Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,618 times

Advertisements

hello everyone. I have recently been asked if I would accept an offer to Dayton, Ohio. I was planning on moving to California (my home state), but I'm not sure that we are ready for it financially and the person that is making this offer is the best boss ever, so I am really considering Dayton, Ohio, atleast for a couple of years until we can make it to California. We have a one year old and a two and a half year old. I was working full time before but I hated the hour drive it took for me to get home. I got home at six and the babies go to sleep at nine so I didn't see them much. So, I want to be close to work, as close as I can get to downtown and still be in a safe neighborhood. The job is in the 45402 area code, its in downtown. I would like to get a three bedroom, i'm thinking renting a house would be the best thing for us. We dont really have support from either one of our families, so we have gotten accustomed to doing almost Everything together. I try to spend as most time I can with the kids, if we go out to a restaurants they are with us so we choose noisy spots where we see other families with other children and we are comfortable. Our entertainment is going to dinner, going to parks, watching movies at home and thats about it. about 1100 a month for rent is a reasonable budget. We love the beach and I'm sad were not going to be by the beach, but someone told me there is a lake nearby? Anyhow, the offer has not been made yet but if it is made I think I would start around May 1st. I'm really curious what downtown is like. Downtown is some cities its atrocious, dirty and have homeless everywhere. Other downtowns are very nice and clean and so i wonder if it would even be desirable to live in if we have toddlers. thanks ahead of time for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM

4,472 posts, read 6,197,215 times
Well, either live in the CBD. Or check the Oregon District or South Park. Best of Luck

The Cannery at Webster Station - Dayton Ohio

The Historic Oregon District | Dayton, Ohio

Historic South Park – Where neighbors become friends

Once you understand where the neighborhoods are located it should be easy enough to locate apartments / homes for rent via Craigslist or Backpages.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Also, please understand with Dayton it's a smaller city and people will generally tell you to steer clear of the city because of all the crime. I used to live in Dayton proper and am a former New Yorker. Crime in Dayton is nothing compared to a true big city.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM

Thanks Mr. TomJones ive seen a few of your replies on others threads, thanks for taking the time to reply. I will check out your links. Have a great day

Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM

12,073 posts, read 23,155,986 times
Do you want to live in the city or in the 'burbs? Most people go to Dayton to work and then leave the city for home. Meaningful retail is almost non-existent downtown, so you will have to leave to do shopping of just about anykind, however shopping is relatively close. Dayton has one of the worst public school systems in the state, while Dayton's immediate neighbor to the south (Oakwood) has one of the best public school systems in the state.

TJ123 gave you some links worth looking at.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Our kids are still too young for school, so now would be the only chance we would have to live in the city. Later on we would try to be near good schools, but I guess we would like to try the city for a couple of years. Are there any neighborhoods in the city that are decent where we could rent a house?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Linden heights is another inner city neighborhood that is very nice and reasonably close to downtown. And I would have to dispute that most people goto Dayton to work and then leave for home. Dayton is 140,000 or so people and the largest city in the region.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM

I don't know what your experience is, but right off the top of my head I know at least five dozen people who currently work in the city and only three of us live here.

OP--how set are you on a house? If you are not worried about schools right now, I'd look at one of the lofts downtown. The Oregon district is an option, I just don't know how often family sized places come open for rent.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM

My experience is living on the east side for several years. Me and many of my neighbors worked and lived in Dayton. Perhaps it's relative to one's location and experiences. But to suggest that people just show up to work in Dayton and then go home is not quite the full picture. OP stated he wanted to live in Downtown. I hope you wouldn't try and subtly dissuade them. All the best, joe, I will bow out now to let the thread take a non-Tom centric path. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:34 PM

Fair enough. We each gave our opions based on our experiences. In the spirit of disclosure, I have worked in Dayton for the past 15 years and have owned a home in East Dayton for the last 12 or so. I think Dayton has a lot going for it and a lot going against it. With that, I will bow out as well. I expect "wrightflyer" will be along to render another opinion. Best regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton