Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM

14,637 posts, read 14,509,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I've been in the presence of some local right wing types who seem to like the idea of dropping tactical nukes on Yellow Springs in order to clear out the hippies and their dreaded rainbow values, or at least building a 12 foot barrier around the village to keep the fleas inside.

Truth to tell, the hippies in YS can be overbearing, self righteous and snarky. Spending over an hour waiting on a very simple order of what turned out to be mediocre pizza at Ha Ha Pizza one afternoon a year ago, I realized how the holier than thou hippie mentality can be grating.

I just like that YS is different and I especially relish the fact that the village irritates the hell out of jarhead types in neighboring areas.
Next time try Bentino's...it's cheaper, and better.

One thing I find alarming about YS is the age demographic. According to the 2010 Census figures:
In the village the population was spread out with 19.7% under the age of 18, 4.9% from 18 to 24, 20.6% from 25 to 44, 33.1% from 45 to 64, and 21.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48.5 years. Yellow Springs, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know that was taken during Antioch's downtime, but still it makes me wonder if there will be a younger generation who will pick up the village's core values from decades past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The hippies are all senior citizens. People who would have been "hippies" in the 1960s are now in their 60s and 70s...retirment age.

I think this incessant drumbeat from local opinion as Yellow Springs as "where the hippies" are is more an example of how provincial and stuck-in-the-past Daytonians in general are....people who "don't get out much". They can't seem to get their head around just what Yellow Springs is now, which is more of a bourgouis bohemian scene. Which would be familiar to anyone who has travelled or lived elsewhere, or even tried to keep up with the evolution of pop culture and the various subcultures out there.

But no, it's more convenient, or more intellectualy lazy, to rattle off the hoary old stereotypes....
If you were addressing me -

Liberal bohemian == hippies.

Or rather, the bourgeois bohemians are today's standard bearers for the attitudes and culture of the 1960s hippies. As well as crunchy granola types and the hemp accessory wearers.

The big difference today is that bohemians mainly seem to be about culture and style. Hippies were more about non comformity and the rejection of authority. I expect that 2/3 of the bourgeois bohemians you're gonna find in YS have day jobs at the base or at local financial institutions.

Back in the 80s friends and I used to contemptuously call the day tourists streaming into YS with base parking stickers "Volvo hippies".

I do get that distinction. The word hippie captures the vibe the closest, even if the original notion of a smelly dropout dissenter is pretty much obsolete.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 48,003 times
Agree in part to all the above posts. YS is not hard left, but I suspect that it never really was and its past reputation as such is due to blurred memory and overreaction from its real rightwing neighbors.

The aging of the village is real. I hope that the new Antioch College will reverse that trend. I would not expect today's youth to ape sixties radicals, anyway. New times, new solutions.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Ohio View Post
The aging of the village is real. I hope that the new Antioch College will reverse that trend. I would not expect today's youth to ape sixties radicals, anyway. New times, new solutions.
There are tons of kids there on the street (probably mostly tourists) but aging is the right word - YS feels tired, stale even, and needs some renewal.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 08-21-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton