Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 47,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The one exception to this is health care, specifically Premier Health Partners (though Kettering is good too).
I would second this. I'm biased and work in medicine here, but I also know good healthcare when I see it. Dayton has excellent facilities and providers for the size of its population. US News (whatever its faults) ranks MVH even higher that U Cincinnati Hospital. We can argue about whether all the public money spent in healthcare is a good investment or even a good job generator, but it is also true that the kind of intelligent and creative people you guys are looking for to move and work here don't live in places with second rate healthcare.

A lot of the fundamental economic problems in Dayton are shared by all other rustbelt cities--it's not all due to our specific "hillrat" culture!--and some cities have done a much better job of adapting to modern reality. Cleveland is my hometown. The rot there has been going on for decades, and it is striking to compare Cleveland's anemic progress to, say, Pittsburgh's. It may be that the self-defeating mindset has to die off before we turn it around. I'm less interested in the behavior and beliefs of the middle-aged cranks here than the transmission of those attitudes to future generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 AM

96 posts, read 190,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The one exception to this is health care, specifically Premier Health Partners (though Kettering is good too).
You could say healthcare is a bright spot. But that might also be a sign that the only people left with money in Dayton are people from "the gerontology set" for whom medical care is generally paid for.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM

14,636 posts, read 14,505,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccasionalCommentary2020 View Post
You could say healthcare is a bright spot. But that might also be a sign that the only people left with money in Dayton are people from "the gerontology set" for whom medical care is generally paid for.
True, and like Chris said, health care is generally not self-sustaining, but it is a bright spot nonetheless (like in Cleveland).

Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM

2,307 posts, read 3,819,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post

when i saw this thread title i figured id do some investigating

according to the latest us census data from their website here's the percent of adults beyond age 25 in these respective cities who have a bachelors degree or higher

Akron - 20.0%
Toledo - 17.3%
Dayton - 15.0%
Youngstown - 10.9%
Flint, MI - 11.5% (just to make dayton folks feel better and youngstown folks to feel worse haha)

Just for sake of argument here is Washington's percent - 50.5%!!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post

As it's the nation's capital, one should hope so and pray for better days.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,178,260 times
Quote:
Akron - 20.0%
Toledo - 17.3%
Dayton - 15.0%
Youngstown - 10.9%
Flint, MI - 11.5% (just to make dayton folks feel better and youngstown folks to feel worse haha)

Glad to see Dayton is in the distinguished company of Flint, and Youngstown!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Quote:
when i saw this thread title i figured id do some investigating

according to the latest us census data from their website here's the percent of adults beyond age 25 in these respective cities who have a bachelors degree or higher

Akron - 20.0%
Toledo - 17.3%
Dayton - 15.0%
Youngstown - 10.9%

Is this in the city proper or the metro?

If it's city proper than I am not surprised. Most with bachelor's degrees live in the suburbs.

Also considering that Dayton itself only makes up about 15% of the Metro's total population, I would assume the metro average for Dayton would be a lot higher, as should be the case for the other cities listed above too.

Washington DC, on the other hand, has a high concentration of government workers who live in more desirable city neighborhoods. All that is needed for many government jobs is a bachelor's degree (what degree you hold does not matter). So both Dayton with WPAFB and DC with all of the Gov't work have different classes of individuals with Bachelor's degrees as well.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,289,993 times
Somebody posts the stats for how many in Dayton that have a GED.

(I await the sad numbers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton