Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,687,562 times

Advertisements

Franklin (Ohio) and the junction of I-75 with SR 123 is the closest "dedicated" truck stop area in the region. Trucks do OK in that area because the closest highways aren't major choke points, but if you're passing through, it's apparent that you have to move over to the left to stay out of the way of the truck traffic entering from SR 123. The volume of trucks entering and leaving the highway do mess up the traffic flow.

The Love's stop in Dayton so close to US 35 (which is a major choke point) will make traveling through Dayton quite a bit more treacherous. Lanes shift, there's an exit for 35, etc.

Overall it's a really stupid idea. Truck stops need to be located well away from major interstate intersections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,122,378 times
And it's open.... Hoping for no drug / prostitution problems or traffic tie-ups at Edwin C Moses / I-75.

Large truck stop opens near UD Arena | www.daytondailynews.com

Old 12-07-2013, 09:30 AM

235 posts, read 432,474 times
We stopped in there Friday. When everyone else had gas for $3.29, they were at $2.96. It's going to be nice to have them. If you are looking for Dayton stuff to send to out of town family, Love's is the place to get it. As for hookers and drugs being drawn to the truck stop, you only have to go to East Dayton for the hookers and all over the city to find drugs. Just because it's a truck stop, it's not going to attract crime. OTR truckers are very good about watching out for others.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,687,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lived here forever View Post
We stopped in there Friday. When everyone else had gas for $3.29, they were at $2.96. It's going to be nice to have them. If you are looking for Dayton stuff to send to out of town family, Love's is the place to get it. As for hookers and drugs being drawn to the truck stop, you only have to go to East Dayton for the hookers and all over the city to find drugs. Just because it's a truck stop, it's not going to attract crime. OTR truckers are very good about watching out for others.
This is entirely true. Dayton isn't pristine in any way. The detriment of crime brought in by a truck stop will be comparatively low. And that area isn't very residential. It's the middle of nowhere and industrial.

I still believe the location will mess up traffic flow on I-75 even more, in what is already a treacherous area with multiple close by highway exits and entrances.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Just to clarify my last statement, here is a DDN article from 2008 about drug / prostitution activity in the area across the street (the former Econo Lodge property, the McDonald's, Wendy's, and BP gas station).

Awareness in the area probably cleaned it up.

Dayton police eye drug hot spot ; More than 40 arrests have been made this year in 2100 block of Edwin C. Moses Boulevard. - Dayton Daily News (Dayton, OH) | HighBeam Research

And agreed it will mess up the flow of traffic. A lot. If they wanted a truck stop in Dayton off I-75 it should really be at Stanley Ave.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM

It's unfortunate this happened:

Trucker shot and killed by Love's travel center security | www.daytondailynews.com

... but I can tell you I am not surprised. This truck stop is not a good idea.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,825,975 times
Ah, you beat me to it - yeah, that didn't take long.

Wrong area, wrong business, wrong location. I don't know what made the city of Dayton thought all those trucks trying to get back on I-75 north less than a mile away from the US-35 interchange would be a good idea, especially without a fourth dedicated "exit only" lane for 35.

It has the effect of negating the advantage of streamlining I-75 through downtown - oh wait, the project that is taking ODOT a dozen years to complete, and still won't be done through 2018 (their current projection).

In other news, Hauer Music is leaving downtown for Washington Township, as Dayton Metro Library just bought the building and a few others in the area. The libraries just got finished convincing the voters to pass a tax levy and decided now was a good time to hand out bonuses to its unionized employees. Mm-hmm.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 PM

2,586 posts, read 1,326,018 times
I don't have an issue with the library employees being unionized. They should enjoy the same
rights to unionize as private sector workers. They shouldn't be penalized in that
regard because they work for the taxpayers. Historically unions played a critical role in creating
the middle class, and they continue to have a place today, although they, like any organization
can go overboard. I am not familiar enough with the operations of the library
to have an informed opinion as to whether tha happens to be the case there.

I also don't know enough about the terms of this deal as yet to form a final opinion on whether
or not it is a good deal for the taxpayers, or whether or not it was the proper step, but I do think that there are pros as well as cons as far as
it's impact on the downtown is concerned.

On the con side of the ledger, obviously downtown is losing another major retailer. This is a trend
that seemingly has been ongoing since at least the late sixties early seventies (when, for instance, a whole
block of retail was demolished to make way for the Dayton Transportation Center, the site recently
vacated by Greyhound), Elder-Johnston relocated and downsized, Salem Mall was constructed, etc).

Downtown Dayton will obviously never be the retail hub of the region in our lifetime, and retail will
continue to diminish until the downtown population is substantially increased. This, in turn, requires
the prevention and eradication of blight, and a mix of new construction, which seems to be picking up
up steam (with recently completed or underway improvements including Litehouse and the new residential developments adjacent to it, Sixth Street Lofts, the Patterson Blvd
streetscape project, the new Goodwill/Easter Seals project, the Sinclair Student Housing Project, and the I-75 downtown modernization projecwith projectts
soon to get underway (hopefully!) including the Water Street development, the $55 million CareSource
building, the new library, Warren Street streetscape project and South Main widening, these being gateways
to the south.

So as far as new construction goes, it could be better, but there is actually quite a bit of momentum going on.

But, as I alluded to, I think that historical preservation is also very key to creating a residential environment
downtown that is differentiated from the suburbs, and this is where I hope this deal benefits the downtown.
Hauer Music apparently was not utilizing the entire building. I am not familiar with the state of
repair of this building, but that fact plus the fact that the present occupant was perhaps seeking and certainly
open to relocating from the building seemingly indicates to me that there was a real danger that is building woud
deteriorate and join the already excessive number of vacant and blighted downtown buildings,
or the legion of buildings that have actually been lost. If I recall correctly the library will utilize the entire building and
is planning to embark on a full renovation, and I anticipate that they will
give the building an extensive external aesthetic makeover as well. That would be huge for that
neighborhood. Consider it in the context of everything else that is or will be taking place in it's immediate vicinity. The Hauer building has the potential to be a very cool historical building centered in one of downtown,
and Dayton's, growth hotspots (the Patterson Blvd downtown corridor). While it will not be a part of
this country's trend of creating new loft housing in older industrial buildings, it can certainly
contribute to that aesthetic thereby helping support such developments nearby,
both existing and proposed (One such project, apparently on hold until lease rates increase, is proposed
for the old Delco building a block up Patterson adjacent to Fifth Third Field.
The massive Mendelson's building may be included as well)

And in the midst of all of the new construction in that area it could serve as a nice
symbol of that neighborhoods history as an industrial area that emerged along the old Miami and Erie Canal,
although I am not sure as to what the actual historical relationship is between the building and the canal. Either
way, it is a remnant of the industrial area that developed along the canal, and which was the economic
backbone of Dayton and the entire valley.

Also, this gives the library control of much of it's surroundings at a time at which
it is making a major capital investment in the neighborhood. In this respect this is similar
to many recent moves made by other major institutions in Dayton proper, such as the University of Dayton
and Miami Valley Hospital. Along that line, the removal of the bar at Third and Patterson, which the library also purchased probably will make that
area more family friendly.

Swhil there definitely are drawbacks to losing another downtown retailer, I think ultimately
this while play out to Dayton's benefit. As to whether or not it was the best move for the library,
I am not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion. Only time will tell.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 12-11-2013 at 11:03 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 PM

2,586 posts, read 1,326,018 times
And back to the topic of the thread, sorry I got so sidetracked. I will note that their was a study
recently submitted to the Montgomery County Commissioners, which addressed steps
that the region needed to undertake to maximize it's competitiveness in attracting industry, specifically,
if I recall correctly, of the manufaturing and distribution center variety. One of the areas
of needed improvement cited by this study was the near total lack of truck plazas in the valley. This was
listed as an area of concern due to the difficulty that truckers often experience in locating
legal places to park near our plants. The fact that there seem not be any such plazas in
our area north of Franklin and west of London astonished me, given our industrial heritage,
but one poster alluded to the dfficulties encountered in siting such facilities, especially in developed areas,
where NIMBY sentiments can run high. Am I overlooking any such plazas in the region? Anyway,
this plaza will help the area check that particular item off of it's to do list, along with the Love's plaza being developed
in Springfield and a similar project by another firm in the Vandalia area. It is nice have such a facility
near the industrial areas of Moraine and north Dayton, even if the siting is far from perfect. Hopefully
it won't develop into a safety issue on 75.

There has been a major push recently to make our region more of a logistics hub capitalizing on
our geographical location and the confluence of major highways in the region, punctuated by
such recent successes as Caterpillar, Payless, and Prologic (a thousand employee project under
construction in Union for an unnanounced tenant beleived to be P&G), and 31 Gifts (a several hundred employee
operation in Springfield). There is also an 800 employee manufacturing operation on the drawing
board for the old GM plant nearby in Moraine. What making, they haven't said, but the article did state that
it would manufacture
millions of units of whatever it is, which indicates, obviously, that it will generate a large amount of truck traffic
and probably involves a significant supply chain, some of which may also locate here (we can hope!) generating
additional truck traffic. So we do have proven growth potential in these areas...manufacturing isn't dead even
though it will never offer the employment levels and high pay for low skills of years past. Hence, Love's
does help fill an important need in our area.

The jobs at Love's are also nice (I believe that they said that the project
would generate 50-60 jobs, including the restaurant), and particularly needed in that neighborhood.

I will probably hit the Hardee's at least once before or after a UD game this season!

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 12-11-2013 at 11:56 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 12:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,466,335 times
I'm guessing that none of you has ever driven a long haul truck and, as such, have a limited understanding of what it's like to find fuel/food/parking. Especially near pickups and deliveries. Yes, I, too have concerns about the placement of a truck stop so near the I-75/U.S. 35 junction. Especially since the construction has made travel through there even more dangerous. There is a growing need for truck facilities in our area. The Flying J up in Vandalia already gets backups on the diesel fuel islands and the Pilot down in Franklin has shown no decrease in business. (Pilot & Flying J are the same company today) Finding overnight truck parking is still a challenge in most areas of the U.S. and our area is no different. Unfortunately, we ALL must pay attention to traffic, especially in construction zones like the current one in downtown Dayton. As for crime, the Love's isn't in the best neighborhood. But truck stops do a pretty good job of keeping the riff raff off of their lots nowadays. Still, stuff happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton