Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,175,095 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Michigan I knew where all the good places were to buy certain things. There was a place over by Kalamazoo that grew all the latest and older varieties of vegetable and herbs. Liked a different place for annuals, and so on.

Still in an apt but got a plot in the Fairborn Community Garden, a nice little place, well run by a volunteer Greene county Master Gardener. Hopefully my back will allow!

So I'm looking for good places to buy vegetable and herb plants, other than the big box stores.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,693,105 times
If you are willing to drive a little, Bern's Garden Center in Middletown is sprawling and has bloody near anything that will grow in this region that you could want. They have a great depth of selection of things like herbs.

It is at the corner of Greentree Road and Dixie Highway just inside Middletown (closest highway junction is SR 122 and I-75.)

Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM

235 posts, read 433,312 times
North Dayton Garden Center is great, and pretty close to you. They've been in business forever, and is family run. They're located on Brandt Pike. If you're coming from Fairborn, take Harshman to Brandt, and turn left. They are across the street from the Hostess "used bread" store.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,064,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
If you are willing to drive a little, Bern's Garden Center in Middletown is sprawling and has bloody near anything that will grow in this region that you could want. They have a great depth of selection of things like herbs.

It is at the corner of Greentree Road and Dixie Highway just inside Middletown (closest highway junction is SR 122 and I-75.)
Your in for even more luck, as Bern's now has an outpost (a decent size one too) in Beavercreek. Corner of Grange Hall and Indian Ripple, a mile or two east of The Greene.

I like Siebenthaler's and Knollwood in Beavercreek. Siebenthaler's has an on-site nursery but it has shrunk (probably due to tax reasons, land is expensive in Beavercreek). Still has a lot of land and greenhouses though. Beaver Valley Rd, south of the Kemp Rd intersection. (Not far from where I live).

Knollwood has greenhouses on site too. My parents usually get their veggies here and have used Knollwood for other garden needs for years. It is on Dayton-Xenia between North Fairfield and Grange Hall Rd (west of N Fairfield). Both Knollwood and Siebenthaler's are family operations I believe.

I'm sure there are other nurseries in the area, but since there are three good ones in Beavercreek, we usually don't leave town for the gardening needs.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,491,262 times
We'll definitely second the vote for North Dayton Garden Center! (Wife has the green thumb, not I. But we also use Siebenthaler's (Far Hills Ave. location) and farther South on SR 48; Grandma's Garden. Giesela, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the suggestions. Happy planting!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:43 PM

164 posts, read 380,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
There was a place over by Kalamazoo that grew all the latest and older varieties of vegetable and herbs.
Just wanted to say hello to another former Kalamazooian!

Whaddya say? Time for an Oberon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton