U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,245 posts, read 5,754,530 times
Reputation: 2958

Advertisements

Getting back to the thread header:

Quote:
If things are beginning to develop, naturally, what are your thoughts about this? Do you think this could work? Do you think people are on to something and want to take advantage of a possible gay district? I'd like to hear opinions!!!!
The upside of this part of downtown is that it still has a number of little storefronts that could be good locations for specialty/pop-up type businesses, like the ones you mentioned. So this is a retail/hospitlaity (bars, clubs, food maybe) concept for now.

The housing aspect ...well, first, interesting to hear about the St Clair Lofts, as I was thinking of moving there myself at one time. But beyond that I think there is an incomes issue here.

There is sort of an assumption that gays and lesbians have a lot of disposable income, hence can afford "lofty" (pardon the pun) housing prices. The reality is quite different.

The only hard numbers we have on incomes was the study prepared by a research center affiliated with UCLA, using census data on same-sex couples, and it found that gay males earn less...household incomes are less than for comparable straights...in Ohio (they do a state-by-state analyses).

So tho there seems to be a possible market, bringing product...enough product to make this a l-g oriented residential district as well as a nightspot... to market at affordable rates is going to be questionable, due to development costs associated with loft conversions and inner city property redevelopment like the Lighthouse.

In reality what is going to happen is this area will be more a pitch to affluent urban hipsters who are cool with l-g folks, or see them as sort of a marker for an area being "ok" or getting "ok". Is there enough of these folks...who can afford the housing costs, to make this happen? Good question.

Last edited by Dayton Sux; 04-12-2012 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Really?!? That's all you got from my post? You poor, poor, man. I pretend nothing, and have stated my position with no hidden difference in any post. I'm sorry you have such a chip on your shoulder and crusade in your heart that it's impossible to talk to you rationally.

You're the one who won't move someplace because they might not actively discriminate against gays, but I'm the one who isn't rational?

I could say I went to the zoo today, and you'd find a way for me to be prejudiced against the monkeys or something.

Considering that makes absolutely no sense, no, I probably wouldn't. If you said you wouldn't move to a place that had a zoo that contained monkeys, that would be closer, but still not exactly the position you stated when it comes to Dayton and gays.

So, I guess someone says "We (demographic here) want to rebuild (whatever needs rebuilding here). What do you think?" And everyone has to say it's a great idea, huh? Because that's what you're saying. Because I disagree with it for my reasons, you don't like that. And, therefore, I'm not allowed to express myself according the 1st Amendment unless I agree with you and your values, huh?

Where did I say you weren't allowed your opinions? I fully support your right to hold whatever personal views you want. But at the same time, do not pretend like sharing those views in a public forum means that there won't be any consequences or that other people aren't allowed to express their right to disagree vehemently. Not to mention that, at the very least, the actual science and facts support my position, and common decency would support that it's not okay to act like treating gays as people would be a negative that would prevent you moving someplace.

Okay... everyone hear that?!!? You HAVE to say you like the idea, period, or your a (place derogatory term or name here)!!!!

If that's not what you're saying, I'd sure like to hear what it is. All this rhetoric your spewing is because I didn't positively jump the premise of the original post. Or, please, feel free to enlighten me some more.
Enlightenment comes from within, or at least the ability to open a book (or Google) and satisfy intellectual curiosity long enough to form an educated position on a topic. In this case, gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Getting back to the thread header:



The upside of this part of downtown is that it still has a number of little storefronts that could be good locations for specialty/pop-up type businesses, like the ones you mentioned. So this is a retail/hospitlaity (bars, clubs, food maybe) concept for now.

The housing aspect ...well, first, interesting to hear about the St Clair Lofts, as I was thinking of moving there myself at one time. But beyond that I think there is an incomes issue here.

There is sort of an assumption that gays and lesbians have a lot of disposable income, hence can afford "lofty" (pardon the pun) housing prices. The reality is quite different.

The only hard numbers we have on incomes was the study prepared by a research center affiliated with UCLA, using census data on same-sex couples, and it found that gay males earn less...household incomes are less than for comparable straights...in Ohio (they do a state-by-state analyses).

So tho there seems to be a possible market, bringing product...enough product to make this a l-g oriented residential district as well as a nightspot... to market at affordable rates is going to be questionable, due to development costs associated with loft conversions and inner city property redevelopment like the Lighthouse.

In reality what is going to happen is this area will be more a pitch to affluent urban hipsters who are cool with l-g folks, or see them as sort of a marker for an area being "ok" or getting "ok". Is there enough of these folks...who can afford the housing costs, to make this happen? Good question.
The bottom line is that Dayton is going to have to get some kind of demand going for its urban space beyond a handful of gay bars. It's going to have to come up with some high-profile projects to get the ball rolling. People want urban settings now for the first time in decades, so the time is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,893,343 times
Reputation: 9895
I'm guilty! We've lived here since 2000 and I think we've had breakfast at Tank's Bar three times and ate at Boulevard Haus once. I wish we had more time to experience all that downtown Dayton offers. But with our work schedules, it's eat, sleep & work during the week. And do the chores and mostly just grab something to eat down here in the (mostly) boring 'burbs...sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 04:42 PM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,655,718 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Let's be honest here, you used the OP as a jumping point to state your personal bias against gays and you got called out for it. Now pretending like you're some innocent victim being unfairly maligned is also not going to fly. Grow up and at least accept responsibility for the unfortunate views you hold.


Good response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,831,178 times
Reputation: 924
I dunno, I have refrained from chiming in because I suspect the OP has been trolling all along and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,655,718 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I'm guilty! We've lived here since 2000 and I think we've had breakfast at Tank's Bar three times and ate at Boulevard Haus once. I wish we had more time to experience all that downtown Dayton offers. But with our work schedules, it's eat, sleep & work during the week. And do the chores and mostly just grab something to eat down here in the (mostly) boring 'burbs...sigh.
Check out Ladder 11 - it's in a new location in an 1890s firehouse on Brown Street. It's definitely worth a visit!

Jimmie's Ladder 11 | 937.424.1784
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 03:09 PM
 
389 posts, read 888,612 times
Reputation: 154
I think in good reasonable humor it would be okay for me to say that the people on this thread are cattier than any drag queens I've ever seen. 9Just keeping it on a light-hearted note). But honestly, I really started the thread to hear opinions about this idea, not gays specifically, or personal opinions on gays....more about whether you think this would work in Dayton with proper organization as I know a neighborhood organization for the Fruit Loop has started...Thanks to those who stay on topic. (Thanks to those who stuck up for us homo's, too but please stay on topic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 03:14 PM
 
Location: A voice of truth, shouted down by fools.
1,086 posts, read 2,223,983 times
Reputation: 894
The name "Fruit Loop" just kills me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Reputation: 52080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
The name "Fruit Loop" just kills me.
I like it, too. It's playful, original, and it certainly beats "gayborhood."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top