U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,993,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi Crew Chief--

Just to humor the audience, I dug up some of the posts. Courtesy of esrati who saved some of them.

Just a few of the more coherent ones I was able to assemble, but, well.
Thanks, Hensleya1! Should I be afraid that I'm starting to have latent Republican tendencies...

Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,803,132 times
Salem Avenue is well on its way to being a ghetto...boardups and vacancies in the houses along the street are becoming pretty obvious. Commercial stuff died years ago, aside from the marginal basic things like Burlington Coat Factory and dollar stores...(this by the former Salem Mall site...retail on Salem in the city is well-nigh gone).

I agree about the RTA (I say this as a regular rider of RTA). That probably had something to do with it, but also white flight in the suburbia around the Salem Mall...not just the bus.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM

41 posts, read 52,131 times
Smile Changes of Dayton

Having gone to Hi SCHOOL (Roosevelt) in Dayton, I was disappointed, with all the changes in the neigborhoods of the city. Where has the City gone?? The Shopping Malls are gone, Salem Ave looks like a grave yard. The entire West Side has disappeared, Down Town has disappeared. The entire work base for many of the city has gone. Where do people find employment? For an ocasional visit, I left in 1957, family & friends no longer remain. If I were to return, where would I start????? I am retired, so that is a plus.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:44 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,860,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. PRICE View Post
Having gone to Hi SCHOOL (Roosevelt) in Dayton, I was disappointed, with all the changes in the neigborhoods of the city. Where has the City gone?? The Shopping Malls are gone, Salem Ave looks like a grave yard. The entire West Side has disappeared, Down Town has disappeared. The entire work base for many of the city has gone. Where do people find employment? For an ocasional visit, I left in 1957, family & friends no longer remain. If I were to return, where would I start????? I am retired, so that is a plus.
Dayton is fading fast. It truly is a dying city and there seems no end in sight.

Census: Dayton among worst in U.S. to lose downtown population | www.daytondailynews.com

One bright spot is downtown has added population.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
If I were to return, where would I start????? I am retired, so that is a plus.
If you are retired you could probably get by on your pension plus a "retirement job" in the service industry. For example (this is not in Dayton though), after my dad retired he worked at Sears for awhile.

I think there are quite a few retirees living in this area, still. Not everyone moved to Florida.

I think the consensus is the city is pretty much dead. But if you remember the city in the early to mid 1950s you'd be a great person to talk to (for me) since I do a lot of research on the old city, the era before everything went out of business and was torn down.

Quote:
The entire West Side has disappeared...
The West Side and Edgemont have been occasional research subjects for me.

Do you remember the old "Nickel"...the 5th Street area on the West Side?

How about what was at the intersection of Germantown, Broadway and Washington, or Washington & Cincinnati streets, just after you cross the river west on Washington?

Apparently these were little business districts....totally gone. Well..ok...there still is a
corner store/carryout at Germantown & Broadway.

I don't think folks new to Dayton recognize the scale of what happened, that entire neighborhoods have been lost. Someone who left Dayton in the 1940s or early/mid 1950s and then would return would not recognize the place, and, in fact, would stand a good chance of getting lost in certain neighborhoods they once where familiar with.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 AM

About that article Tom Jones posted....one of the reasons for the big population decline is that the housing projects were torn down. I think only one was rebuilt (Edgewood over in Dayton View) using that HOPE program...rebuilt to a lower density so still a net loss in population for that site.

Though I have to say, after wandering around lower Dayton View earlier this month, a lot of new houses have went up in those blocks south of Superior and west of Salem, south to Holt, not just in that project site. In that neighborhood they have actually started from scratch and rebuilt the place somewhat...with only a few old houses scattered around. I suspect that as they board up, they are also doing tear downs and reconstruction.

Dont want to put too happy a face on it, but there seems to be an ongoing reconstruction effort going on in these older areas. Probably not enoght to really make a dent on the population decline and abandonments, but there is something going on out there.

Also, one reason Dayton doesnt quite look like Detroit yet, is that it takes awhile for things to be torn down. And you can see a big population loss as apartments and multi-unit things go vacant...there still might be tenants but there are fewer, or an entire apt building can go and take a big dent in population..example is Dollly Manor on Salem..30 units or so in that building, so you can see how boarding it up could cause a big loss but from just one building. Multiply this across the city and the numbers add-up.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,144,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
But if you remember the city in the early to mid 1950s you'd be a great person to talk to (for me) since I do a lot of research on the old city, the era before everything went out of business and was torn down.

The West Side and Edgemont have been occasional research subjects for me.

Do you remember the old "Nickel"...the 5th Street area on the West Side?

How about what was at the intersection of Germantown, Broadway and Washington, or Washington & Cincinnati streets, just after you cross the river west on Washington?

Apparently these were little business districts....totally gone. Well..ok...there still is a
corner store/carryout at Germantown & Broadway.
There are people in the age bracket still around, just not likely in the place they were in 1950. If they didn't go to Roosevelt (which did have a big online layout of some sort) or Dunbar or the Catholic high schools, two other places where you might find former residents are Fairview and Fairmont alumni.

As for what was where, a lot can be found in the City Directories in the library. And, have you looked into what places or insitutions like the National Park Service have?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,860,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
About that article Tom Jones posted....one of the reasons for the big population decline is that the housing projects were torn down.
Two miles from Third and Ludlow is a large radius for a city Dayton's size. Certainly Park Side projects (and others) demolition contributed to this somewhat, but this also includes the many, many vacancies on the east end, Old North Dayton, and on into the west side.

There is a lot of new housing popping up in various east end neighborhoods too. Most, if not all is low income housing. There was a lot being constructed in Twin Towers not too long ago. And Twin Towers was one of the most vacant neighborhoods in Dayton. It was right up there with Santa Clara - second or third behind it last I knew.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,144,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Two miles from Third and Ludlow is a large radius for a city Dayton's size. Certainly Park Side projects (and others) demolition contributed to this somewhat, but this also includes the many, many vacancies on the east end, Old North Dayton, and on into the west side.

There is a lot of new housing popping up in various east end neighborhoods too. Most, if not all is low income housing. There was a lot being constructed in Twin Towers not too long ago. And Twin Towers was one of the most vacant neighborhoods in Dayton. It was right up there with Santa Clara - second or third behind it last I knew.
Part of what moved out of Dayton around Santa Clara and points west was the Jewish population. That, of itself, has some rather unique aspects.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 PM

41 posts, read 52,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
OK what in the world was the point of this thread just to talk negative about dayton. i live in ciny but i feel like dayton is just an extended part of cincy so i am always sticking up for both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or