Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,183,898 times

Advertisements

Jeez, we were close neighbors. Too bad we never met, you seem like a good person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Snarky comment redacted.

Last edited by TomJones123; 06-01-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,689,724 times
Riverdale is a slice next to Dayton View in near NW Dayton. Google it, you can see the neighborhood outlines. At one time (pre-WWII) it was a classy area.

Riverside was formerly Mad River Township before it was incorporated and was always the close-in, industrial/residential cousin of WPAFB - middle class to slightly scuzzy.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,736,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Riverdale is a slice next to Dayton View in near NW Dayton. Google it, you can see the neighborhood outlines. At one time (pre-WWII) it was a classy area.
The houses aren't that different from other parts of town. What's not there is more the deciding factor, namely big factories and "institutions." "Walk aways" from Dayton State wouldn't have found a walk too convenient. Also, reportedly it was a more solvent part of town, possibly a Jewish influence. And, the Jews have left the city.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:07 PM

I didn't realize there was a little neighborhood over on the west side called Riverdale. I thought it went from McPherson Town right into Five Oaks once you crossed the interstate, and then into Santa Clara. I'll say one thing about Riverdale. It's ghetto now. Parts of Five Oaks and Grafton Hill are still nicer, and liveable. I love the bigger houses in Five Oaks, you can really tell that neighborhood was really nice not too long ago.

Santa Clara is around 40% vacant last I heard. It's one of the worst hoods in Dayton.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I didn't realize there was a little neighborhood over on the west side called Riverdale. I thought it went from McPherson Town right into Five Oaks once you crossed the interstate, and then into Santa Clara. I'll say one thing about Riverdale. It's ghetto now. Parts of Five Oaks and Grafton Hill are still nicer, and liveable. I love the bigger houses in Five Oaks, you can really tell that neighborhood was really nice not too long ago.

Santa Clara is around 40% vacant last I heard. It's one of the worst hoods in Dayton.
Riverdale is the length of North Main Street -- there's two sides to North Main Street going about four miles mostly due north (not west) and from the river (Stillwater) to a sort of jagged line between Main and Salem.

It used to be just Riverdale, maybe 20,000 people. Then it was kind of separated into Lower Riverdale (McPherson Town), Middle Riverdale and Upper Riverdale. More recently, since the additional neighborhoods have been formed, other names such as Santa Clara have been added to the mix, but last I looked there was still Middle Riverdale. That's not a particularly wealthy area. Many of the homes were in the flood.

FROC -- the north central priority board -- stands for Fair-River-Oaks Council -- Fairview, Riverdale and Five Oaks.

And, to an extent there is a postal zone reference. The post office for 45405 used to be at Main and Ridge, but it was "inconvient" for the big trucks, so service was moved Forest Park (45415). Some neighborhood (Five Oaks is a prime example) straddle both the western side of Riverdale and the eastern side of Dayton View (45406).

Old 06-02-2012, 04:11 PM

^^ Thanks!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
^^ Thanks!
You're welcome. Feel free to add reputation. Mine's legitimate.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,928,757 times
Quote:
^^ I lived in Dayton proper and agree totally. I found many of the locals standoffish, cliquish, and down right uneducated. Not to say that there aren't a lot of good folks around. But they never seemed to take kindly to transplants, yet they are bleeding population.
After spending this past Friday and Saturday with my OWN family and their social surroundings in Kansas City, KS (not much different from what's being discussed here), I wonder why I even took issue with this comment. You were right from the beginning. I was trying to be too nice and was being too idealistic. It's striking how uneducated and unsophisticated and really just not very smart some folks are and my tolerance was running short toward the end of my short visit. I came home and told one of my roommates I don't know how I turned out so different from those people. Everything negative that's been mentioned in this thread is pretty much the truth.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,689,724 times
To add to the commentary about the mass social retardation and barbarianism of Daytonians:

When I was a kid growing up in Dayton - whenever one of my family would travel to some other city or whenever we'd take a vacation trip, the most glowing thing that any of us could possibly say about some other area was this: "people will even talk to you there." Usually uttered in some astonishment.

I grew up fairly withdrawn and I thought that was the norm. Then when I moved out of the area I found out what a normal (not Daytonian-stupid) US person was like.

In the rest of the US if you are courteous you can engage a complete stranger to ask them directions, etc. In Dayton it was fairly normal to get a sneering or sarcastic reply or to be ignored if you'd make a similar outreach.

I've lived all over the country. Daytonians are more jaded and sarcastic than people I knew where I lived and worked for awhile in New Jersey (supposedly the pinnacle of sarcasm and jaded manners).

Last edited by Ohioan58; 06-04-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton