Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,139,056 times

Advertisements

The thread parent will love the Dayton area. Serioulsy, this is the kind of person or relocatee that this area is made for, that sells best to.

There are the older suburbs that frequently get mentioned, and yes they are mostly fairly nice, but there is also quite a bit of small town living well within commuting distance of Wright Patterson. Quality of life is outstanding if one prefers a low-key suburban, small town, or mini-farm (a few acres on a country road) lifestyle.

And water is NOT a problem...we have one of the largest ground water sources in Ohio, if not the midwest, and protected via wellfield/aquifer recharge zoning.

As for a job for the wife The medical fields here are booming..the fastest growing segement of the local economy... so the wife shouldnt have a problem finding work. For example, two new suburban hospitals have opened off I-675, and an urban one just opened a new "heart tower" expansion. Nearby Springfield also has a new hospital (and easy to live btw the Springfield and WPAFB).

Easier to give you places to avoid then places to live in.

From yr thread header, suburban areas closer to the base I'd avoid are:

Yellow Springs (too crunchy granola/liberal/hipster)
Xenia (too redneck/poor white trash)
Riverside (same as Xenia)
(tho there are nice areas of Riverside and Xenia)
Parts of Fairborn (older parts)
Northridge (also poor and redneck and just trashy and ugly)

....and that's pretty much it for bad or questionable areas (others may differ).

For more rural living I'd look at Bethel Township (rural small farm lifestyle), Tipp City or New Carlisle (maybe more Tipp City?) or anywhere north of Wright-Patterson (Miami County).

Since the thread header has a young kid the schools might be important. Cant say much about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,931,119 times
Thanks for your inputs, DS. Lots to consider.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Also, a tax issue. Ohio has municiple income tax, meaning if you live in an incorporated area you might be paying a local income tax. You will not be paying this tax if you live in an unincorporated community.

The exception to this is Beavercreek, which has no city income tax. This is perhaps one reason why Beavercreek is such a popular place with households affliated with Wright-Patterson AFB, since people working on-base are exempt from city income tax. Beavercreek is also right next to a part of the base, so easy commuting.

@@@@

I should qualify what I mean when I say "poor white trash" or similar terms. Dayton used to be a big blue collar community and a number of these suburbs I mentioned have areas that had a lot of factory workers, postwar (1950s) as well as wartime (WWII) development. So these areas are seeing a lot of downward mobility since factory work has declined since starting in 1970..decades of job loss. This has had an ongoing negative impact on incomes and also various types of social problems impacts on these mid-century suburbs. Just something to be aware of.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,978 times
As I understand it -- note that -- there is a big aquifer west of the Mississippi that runs down into Texas. The water might be a more important factor in this case than apparent with a quick look.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM

^
The Ogalla Aquifer?

I think this one was being "water-mined" starting in the 1970s or earlier, for center-pivot irrigation.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:32 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
The Ogalla Aquifer?

I think this one was being "water-mined" starting in the 1970s or earlier, for center-pivot irrigation.
Yes. Don't know much about it except that it exists.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,931,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Dayton used to be a big blue collar community and a number of these suburbs I mentioned have areas that had a lot of factory workers, postwar (1950s) as well as wartime (WWII) development. So these areas are seeing a lot of downward mobility since factory work has declined since starting in 1970..decades of job loss. This has had an ongoing negative impact on incomes and also various types of social problems impacts on these mid-century suburbs. Just something to be aware of.
Is the city council or local leaders trying to rectify this? Are they putting in measures to draw new types of business into the area, or are they just sort of maintaining the status quo?

Sometimes it takes groups and civil organization (like Nickolaseposter was referring to) to progress the city. Other times, local leaders understand what it takes to identify and actually take actionable measures to try to turn the city around.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,180,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Is the city council or local leaders trying to rectify this? Are they putting in measures to draw new types of business into the area, or are they just sort of maintaining the status quo?
Status quo. Any serious redevelopment in Dayton will have to come from the private sector. Look up 3CDC in Cincy to see what I mean. There is movement underway in Dayton to do something similar but I do not know if it's gaining any traction yet.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,107,524 times
The city is trying, but is not having a lot of success.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Status quo. Any serious redevelopment in Dayton will have to come from the private sector. Look up 3CDC in Cincy to see what I mean. There is movement underway in Dayton to do something similar but I do not know if it's gaining any traction yet.
+1 for 3CDC. I think there is a similar org for the Oregon District, but that is different from downtown.

One criticism I have heard about 3CDC from the Cincinnati posters is that it does not focus on anything outside the immediate downtown.

Even a private org has its limits, but something is better than nothing. Dayton is leaning towards the nothing category though some things are trying to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton