winter of 2010-2011, but we wanted a nice, historic home so we started looking at moving into Dayton proper.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,063,894 times
I'd check the Urban Ohio online forums as well. They may have some more information and expertise. Also, if you did not already know, there are the Dayton priority boards. There are also some people who live or have lived in Dayton that could probably help more than me.

Anyways, congratulations on the move and may it be joyful.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 6,196,253 times
Congrats! I don't care how many people slam Five Oaks, I love that neighborhood. Check Dayton Most Metro. From there message Bill Pote. He will be able to get you off and running. Again, congrats!!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM

20 posts, read 40,712 times
There is a lady named Theresa Gasper who rehabs homes, she does a lot of the work herself. She believes in the city and is trying to make it better, one home at a time. There is a link to her blog here. This is where I learned about her work.

Dayton #6 - PechaKucha Night

not sure we can post links here, in case that goes away;

http://pecha-kucha (dot) org/night/dayton/6

Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone. This should give me a good starting point.

It's nice to see everyone being so supportive. We've gotten some flak for moving into Dayton, especially the west side, but we love the house and just had to have it. The way some people talk about Five Oaks, you'd swear the west side had open class-warfare in the streets.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,740,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
Thanks for the info, everyone. This should give me a good starting point.

It's nice to see everyone being so supportive. We've gotten some flak for moving into Dayton, especially the west side, but we love the house and just had to have it. The way some people talk about Five Oaks, you'd swear the west side had open class-warfare in the streets.
Enlighten your critics. Five Oaks isn't "West Side" and never was. The "West Side" is south of Wolf Creek and exceptionally historic.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM

4,472 posts, read 6,196,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Enlighten your critics. Five Oaks isn't "West Side" and never was. The "West Side" is south of Wolf Creek and exceptionally historic.
No, in Dayton, west of the river is the west side / end.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,740,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
No, in Dayton, west of the river is the west side / end.
I'm sorry to tell you, but you are in a common error.

The Wright Brothers "West Side" and what people mean when they say "West Side" is the specific map area south of Wolf Creek (to West Third Street), west of the Great Miami River (NOT the Stillwater River).

Maps from around 1950 label it so.

It has been under other names as well, such as Inner West Prioty Board.

My family and friends lived in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton