Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,176,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
No she did not. She said as close as she could get and be in a safe neighborhood.
Then that would be in Downtown itself, since it is one of the safest neighborhoods in Dayton. Very little crime happens there and most of what does are car break ins, panhandling, and what not.

Next you have McPherson Town, Oregon District, South Park, and I forgot to mention Saint Anne's Hill.

I'm sorry, and I am not trying to call you out. I am just saying this case that Kettering and Oakwood are not close enough to downtown to warrant a recommendation. The OP would have around a 15 minute commute to either one if they are in rush hour traffic.

So I respect your right to recommend them as you see them. I just reserve my right to disagree. Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,053,915 times
I doubt it would be 15 minutes. Especially Oakwood. More like 10 or less. It takes me 15-20 minutes to drive the 12 miles door to door from UD to the far east side of Beavercreek. Only times it takes longer is when we have that 1 or 2 days of the year with heavy snow or a major road closure from an accident.

Just trying to keep facts straight. Yes, being closer to downtown would equal shorter commute times, but there is still the question of finding the right house at the right price. Housing stock has to be remembered in this equation. Being in St. Anne's Hill and Oakwood would be splitting hairs when it comes to a commute, especially when coming from an ~1 hour commute.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,176,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I doubt it would be 15 minutes. Especially Oakwood. More like 10 or less.
Not in rush hour. Any other time, then yes.

And St Anne's Hill is just on the other side of Keowee. They could WALK to work in Downtown. Oakwood? It's quite a bit further south on the other side of UD for pete sake. There is a huge difference in location and travel time.

McPherson, St Anne's Hill, and Oregon are all within walking distance. South Park not so much but still doable.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 PM

20 posts, read 40,682 times
I live in Beavercreek off of 35 and work downtown and it takes me 15 minutes to get to work. It sometimes takes 20 minutes when it is snowing or raining.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:12 AM

4 posts, read 6,899 times
I've lived in the Dayton area since 1996. I went to high school and my brother went to elementary/middle school/ high school in Fairborn SD. I then went on to college at Wright State University. My brother attends Sinclair Community College. I would say Fairborn is mostly an older community of military retirees; Wright-Patt AFB in located here; I felt extremely safe there and my parents still live there. Other communities I'd recommend are Centerville, Beavercreek, Kettering, Huber Heights, and Oakwood; they may have 10-40+ commutes to downtown, probably via 35. I'd stay away from the "westside" of Dayton .... across the river; not the nicest part of the city.
I highly recommend looking at a housing area near Huber Heights called Forest Ridge/Quail Hollow; I bought a house in this area 3 years ago and really enjoy the area. It's located right off of route 4 which can get you to the downtown area in well within 20min. There are also local roads (e.i. Valley Street) that take you in a direct 10 minute route to downtown/Riverscape area. This housing area is close to the major highways of I-70, I-75, and I-675. Dayton Children's Hospital is about 10 minutes away also right off of Valley Street in fact.
**Forest Ridge/Quail Hollow was originally developed for city employees (e.i. police/ firefighters) to live within the city of Dayton but their children could go to schools other than Dayton Public Schools. Depending on where the house is located in this housing area depends on the SD, e.i. my house is located in the Huber Heights SD. I do remember looking at houses that were in the Fairborn SD and I'm sure there are others. I'm a nurse and I have neighbors who are Dayton Police and Fire. I feel very safe in this neighborhood, being that I'm a single female. There are many families here with young children. There are also HOAs depending on what road you live on and they hold community events like Trick-or-Treat and Easter egg hunts and even have a monthly newsletter.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 412,949 times
Hello, I realise that I'm a bit late for this thread and I do apologise. I really hope that you do move to Dayton and find a nice place in the city downtown or in one of the nice historic districts. Dayton really is a wonderful city, yes it has it's problems and many obstacles, but I believe that Dayton also has a lot going for it and I think that many people have interest in Downtown Dayton and many want to see Downtown Dayton bounce back and prosper. I hope and pray that some day it will be a destination for people like it was back in it's prime. I really like the parks, nature and scenery that you can still enjoy within the city limits of Dayton. I love the tall buildings and trails by the river as well. I'd move downtown if I didn't have a big dog and if I hadn't been living the smalltown life for so long! Dayton is a perfect sized town so it isn't really too big or too small, it's only too big for me because I've been living in smalltowns for most of my life and driving in traffic makes me say unpleasant words! But I love Dayton and love to visit any time that I can. I also love the view from Woodland Cemetery, on which the highest point of Dayton is, I think. But I could very well be wrong about that, it's a beautiful area with a great view regardless though and if you're at all into cemeteries you can see the tombs of many famous Daytonians such as the great Paul Lawrence Dunbar, the Wright brothers and many more. There are many other wonderful things about the city too and I'm not always good at remembering everything but those were the places and things that came to my mind. I hope that you do move to Dayton but I wish you much success and happiness no matter where you move!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 PM

11 posts, read 24,369 times
look in Patterson Park, quiet and great for families and for kids growing up. close to the city, quaint homes with nice yards and pretty much close to everything - especially Marion's Pizza!!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM

55 posts, read 101,695 times
Hey there,

I live downtown and work in Centerville, which south of the city proper, but very accessible. It takes me approximately 20 minutes to get to work—it has never taken more than 25, and that's in rush hour. I don't take the highway, but the local roads. That's one thing I quickly realized about Dayton—there are endless ways, seemingly, to get anywhere.

If I were coming here to work downtown, I would DEFINITELY live downtown. I don't mind my commute, but who wants one if you can help it? The Cannery and St. Clair lofts are nice, but expensive (for Dayton prices!) considering what you actually get. Since school is not relevant yet, I would check out the Oregon District, St. Anne's Hill, South Park, and parts located even further into East Dayton that you may be comfortable with (some of the blocks are really lovely, actually, even if the neighborhood isn't). I've never felt "scared" (LOL!) in Newcom Plain and or Huffman; it's just, on the whole, rather poor. My partner lived on Samuel, past Drummer, which seems a sort of boundary for many. I have friends on 3rd, past Linden, who have a beautiful little home they just bought and transformed brilliantly (it was $35,000!). You also have McPherson Town (you'd over over a bridge and be downtown) or parts of Grafton Hill. Sometimes it depends on the block, so, like anywhere, you have to check it out. This was the same when I lived in NY for virtually my whole life, and off the orange line in Boston for a decade. I walk home alone at night; nothing happens. I am aware, always. But seriously, you'll be fine if you live in any of these places, but your quality of life will be better in some rather than others.

Also, it would take you less than 10 minutes to get to downtown from Oakwood in rush hour. It's 2-3 miles away, depending where you're at. I go there regularly, as my partner's family lives there. The east side of that neighborhood has some affordable houses. The west side is crazy rich. The only place I've been in Dayton where I thought "oh snap! not good" is Drexel by the VA. That is some run-down, vacant stuff right there.

Take a Google maps tour. It is really orienting. For real.

Best of luck!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,136,384 times
Good calls on Oakwood "East of Far Hills" and Patterson Park.

Straight shot down Shroyer to Irving, then to Main and then downtown. Fast.

(I'd also put in a plug for that little neighborhood along Shroyer and Irving, north of Patterson, along the Oakwood/Dayton city limits).

@@@

What do folks thing about that little neighborhood wedged between Wayne and Woodland Cemetary and UD (the one behind the Kroger and Tanks, where Steward comes out on to Wayn e)? Seems like that could be a safe, quite area with rentals? I think there is a UD student presence there, but it doesnt register on anybodies radar since its sort of hidden.

I walk through there on occasion and it doesnt look too bad.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,123,407 times
^Agreed. Seems like it could become a popular place for UD students who don't want to go through the university for housing.

It's a part of South Park, which is a very good neighborhood, so probably the future for this area is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton