Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 8,346 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am / will be a brand new 2Lt attending AFIT and classes start Sept 4. I need to find myself a place to live. I've looked at some apartments but it's hard to find reviews from people who live there online, as well as info on local area. I figured this forum would be the easiest way to reach some locals who know the area. So, suggestions on good places to get 1 bedroom apartments? Preferably close to AFIT as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
What exactly is your budget?

There are a number of apartments around the base, some better than others. Most of the newer ones are in Beavercreek. Older ones are in Riverside and Fairborn. Kettering also has some decent, but older apartments. These places range over a wide price range and there are many options, thus the budget question.

Either way, good luck at AFIT!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM

I get $897 for housing. Which should include water, electricity, heat, internet, etc. on top of rent. That's my absolute upper limit, I would like to do a little cheaper so I can save some of the extra money. I've found some decent looking, fairly cheap apartments in "woodman park". Know anything particular about there?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM

235 posts, read 432,653 times
Personally, I would stay away from Woodman Park. The police are in there numerous times a day. There are a few apartments on Harshman, which is only about 5 minutes from the base. You may want to check them out. Amhurst is reasonable, and the apartments are perfect for one person. They seem a little small, but perfect for one person. And it's reasonably quiet. There are other apartments all up and down the street. Just start at one end and stop at each one.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
Most of Beavercreek would be out of your budget. Or at least it would stretch it.

One complex that gets little talk is the Red Deer Apts. and another complex with a similar set up next door (can't remember its name). They sit along Valle Greene Drive next to I-675 south of Dayton-Yellow Springs.

Personally, I find Fairborn to be more spotty with its apartments than Riverside, though Harshman Rd. has its share of problem complexes too. Just seems less so than much of Fairborn. Still, as I mentioned, there are parts of Fairborn that are affordable and safe, especially out towards I-675 around Day-Yellow Springs Rd. and Trebein Rd.

Also, look for condos that may be up for lease. The condo market here is hurting and there may be a few places willing to rent out at apartment prices. Especially 1-bedrooms.

Kettering is pretty big, and it too has some older, more shady complexes, but most (like Riverside) are fine. To be closer to AFIT (access off I-675 at exit 15) stay east of Far Hills. Most of the apartments are over there anyways. The fancier side of Kettering is west of Far Hills.

As a note, some of the smaller complexes don't advertise on the internet. Perhaps talking to someone via Wright-Patt's housing office could help (do they still have that office?) find those places if you cannot get out here and look personally.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,157,559 times
I work in Area A and live in Charterwoods which is right across the street from the Area B (AFIT) gate. The guy above me is an AFIT student. I've had others live next to me, diagonal up from me (a guy living has just PCS'ed). My building is across the street from the main office. The guy upstairs walks over at 0600 in the morning. Couldn't be more convenient. The staff is pretty good, maintenance is prompt.
It is a little older so the kitchen cabs don't look as nice as some newer places and they have formica, bathroom linoleum instead of tile, but its all very liveable, nice enough. My apt is bottom floor with apts on either side so I get wind and heat/cooling advantages from that and my utilities seem pretty reasonable to me (depends on what your used to I guess). Plenty of parking in my lot. If you want a garage they are extra and in a different lot (see no point in that). There are college students sprinkled around and in the neighboring complex. Some young families, some younger workers. Sometimes the college kids get a good party going, depends. I initially thought I would buy when I came here 5 years ago but never did.
This is very close to the Beavercreek mall area with restaurants, movie theater. If you want clubs and stuff (such as there is in Dayton,) then you'd go downtown or suburbs south but its not far.

link with prices

Charter Woods

Old 04-21-2012, 04:40 AM

Thanks everyone for your help! After not paying attention in class and spending time instead searching online for apartments, I think I've narrowed it down to three that I am very interested in.

The Village at Beavercreek. About 12 minutes south of AFIT, it's fairly large (766 sq ft), at least relative to the dorm room I'm in now and looks really nice. The lady I contacted also said the unit I was interested in has a washer and dryer already in there at no extra cost.

Avalon Place at Fairborn. It's 8 minutes east, but a little smaller (615 sq ft) but $150/month cheaper. Or I could get one even larger than the first (790 sq ft) but still $60/month cheaper. However, I haven't heard the greatest things about the surrounding area.

Or finally, the one suggest by Giesela, the Charter Woods apartments. It's literally right outside AFIT. I wouldn't even have to drive. It's 627 sq ft but at same cost as the first apartment at 766 sq ft.

I've contacted all 3 apartment complexes and so far the first two have responded. They both offer a few discounts, but nothing fantastic to sway my opinion drastically. I'll more than likely make my decision after viewing them in person. If anyone else had anything they think I should know about any of these complexes, or any apartments that are simply amazing then please feel free to respond!

Thanks again for everyone's help! This is my first time doing this and would have been lost starting from scratch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton