Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 AM

909 posts, read 1,408,446 times

Advertisements

For overrated, I think that Beavercreek has to be somewhere near the top. The district relied on having teacher continuity from ~1970-~2005, and most of the good reputation of the district is based on teachers who are no longer there. The positive is that they know that there are factors out of their control that will keep them off of trying to be one of the top 250 school districts in the country, so they don't shun the disabled kids like the Centerville, Oakwood, Springboro, and Bellbrook school districts do to try to make their statistics look better.

For underrated, I would give this to the Kettering school district. Since they don't have as much of a historical positive reputation as the non-DPS districts that it borders, they seem to be trying to hire better teachers now to build that reputation. They also seem to care about their students more than some of those other districts as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,054,959 times
Ouch, Beavercreek is OK. When I was there (5+years ago), the best programs to be in were the honors/AP programs. Otherwise, it was a typical, large high school, probably on par with Kettering, maybe as far down as Mad River (which isn't bad, but has probably seen better days). The huge population growth does not help. Kettering and Oakwood don't deal with that anymore.

FYI, I did have many teachers retire a year or two after having them. Still, the school does well on test scores and that is a key indicator of performance (though not the sole one).

Of course, with the levy failures and threats to cut many of those AP programs, it could easily slide. One plus for the district was they recently received a silver medal from Newsweek's high school ratings system which I believe is a first. Only Oakwood and Mason received gold while many other local districts ranked in silver. Still, I find those things tough to buy.

Personally, I think the best school district is in the parenting (not home school). A child can do well in 9/10 districts with good parenting. IMO, it is the parents who should be building the kids, not the schools.

Overrated: I find Springboro to be a little overrated. It's financials are in flux (much like Beavercreek and Little Miami) and Kelly Kohls is a joke, as is much of the administration and school board. For a school board, they make the news too much for things other than levies.

Underrated: Miamisburg, Kettering, and perhaps Germantown.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 AM

164 posts, read 379,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Personally, I think the best school district is in the parenting (not home school). A child can do well in 9/10 districts with good parenting. IMO, it is the parents who should be building the kids, not the schools.
Amen!

Quote:
Underrated: Miamisburg, Kettering, and perhaps Germantown.
I agree.

Miamisburg has done a great job updating/renovating old buildings, building some new ones, and managing their budget in spite of all the financial issues we've faced over the past few years.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM

93 posts, read 225,007 times

Springboro Schools have been fantastic. Small towns have their eccentricities and the squabbling regarding the school board has certainly been one of Springboro's but it hasn't stopped my kids from getting a stellar education.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post

Springboro Schools have been fantastic. Small towns have their eccentricities and the squabbling regarding the school board has certainly been one of Springboro's but it hasn't stopped my kids from getting a stellar education.
I guess I should not speak too quickly. We had a resident here who ran for board (and IMHO, thankfully lost) that constantly writes into the DDN on her opinions about schools and education. Probably would have made a nice Ms. Kohl's, especially since she called a current board member she was running against some not-so-nice words in front of a room full of high school students.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdatwmu View Post
Miamisburg has done a great job updating/renovating old buildings, building some new ones, and managing their budget in spite of all the financial issues we've faced over the past few years.
Some of the smaller area districts are also rather surprising when it comes to being underrated. Yellow Springs and Cedarville schools come to my mind, but there are a number of others, especially in the northern portion of the Miami Valley.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM

93 posts, read 225,007 times
Quote:
Some of the smaller area districts are also rather surprising when it comes to being underrated. Yellow Springs and Cedarville schools come to my mind, but there are a number of others, especially in the northern portion of the Miami Valley.
I think districts all through the valley are underrated. As a military family, our kids have been in some less than desirable schools.

Some of the school districts may not get top marks in standardized testing and ratings, but teachers in this region care about students and teaching them. Sure, school boards and levies and administration weirdness makes the news, but in the classroom these people care about their kids learning.

Student apathy and parents making things difficult for teachers happens everywhere, but the majority of teachers being GOOD teachers makes all the difference in this area, whether it be the Dayton Public Schools or the Oakwood district.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 16,574 times
I was surprised by the comment that some schools "shun" disabled kids. I can't speak for the other districts mentioned, but I can tell you, without a doubt, that Bellbrook absolutely does not do this. I've observed disabled children (and second language learners) welcomed into the system with open arms. And I only mention second language learners because I've been told they are also sometimes "shunned" in other school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton