Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM

41 posts, read 62,299 times

Advertisements

Cinny, isn't getting any rewards for a modle city in the first place.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Part of what moved out of Dayton around Santa Clara and points west was the Jewish population. That, of itself, has some rather unique aspects.
See, that is a history that I find interesting. I would guess they left years ago. But I have always loved Five Oaks, Grafton Hill, Dayton View, Santa Clara, and even Fairview somewhat. It's the old architecture and neighborhood layouts that attract me so much. Granted, several of these areas are in bad shape these days, and that would preclude me from living there. But I admire them anyway.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,138,529 times
The Jewish community relocated into that area from the Wayne Avenue corridor. The first synagogues where downtown on Jefferson or St Clair, and on Wayne Avenue near the former Cocos location, and later one located on Wyoming (this one is still standing). The Hebrew center (sort of a community center) was next door to the Steamboat House in St Annes Hill.

I'm not sure how Jewish that northwest part of Dayton was given the community here could not have been that large, porportionally speaking, to populate all those neighborhoods. I do know Salem Avenue had a Jewish deli/bakery as late as 1970/1971, and there was a Jewish deli in Northtown shopping center when I moved here in 1988.

But yeah, good question as to that exodus (pardon the unintended pun). I think the current vacancy situation is more due to the foreclosure crisis and people just leaving town. Vacancies & board-ups are all the way up Riverside to Shoup Mill Road now.

Quote:
It's the old architecture and neighborhood layouts that attract me so much.
It's a bit like the Cherokee Park area in Louisville or the Hyde Park/Gradin Road areas in Cincy, but much closer in to downtown (particularly Grafton Hill).

Old 12-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. PRICE View Post
Cinny, isn't getting any rewards for a modle city in the first place.
Cincinnati has made huge strides in the last decade in revitalizing it's urban core. So.....ya...Cincinnati really could set a strong example for Dayton to follow.

Specifically, I think Dayton could use an organization like this to take the lead:

3CDC | Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation

An example of their impact can be found here:

Report: Downtown Cincinnati population up 12% - Business Courier

Cincinnati is on the right track.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The Jewish community relocated into that area from the Wayne Avenue corridor.....
Thanks for the info and scope! It fills in a few gaps. I am sorry to hear that things have gotten worse up to the Shoup Mill area now. That really sucks. It wasn't that bad last I was in the area, around 2.5 years ago.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,707 times
Quote:
The Jewish community relocated into that area from the Wayne Avenue corridor. The first synagogues where downtown on Jefferson or St Clair, and on Wayne Avenue near the former Cocos location, and later one located on Wyoming (this one is still standing). The Hebrew center (sort of a community center) was next door to the Steamboat House in St Annes Hill.

I'm not sure how Jewish that northwest part of Dayton was given the community here could not have been that large, porportionally speaking, to populate all those neighborhoods. I do know Salem Avenue had a Jewish deli/bakery as late as 1970/1971, and there was a Jewish deli in Northtown shopping center when I moved here in 1988.

But yeah, good question as to that exodus (pardon the unintended pun). I think the current vacancy situation is more due to the foreclosure crisis and people just leaving town. Vacancies & board-ups are all the way up Riverside to Shoup Mill Road now.
...At least three synagogues, two on Salem avenue and one on (?) Euclid avenue. The one on Euclid, last I heard, became a mosque. I think a newer one was built very near downtown (just north of the river) by one of the congregations, but I don't know anything about it.

Yeah. The Jews have left the city. And, now, see, there's no reason for anyone to be preaching to me about how the town is "dying."

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 12-28-2012 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: Added note.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,138,529 times
^
The ones I knew about where the two on Salem and the old Beth Jacob, located on Kumler Avenue in Dayton View (south of Cornell). Beth Jacob was the congregation that was originally on Wyoming, and is now on North Main toward Englewood (or used to be unless they relocated).

For those interested, the history the three oldest congregations:

Temple Israel (the one now on Riverside Drive, and the oldest in Dayton, originally located downtown)

Beth Jacob (with pix of their buildings)

Beth Abraham (which had the synagogue on Wayne Avenue, but later relocated to that prominent location at Salem & Cornell)

...and thats enough history of the Jewish community for now.

@@@@@

On a general note, for those interested in a good discussion of the "end of urbanism" (or the decline and fall of the "old city") in a very general sense, I recommend this book:

City, Urbanism and It's End

...which is NOT about Dayton but about New Haven. New Haven had a lot going for it that Dayton did not, yet even with opitimal circumstances & heroic effforts at urban renewal, that city could not be saved.

Then, also not about Dayton but also relevant

The Origins of the Urban Crisis

...which is about the fall of Detroit.

Taken together, these pretty much explain it all when it comes to the fall of inner-city Dayton. They are probably as iimportant books for urban affairs or urban studies as was Jane Jacobs "The Death and Life of Great American Cities".

I like to study the history of Dayton as a hobby, and sort of "rebuild" the city as it might have been using the evidence available (rebuild it in my imagination since of course I wasn't there, thus not "nostalgia").

Yet, I realize the place is not coming back, and thats just the way history is; places evolve and change character in repsonse to changing cultural, social and economic conditions.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,707 times
Quote:
^
The ones I knew about where the two on Salem and the old Beth Jacob, located on Kumler Avenue in Dayton View (south of Cornell). Beth Jacob was the congregation that was originally on Wyoming, and is now on North Main toward Englewood (or used to be unless they relocated).
I think we can assume my (?) Euclid and your Kumler are one and the same, at least for the moment.

Quote:
On a general note, for those interested in a good discussion of the "end of urbanism" (or the decline and fall of the "old city") in a very general sense, I recommend this book:

City, Urbanism and It's End

Then, also not about Dayton but also relevant

The Origins of the Urban Crisis

...which is about the fall of Detroit.
I have a facebook friend who is a librarian in Detroit. Interestingly enough her facebook postings tend to be "promotionally positive," like, "Oh, look, someone volunteered to save this." I read them and think, all I would have to do is change "Detroit" to "Dayton" and maybe put in a local address.

Quote:
I like to study the history of Dayton as a hobby, and sort of "rebuild" the city as it might have been using the evidence available (rebuild it in my imagination since of course I wasn't there, thus not "nostalgia").

Yet, I realize the place is not coming back, and thats just the way history is; places evolve and change character in repsonse to changing cultural, social and economic conditions.
If you are posting on the online history site, I use a local ID on anything that's actually based in Dayton, like the newspaper, DHBO, etc. Carpathian Peasant is for everything else (internet global).

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM

41 posts, read 62,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
OK what in the world was the point of this thread just to talk negative about dayton. i live in ciny but i feel like dayton is just an extended part of cincy so i am always sticking up for both cities.
Ciny, is a larger city, but dos'nt look any better than Dayton. Let's face the fact every since large manufactory left the MID WEST most cities look run DOWN.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. PRICE View Post
Ciny, is a larger city, but dos'nt look any better than Dayton. Let's face the fact every since large manufactory left the MID WEST most cities look run DOWN.
When was the last time you were in Cincinnati?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton