Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 9,773 times

Advertisements

When I was moving to the Dayton area about 2 years ago, my wife came here to ask about walkable areas and quaint downtowns. No one mentioned Bellbrook and so I've come back to talk a little bit about it in an effort to have helpful information out there. I'll concentrate only on the walkable area near downtown for those who are looking for something like it.

Bellbrook has a small, quaint downtown area with a full service grocery store, a library, a Subway, an upscale restaurant, an ice cream stand, and numerous small businesses. It also has a very pretty park: Bellbrock Park, which hosts (among other things) day camps, summer music evenings, a tree lighting ceremony in Christmas, etc. There is another park with very cool equipment near the family resource center: Eagleland. The Family resource center hosts everything from yoga classes to family movie nights.

There are 4 very pretty neighborhoods within walking distance to this small downtown area and I'll list some streets to make them easier to find on a map: Greenmeadow Ranch (North Sheffield St, Sudbury Court) and Timber Springs (Hillrise Circle, Ivy Crest Drive) are both off of 725; and there are two off of Main street: Magnetic Springs 1993 (Pavilion Lane) and Ridgewood (Ridgeway Road, Big Tree Road) These last two neighborhoods are also within walking distance to Bellcreek Intermediate grades 3 to 5), and Bellbrook High School (0.5 to 0.7 miles).

Thanks for the opportunity to add more info to the forum.

Last edited by anywhere_usa; 06-20-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
Agreed with the plusses.

Downtown Bellbrook probably gets neglected because it's not "built" at a sufficient scale to accommodate many weekend tourists, and it hasn't been publicized in the same way that, say, Yellow Springs has been. And it's not really on the road to anywhere, being about 5 mi from the closest freeway exit. All of these elements contribute to its charm, and it's really unusual for a town like Bellbrook to be so untouched so close to heavy suburban development.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,180,230 times
Last time I was in Belbrook I was at Green Velvet Sod Farms. Basically, it's a nicely preserved Ohio small town, which is somewhat unique considering it hasn't been swallowed up by Dayton's suburban sprawl. Pretty cool place.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:11 PM

164 posts, read 379,500 times
Yup, I used to drive through Bellbrook regularly (and still do on occasion) on my way down to Waynesville. It really is a nice little downtown. The ice cream stand is a great hidden gem in the summer and Amelia's has some great food, too!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
Have you tried the Blueberry Cafe? It is in one of those little buildings behind a church east of the Dot's Supermarket. They are not very big, so the Sunday crowds produce a long wait. We went and were quoted 2 hours Ended up coming back at opening on another day. Still, it is worth it as the food, especially the muffins, are delicious.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:26 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,447,400 times
Downtown Bellbrook is also neatly framed by some steep hills and woods, contributing even more to its charm.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,773 times
Thanks everyone, for chiming in. I think you all describe it perfectly. No, it's definitely not a tourist destination like Yellow Springs, but it is charming and very liveable. And yes, the Blueberry Muffin has GREAT muffins, and teachers from Bell Creek Intermediate (3-5) walk the kids to the ice cream stand (The Dairy Shed) towards the end of the school year as a reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton