Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,738,579 times

Advertisements

If we are going to seriously discuss the fairgrounds, let's at least use a thread for it instead of stringing it out from a topic started by someone from Australia now presumably comfortably back in Australia if not busily looking over business opportunities someplace else like New Zealand.

It's a crime against society to bulldoze substantial history. History tells us what has been tried in some situation or another and whether or not it worked.

Fortunately or unfortunately Dayton has been provided with three strains of very substantial history. Like the person inheriting a billion dollars or a throne, the community (including those originating in Dayton and subsequently escaping to suburbia) can assume the responsibility inherited or carry some label of very negative tone.

If SunWatch is indeed of the Cahokia civilization, as was suggested somewhere, it's best to take care of it and anything related. Cahokia is already on the U.N. World Heritage List.

If anything changed the course of human history, it was the Wright Brothers' work. Without getting off the ground, man and animal alike is earthbound. ...Plants, too. Now are all in an endless universe. And, that's above and beyond the remarkable social messages of the Wright Brothers' story.

If there was a second pivotal event in human history, one must consider the development of atomic power and the potential power to destroy everything on earth held in human hands. ...Which brings us back to Dayton and the Manhattan Project.

(More later.)

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 04-21-2012 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Emphasis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 AM

4,472 posts, read 6,189,190 times
To be clear, I'm not advocating wiping out Dayton's history. In fact, I love all of it's historical districts and have meandered through most streets in each district on my bike. McPherson Town is probably my favorite. Also, the city has no business trying to develop anything, and I am sure most of it's leaders and planners are embedded in the city at this point. They simply aren't developers.

I am speaking more specifically of the idea, and it is pushed in Dayton often, that because Dayton had a glorious past that it will have a great future as well. I don't think Dayton's future will be that great w/o stabilizing the urban core, attracting new residents and businesses, and eventually making downtown vibrant once again. Thats just IMHO though.

I appreciate your post.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
To be clear, I'm not advocating wiping out Dayton's history. In fact, I love all of it's historical districts and have meandered through most streets in each district on my bike. McPherson Town is probably my favorite. Also, the city has no business trying to develop anything, and I am sure most of it's leaders and planners are embedded in the city at this point. They simply aren't developers.

I am speaking more specifically of the idea, and it is pushed in Dayton often, that because Dayton had a glorious past that it will have a great future as well. I don't think Dayton's future will be that great w/o stabilizing the urban core, attracting new residents and businesses, and eventually making downtown vibrant once again. Thats just IMHO though.

I appreciate your post.
I'm glad you like McPherson Town, a kind of isolated little patch tucked just below the riverbank....

In the dark ages, I had a friend who lived a bit north of there on Five Oaks Avenue, a street that has long carried people west/east with a neat avoidance of traffic lights. She moaned over the alien traffic going down her street, a rather common moan several places at the time. As she was firmly seated in the priority board seat, I suggested she negotiate with the city to have one of the city's potted trees relocated in the middle of her street at North Main Street -- cheap, easy persuasion for strangers' cars to go elsewhere and a good test to see if the street should somehow be permanently blocked. Some weeks later a tree sat blocking cross town traffic not at Five Oaks Avenue, but at one of the streets through McPherson Town. I hope I contributed well to the development of McPherson Town and your enjoyment of it.

Now, getting back to the fairgrounds....

Most of the city's leaders and planners have been rather like a bat boy without instructions running around at a world series game. And, that's been largely unavoidable. The percentage of genius is limited anywhere, and in Dayton that didn't exactly fall to politicians. As I said somewhere, someone who didn't know what to say had to say something. And, if I'm guessing right, that person may even be dead already.

Dayton may indeed have a great future, but "modernizing" and checking to see what's being done elsewhere has already proven to be a dismal failure (I think).

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 04-21-2012 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: missing words

Old 04-21-2012, 02:01 PM

4,472 posts, read 6,189,190 times
I agree. Dayton's downtown already has that modernistic feel to it, though I do like the skyline. There are some who are all too happy to demolish Dayton. I hate that, though some blighted properties should go. It seems they are sort of demolition crazy around there these days. Especially in Historic Inner East. So many of those homes recently razed could have been rehabbed.

As for the Fairgrounds, It's no dilapidated or unkempt, just in an awkward location and vastly under used. That's why I would say use it, spiff it up a little or just move it elsewhere to a better suited spot. It seems MVH and UD have swallowed it up so to speak.

Now who knows what type of miracles would need to happen to get Montgomery County and The City of Dayton to work together. I don't think they have too good of a track record there.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 PM

All one has to do is look at a few pictures of Arab capital cities to come to the conclusion that there isn't a chance of being near to "in the running" with such things as "modernizing."

That's apart from the fact that "modern" changes every twenty years. And, what good is a glitzy skyline other than a something to distinguish one year's telephone books from another? Trying to be "modern" is a waste of time and money. Now, if there's a need for a new building or some such thing, that's a different matter.

I'll agree to your suggestions to use it more and spiff it up. As for moving it, I can't see anyone from Greene county being overjoyed about driving the extra miles if it's located west of Dayton and the same is true for people from Darke county if it's somehow worked into a more southeast location. Put some caged chickens or rabbits in a car and drive around for a while and see what good it does them.

MVH and UD should really have little effect on the fairgrounds -- it never seemed to hurt it to sit across from NCR. NCR wasn't little for a long, long time.

The last time I looked (it's been some years), I don't think all of the people on the fair board were from anywhere in Montgomery county.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM

390 posts, read 1,043,709 times
IMO, there are definitely some areas in Dayton that could you us a bulldozer. They aren't really doing anything for the city and no one will look to fix anything up if some cuts don't happen. Personally, anything built between 1950-1970 that isn't a highrise should be torn down.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
IMO, there are definitely some areas in Dayton that could you us a bulldozer. They aren't really doing anything for the city and no one will look to fix anything up if some cuts don't happen. Personally, anything built between 1950-1970 that isn't a highrise should be torn down.
Well, maybe not quite everything -- I think they started planning Sinclair before 1970.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:13 PM

41,748 posts, read 74,742,297 times
LOL, there goes a good chunk of UD's campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton