Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,124,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
JPrice, these people sit here with rose colored glasses. They think Dayton(and now Springfield) are wonderful places.

Dayton Sux might be the only one that actually has a clue on how bad it is(besides me)
Then make a change or leave.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:35 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,389,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I left and I did not look back. I have mixed feelings about Dayton. At the time I felt it was too small and lacked diversity. But now I am living in a metro area that is considerably larger than that of Dayton, but it feels too suburban, plus, the prices are twice to three times as high as anything I ever experienced there.

But then I think about the true underbelly of the city. The basement of Dayton, and how omnipresent it appeared to be, regardless of whether I was looking for trouble or not. I think about all of the dumb stuff I did there and how fortunate I was and I don't miss it at all.

Dayton is a strange place, truly, a smaller vision of cities like Dayton, Toledo, or even Youngstown. There are worse cities than Dayton. I think the real issue with Dayton, at least when I was there, was the social and socioeconomic divide. There wasn't a lot to do in the city. And if you did do something, you were probably the only other Black person doing it. I tried to do things with my church, and then of course there was the street, that speed trap, every time I walked out of my house.

Now I am in a tourist area and I cannot afford to do anything. The beach gets old after a while. The museums get old after a while. Sometimes I feel like I had more fun, for free, back in Dayton doing something ignorant and self-destructive. What is the alternative? Move to DC, Maryland, NYC? Sometimes, you don't want to go back to what you know, but you can never truly find yourself where you're at either.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:48 PM

14,636 posts, read 14,505,817 times
Good post, goofy; I've found a place is what you make of it. There certainly more opportunities in certain places compared to others, and if you need something from an area and you can get it elsewhere, you should go. But if you're blaming all your problems on where you live (which is usually relative), you're going to be just as miserable wherever you go next.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:06 PM

430 posts, read 589,075 times
Quote:
Exactly. The people that complain the most about Dayton don't even bother to better their own neighborhoods.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:18 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,389,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Good post, goofy; I've found a place is what you make of it. There certainly more opportunities in certain places compared to others, and if you need something from an area and you can get it elsewhere, you should go. But if you're blaming all your problems on where you live (which is usually relative), you're going to be just as miserable wherever you go next.
Thanks. Home is where the heart is. But people tend to not forgive themselves when they can't be there and then lash out because they think they're not being true to one's self, when all they need to do is find themselves wherever they're at.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:11 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,289,993 times
Quote:
Oh, residents do try to make a change, but when you have public officials who don't do their jobs, it's kind of a moot point

Old 05-25-2014, 01:25 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Now I am in a tourist area and I cannot afford to do anything. The beach gets old after a while. The museums get old after a while. Sometimes I feel like I had more fun, for free, back in Dayton doing something ignorant and self-destructive. What is the alternative? Move to DC, Maryland, NYC? Sometimes, you don't want to go back to what you know, but you can never truly find yourself where you're at either.
goofy328--

Having just graduated and on the job search, I'm confronting something similar to this. I'm faced with the prospect of having no choice but to move to the east coast or other place - except I don't want to be there. I'd be the guy that puts in 2-3 years of experience, and transfers back as soon as I possibly could. Because for the reasons you cite - DC, Maryland, etc. would get old quickly. Once all the touristy stuff is done, then what?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:27 PM

133 posts, read 194,343 times
Quote:
Oh, residents do try to make a change, but when you have public officials who don't do their jobs, it's kind of a moot point
Examples please. Name me something you have done and were thwarted by city hall.

Also, which part of Dayton are you living in and trying to improve?

I must be missing all these grassroots campaigns that city hall is snuffing out that you and your friends are coming up with.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:36 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,289,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac1407 View Post
Examples please. Name me something you have done and were thwarted by city hall.

Also, which part of Dayton are you living in and trying to improve?

I must be missing all these grassroots campaigns that city hall is snuffing out that you and your friends are coming up with.
Did I say I lived in Dayton? Again, you're trying to out me, and I'm not sure why.

I can tell you the city I live in doesn't give two shatz about anybody making less than 100 grand a year.

I'll just wait until the local news invades their next city council meeting next month. It's about to be in the media anyhow. Can you wait a couple more weeks?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:44 PM

133 posts, read 194,343 times
Quote:
Did I say I lived in Dayton? Again, you're trying to out me, and I'm not sure why.

I can tell you the city I live in doesn't give two shatz about anybody making less than 100 grand a year.

I'll just wait until the local news invades their next city council meeting next month. It's about to be in the media anyhow. Can you wait a couple more weeks?
So you have no examples of the Dayton city government you are constantly bashing. And don't live in the city either. Got it.

You said residents were trying to do things and the city won't let them. I'm curious as to the good ideas that are being turned back.

We should discuss them and ways to get them implemented. Please let us know what they are so we can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton