Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,183,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
My question is... would that truly benefit Dayton? I would think a combined metro would put most, if not all of the emphasis and attention on Cincinnati. After all, it will be called the Cincinnati metro, not the Dayton metro. It might bring positives to Cincinnati, but otherwise Dayton's problems will still exist and it won't have a name for itself anymore.
Why do you fight the obvious?

According to the 2010 Census Cincinnati and Dayton are already considered an Urban Agglomeration. As is Cleveland-Akron-Canton-Lorain-Elyria. And it would buoy the Dayton region as well. Dayton's problems (The city of Dayton) are there and need to be addressed on their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Scroll down the link, look up the definition for agglomeration, and come back with something really backhanded and negative to say. When you are finished head back over to C-Bus to find the safest wal-mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,448,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post

According to the 2010 Census Cincinnati and Dayton are already considered an Urban Agglomeration. As is Cleveland-Akron-Canton-Lorain-Elyria. And it would buoy the Dayton region as well. Dayton's problems (The city of Dayton) are there and need to be addressed on their own.

Scroll down the link, look up the definition for agglomeration, and come back with something really backhanded and negative to say. When you are finished head back over to C-Bus to find the safest wal-mart.
He has a very good reason for fighting the obvious. Isolated Columbus, which has no possible partner to create its own metroplex, would be a distant third to Cincinnati and Cleveland in Ohio - in just about every meaningful way.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,183,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
He has a very good reason for fighting the obvious. Columbus, which has no possible partner to create its own metroplex
Columbus - an island to itself.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,824,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
My question is... would that truly benefit Dayton? I would think a combined metro would put most, if not all of the emphasis and attention on Cincinnati. After all, it will be called the Cincinnati metro, not the Dayton metro. It might bring positives to Cincinnati, but otherwise Dayton's problems will still exist and it won't have a name for itself anymore.
It didn't seem to hurt Ft Worth. Ft Worth is now bigger than Cincinnati.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,995,912 times
Quote:
Columbus - an island to itself.
IT CERTAINLY IS NOT! (it has Chillicothe... )

Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,995,912 times
Quote:
Shocker! Some good news for the Cincinnati-Dayton region and look who comes scurrying by to throw a wet towel on things. If Columbus, tomorrow, gained 2,000 new residents, you would be the first to come on here trumpeting the news.

This is VERY good news for Dayton.
Various contributors will ALWAYS persist in denying the existence of CIN-DAY. So pu-leeze don't encourage any of these notorious skeptics (the majority of whom are motivated by envy) by continuing to direct them to the obvious. This only encourages their typical knee-jerk response of either an apologetic dissertation, an ear-piercing LALALALALA mantra, or a deluge of computer-generated statistics that could easily threaten our net-servers--so please use discretion.

Last edited by motorman; 04-10-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,954,546 times
Quote:
Shocker! Some good news for the Cincinnati-Dayton region and look who comes scurrying by to throw a wet towel on things. If Columbus, tomorrow, gained 2,000 new residents, you would be the first to come on here trumpeting the news.

This is VERY good news for Dayton.
If based an an actual census, sure. I, like many, take estimates for what they are. I already said that I'm a fan of Dayton, because I think it probably takes more crap than any metro in the state or is totally forgotten. But I also don't take a single, 1-year estimate that has followed decades of population loss as gospel. I hope it's true, but I'd like to see, at the very least, future estimates continue to show that trend before I offer congratulations. I think you took my post to be something it really wasn't.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Fight what obvious? I asked a legitimate question. Could Dayton maintain a true, independent identity as, let's face it, a very secondary part of Cincinnati's larger metro?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
He has a very good reason for fighting the obvious. Isolated Columbus, which has no possible partner to create its own metroplex, would be a distant third to Cincinnati and Cleveland in Ohio - in just about every meaningful way.
For being a "distant third", you guys sure do panic and become incredibly defensive at every mention of it. I didn't mention Columbus at all and you have 50 people rushing in to trash it. You sure took my posts about Dayton completely wrong.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
It didn't seem to hurt Ft Worth. Ft Worth is now bigger than Cincinnati.
Dayton is not and has never been a Ft. Worth, so that's apples and oranges.

So no one thinks it could potentially hurt Dayton in the long run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton