Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,839,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
My wife and then 3 year old son used to shop [at the Wayne Avenue Kroger's] as well. Never a problem.

The one on Smithville is in a worse neighborhood. There is a lot of drug activity in the area and the Pharmacy has been robbed at gun point on multiple occasions. There have been shot fired there before.
Hi TomJones123--

That's interesting, because I reached the opposite conclusion based on what I've seen and heard - that I would go to Smithville, but not Wayne. It's probably changed since you lived in Dayton.

To hear friends at UD talk about the Kroger on Wayne, to quote a law school colleague, "the worst Kroger in the world."

And I can say that the Wal-Mart in Moraine is completely off-limits. If the bevy of police cruisers/rentacops outside don't give indicator to the shootings that have happened there lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123
I don't blame you for keeping your student loan as low as you can. My wife became friends with a younger neighbor who just finished many years of college to become a physical therapist. She has around $84,000 in student loan debt, and in fact lived off one of her loans for a while.
Price is what brought me to UD - a scholarship. I made it through college and two years of law school so far and only owe $8,500. I'm on track to borrow 20, 25 tops. I know people that owe ten times that. Thinking that I could buy a house with that amount of money. Or two houses in Dayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM

4,472 posts, read 6,209,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
It's probably changed since you lived in Dayton.
I left Dayton late 2010. It's still the same. The Kroger on Smithville draws in a lot of the east Dayton crowd. The only thing that's bad about the one on Wayne is the selection. The Walmart in Moraine is horrible. There are a lot of robberies in the parking lot.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 AM

8 posts, read 29,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Fed, med, ed...unless you're a nurse, engineer or professor, not much reason to move to the Dayton area.

I agree with Natural510, it's unfortunate but true. I'm a graphic designer and I'm not finding a whole lot of work. I feel lucky that I'm interning in my field at least and I graduated from college 2010.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM

13 posts, read 20,033 times
Can we just get a friggin grocery store and a Starbucks downtown?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemCityWatcher View Post
Can we just get a friggin grocery store and a Starbucks downtown?
There aren't enough people living downtown to support a grocery store. We don't even have one in Cincy yet.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,070,742 times
Quote:
There aren't enough people living downtown to support a grocery store. We don't even have one in Cincy yet.
Which surprises me, because I don't feel Columbus has all that much larger of a downtown residential population. I would not count German Village or Victorian Village though because each has its own Giant Eagle. Cincinnati has that sketchy one with no parking on Vine and then the really sketchy one further north on Vine and Taft. Hopefully in five to ten years, that will change. Press for a City Target too. Not sure if those have grocery/produce though. Went to the one in SF and was impressed but cannot remember if there was grocery.

Now if I could only remember the name of that grocery in Columbus!

I think it might be a specialty one, but that's better than nothing.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
the really sketchy one further north on Vine and Taft.
Thats the Kroger by UC, aka KroGhetto. It's not in a bad area though, and in fact, it's scheduled to completely renovated into a high end Kroger.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,156,821 times
^
I figure there are enough people living in the CUF area to support at least one decent supermarket.

I figure the OTR/Downtown market would be served by that Kroger on Vine, in the Gateway Quarter.

@@@

For Dayton there is that one smaller grocery on Third, btw the Arcade & Fedex. That would probably be the place that could be viable for downtown grocery shopping if they improved their selection. Hours are limited, though (yet they are open on Saturday during the day).

Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,070,742 times
Quote:
Thats the Kroger by UC, aka KroGhetto. It's not in a bad area though, and in fact, it's scheduled to completely renovated into a high end Kroger.
Yes! The CUF Kroger. Good to hear that they are improving it along side the other development along Taft/McMillan. Hopefully it will be as nice as the new Kroger south of OSU in Weinland Park.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi TomJones123--

That's interesting, because I reached the opposite conclusion based on what I've seen and heard - that I would go to Smithville, but not Wayne. It's probably changed since you lived in Dayton.

To hear friends at UD talk about the Kroger on Wayne, to quote a law school colleague, "the worst Kroger in the world."

And I can say that the Wal-Mart in Moraine is completely off-limits. If the bevy of police cruisers/rentacops outside don't give indicator to the shootings that have happened there lately.

Price is what brought me to UD - a scholarship. I made it through college and two years of law school so far and only owe $8,500. I'm on track to borrow 20, 25 tops. I know people that owe ten times that. Thinking that I could buy a house with that amount of money. Or two houses in Dayton.

They are both "first of the month" stores. I worked loss prevention for Kroger for nine years; the Smithville store thieves are more violent and the place is more likely to be robbed. I'm not saying Wayne doesn't have its share of trash and crack heads, but it certainly is not the worst store in the district. Anyway, I agree with Tom on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton