Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,179,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
First and foremost I'm defending what should be (and someday just may be) a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Personally, you can keep the United Nations and all they represent.

Back on topic. I think part of Dayton's problems stem from lack of leadership, corporate or otherwise. Leadership that is willing to take the city in a new direction. A direction that figures out how to retain existing residents and businesses, stabilizes, and eventually starts growing again. I got so damned tired of hearing about Dayton's heritage and historical importance, meanwhile the city is in shambles and only getting worse as time goes on.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Personally, you can keep the United Nations and all they represent.

Back on topic. I think part of Dayton's problems stem from lack of leadership, corporate or otherwise. Leadership that is willing to take the city in a new direction. A direction that figures out how to retain existing residents and businesses, stabilizes, and eventually starts growing again. I got so damned tired of hearing about Dayton's heritage and historical importance, meanwhile the city is in shambles and only getting worse as time goes on.
Let me address the open-minded:

....UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

While that may have no effect on the house of Joe Blow or his friends, until there is some idea of what that may or may not entail, there's no way anyone can determine a definite direction apart from what are, more or less, incidentals.

A factory to employ a lot of people would be nice, but where are you going to put it?

If you are going to put your new factory, say, in Moraine City or Vandalia, the City of Dayton has no authority to decide anything there and NO suburb wants suggestions from Dayton.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Let me address the open-minded:
Ok...maybe they can help me figure out what you are saying. I don't get it.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Ok...maybe they can help me figure out what you are saying. I don't get it.
Read slow. I've been told I can't be skim read. Blame the professor who wanted every sentence a minimum of a line and a half long.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Read slow. I've been told I can't be skim read. Blame the professor who wanted every sentence a minimum of a line and a half long.
Not really that interested. But lucid communication is on the one conveying the thoughts, not the reader.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,741 times
Let's apply pkunzip or rot13 and then see what comes out.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Not really that interested. But lucid communication is on the one conveying the thoughts, not the reader.
Nope. If someone only speaks Japanese and makes a valid attempt at communication (uses sign language, etc.), it's also up to the listener to try to figure out what he/she is trying to say.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Nope. If someone only speaks Japanese and makes a valid attempt at communication (uses sign language, etc.), it's also up to the listener to try to figure out what he/she is trying to say.
But we are both using the same language.

In an effort to get away from the rambling nonsense, what exactly do you think UNESCO would do for Dayton?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,138,529 times
Quote:
Back on topic. I think part of Dayton's problems stem from lack of leadership, corporate or otherwise. Leadership that is willing to take the city in a new direction. A direction that figures out how to retain existing residents and businesses, stabilizes, and eventually starts growing again.
There's going to be a three-way battle for mayor, between Nan Whaley, Gary Leitzell, and AJ Wagner. Whaley was in the news a lot as an advocate for "right-sizing" the city via an aggressive demolition program, so you will see leadership from her to take the city in a certain direction. AJ just "wants to be mayor" (priority for him is "jobs", tho not sure how a mayor does this).

Yet all three are running for a figurehead position with little real power.

I think there is probably a lot of behind-the-scenes discussion that we don't see or hear about, but might be able to ascertain indirectly.

The business community has pretty much given up on the city, from what I can tell, aside from the various hospital expansions.

Regionally the focus seemed to be on keep the defense sector here and protecting it during the base closure rounds, and to build-up UD as research center and better-than-average university. The Dayton Development Coalition website and publicity pretty much illustrates what the economic development side is looking at.

Quote:
I got so damned tired of hearing about Dayton's heritage and historical importance, meanwhile the city is in shambles and only getting worse as time goes on.
I am a big history buff, but heritage/history here is sort of abstract, and the physical form of the old city isn't appreciated that much, or there would be more interest in saving it, or even in interpreting it.

For example, there is nothing like the Betts House, or what the Betts House Association does, in Dayton, which is to act as sort of a conservator and interpretor and even a bit of an advocate for the built environment and urban fabric of Cincinnati. Not even on the radar here in Dayton....probably because its not that important to or valued by people here,

....r the solution is a mass demolition program vs restoration/preservation (or that we have saved enough, via the historic districts).

Last edited by Dayton Sux; 01-22-2013 at 07:50 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,138,529 times
Quote:
...meanwhile the city is in shambles and only getting worse as time goes on.
..partly due to the people who live there being slobs and the people who own property not keeping their property up. We can discuss why this is, but its something that is beyond simple code enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton