Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 01:46 PM

26 posts, read 106,999 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the name of the neighborhood(s) east of Wayne, South of 35 and west of Highland Park? What is this area like?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 03:08 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
I've driven along Xenia Ave. a lot recently due to the US35 construction. Personally, there seem to be pockets of decent homes and then a pocket (block or two) of run down stuff. Police have been there patroling and were handling something one time I drove through. Murders are still pretty rare on this side of Dayton, but it wouldn't surprise me to see local violent crime rates there as high.

Walnut Hills (the area you described) doesn't benefit from being a historic district so prices will still be low. As of now, plans for a new Kroger at Wayne and Wyoming (due to demolish a few blocks) seem to be at a stand still over buyouts from residents. They claim that if they bought out now, they'd take a fair value loss since they haven't made any major home improvments due to an earlier failed buyout. There is also strife over an abandoned, burnt out historic building on the corner. Personally, I say tear it down and build the new center in the original buildings style of spanish colonial.

The other side of Highland Park, roughly where Xenia runs into Linden and on east, seems to be in better shape. It's not perfect, but fits better to your description, is safer, still cheap, and full of working class families. This area is east of Steve Whalen, south of Linden/35, north of Wayne and west of Woodman. Hope you find the right home and good luck with the move. It's good to hear of positive work in Dayton.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:45 PM

25 posts, read 77,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I've driven along Xenia Ave. a lot recently due to the US35 construction. Personally, there seem to be pockets of decent homes and then a pocket (block or two) of run down stuff. Police have been there patroling and were handling something one time I drove through. Murders are still pretty rare on this side of Dayton, but it wouldn't surprise me to see local violent crime rates there as high.

Walnut Hills (the area you described) doesn't benefit from being a historic district so prices will still be low. As of now, plans for a new Kroger at Wayne and Wyoming (due to demolish a few blocks) seem to be at a stand still over buyouts from residents. They claim that if they bought out now, they'd take a fair value loss since they haven't made any major home improvments due to an earlier failed buyout. There is also strife over an abandoned, burnt out historic building on the corner. Personally, I say tear it down and build the new center in the original buildings style of spanish colonial.

The other side of Highland Park, roughly where Xenia runs into Linden and on east, seems to be in better shape. It's not perfect, but fits better to your description, is safer, still cheap, and full of working class families. This area is east of Steve Whalen, south of Linden/35, north of Wayne and west of Woodman. Hope you find the right home and good luck with the move. It's good to hear of positive work in Dayton.
My husband and I are looking at homes in the linden heights area (the area around highland park) and those blocks look very nice and well-upkept. Crime in that area is not bad (petty theft, burglary, etc), not really violent crime. Here is a website for their community council: Linden Heights Community Council

Good luck on your search!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gam3rchic View Post
My husband and I are looking at homes in the linden heights area (the area around highland park) and those blocks look very nice and well-upkept. Crime in that area is not bad (petty theft, burglary, etc), not really violent crime. Here is a website for their community council: Linden Heights Community Council

Good luck on your search!

That's the feeling I got when driving around that area. The sad part is that there are plenty of people (usually the ones in powerful seats like local papers) that tell everyone how bad it is in all of Dayton. It's not true. While there are parts of Dayton I would avoid, this is certainly not one of them.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 PM

26 posts, read 106,999 times
Thanks for the advice and links! I am excited to see good volunteer opportunities, community building, etc. going on. It also looks like there are some good gardens nearby. I will definitely include this area in my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: