U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM

2,100 posts, read 1,424,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Fight what obvious? I asked a legitimate question. Could Dayton maintain a true, independent identity as, let's face it, a very secondary part of Cincinnati's larger metro?
Listen, fella! This desperate Ohio River queen of ours will sleep with just about anything that will make her pregnant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 AM

24,843 posts, read 30,109,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Listen, fella! This desperate Ohio River queen of ours will sleep with just about anything that will make her pregnant...
Now that's funny right there ...

Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 AM

3,863 posts, read 2,522,948 times
Quote:
Fight what obvious? I asked a legitimate question. Could Dayton maintain a true, independent identity as, let's face it, a very secondary part of Cincinnati's larger metro?
Yeah, sure it will. Dayton isnt as much a part of Cincy as, say, Hamilton or Covington. Distance is still far enough so Dayton will have its own thing going on. Its actually better to live in Dayton area and make a zip down to Cincy for the occasional thing than vice versa. So more of a benefit to the Dayton region. Benefit of midsize metro having a larger metro next door, but none of the hassles.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM

7,429 posts, read 4,487,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Yeah, sure it will. Dayton isnt as much a part of Cincy as, say, Hamilton or Covington. Distance is still far enough so Dayton will have its own thing going on. Its actually better to live in Dayton area and make a zip down to Cincy for the occasional thing than vice versa. So more of a benefit to the Dayton region. Benefit of midsize metro having a larger metro next door, but none of the hassles.
You basically have that now, without a combined metro. I really do think that Dayton will lose something being a part of the Cincinnati metro. Maybe it will be more positive in the end, maybe not, but unless Dayton starts seeing some serious growth, I think the ultimate destination is a far second place while the attention shifts almost entirely to Cincinnati. If Dayton's cool with that, so be it.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM

3,863 posts, read 2,522,948 times
^
Sure we do. But this just makes that interaction official. The merge will be based on Warren/Butler sharing a commuter pool btw Cincy and Dayton, and attracting business from both of them.

Daytonnati (lets call it that since it sounds good) will be sort of Liverpool/Manchester situation, since this is more like Lancashire, an urban region of two large cities, with three smaller cities (Hamilton, Middletown, and Springfield),equivilant to the textile towns of Lancashire (Bolton, Preston, etc), and Northern KY is like the Wirral, across the Mersey. Then you have the old county towns which would be equivilant to old historic centers like Chester.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM

4,007 posts, read 2,394,165 times
Quote:
I really do think that Dayton will lose something being a part of the Cincinnati metro.
Def. not, and for the same reasons ^^ stated. I used to live in Dayton for a couple years, campaigned for the mayor, know several insider business types, etc. (and not that I am somebody.) Dayton would garner major name recognition being part of the Cincy metro, it would bring a major spotlight on the Dayton region's assets. Dayton proper has a long way to go and the region has basically moved on w/o the city. The potential metro merger may actually help attract investment in downtown Dayton.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Def. not, and for the same reasons ^^ stated. I used to live in Dayton for a couple years, campaigned for the mayor, know several insider business types, etc. (and not that I am somebody.) Dayton would garner major name recognition being part of the Cincy metro, it would bring a major spotlight on the Dayton region's assets. Dayton proper has a long way to go and the region has basically moved on w/o the city. The potential metro merger may actually help attract investment in downtown Dayton.
Yeah, I just don't see it. Dayton isn't adding Cincinnati, Cincinnati will add Dayton. And I wonder, if the merger will be so good for Dayton since everything will be bigger, why isn't it helping the actual city of Cincinnati, which is already part of a significantly larger metro? You guys act like size is all that matters to the equation, but there's more to it than that. The Detroit metro is almost 3x larger than any Ohio metro, but how's that working out? And what's the 2nd city listed in the metro title? You know Detroit, who knows Livonia or Warren? In any case, it's not up to any of us. If the two cities meet the qualifications, they will be put together, unless the Census either strengthens criteria or changes the definitions.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 PM

4,007 posts, read 2,394,165 times
Quote:
Yeah, I just don't see it.
You don't really need to. It is what it is. You would have to live in Dayton, understand the Dayton Metro and it's strengths to understand what that will add to the Cincy metro. There is a lot tucked away in Dayton and surrounding burbs. It isn't the fourth largest metro in Ohio for no reason. Even though most people (me included) living in Cincy don't think of Dayton too often, the metro itself is important and has a lot going for it. The developers reaching north and south from each region know what they are doing.

It's a whole different world between Columbus and Dayton.

Oh, it would help both cities in fact by the regions sharing their strengths, which (unofficially) they already do to a degree.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:20 AM

3,272 posts, read 2,931,573 times
Dayton doesn't have to be officially added for whatever strengths to be actionable. The designation of a metro is just that. Adding Dayton to Cincy would mean that the areas have sprawled in a worse fashion than what has happened. People saying that want that just so they can say they live in a "city" of 3 million don't get it.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Dayton doesn't have to be officially added for whatever strengths to be actionable. The designation of a metro is just that. Adding Dayton to Cincy would mean that the areas have sprawled in a worse fashion than what has happened. People saying that want that just so they can say they live in a "city" of 3 million don't get it.
Pretty much. Whether or not people think the combination is already true or is inevitable, the reality is that for them to be connected that way, sprawl has to have become so bad between them to have filled in the distance. That is really not a good thing.

You're also correct in that if they already have a significant connection, an official designation should not be needed to promote development in the Dayton area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton