Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,435,002 times

Advertisements

I just worry about it, because pretty much everything that is being built/renovated is for residential use. That can only work for so long. Unless they think people are going to work in the suburbs and live in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I just worry about it, because pretty much everything that is being built/renovated is for residential use. That can only work for so long. Unless they think people are going to work in the suburbs and live in the city.
Don't exclude the possibility. The "Cold War" is over.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:21 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/bl...duct-line.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...f-federal.html

Old 11-02-2015, 03:24 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...or-worker.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/ne...s-to-24-7.html

Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
^Great news above, thanks! Now to an earlier point:

Quote:
I don't disagree, but to keep demand high, you need people working downtown. I don't think residential is something that will work long term downtown, unless there is a strong workforce. To have that we need new/renovated office space. There is very little room for new build, IMO, so the only true option is to renovate what is already there.
Good point. There definitely needs to be a stronger effort to get downtown office space updated to Class A, where there is demand, and fill that space in with new tenants.

People will keep pointing to that ~30% office vacancy rate, which is high, but there are a lot of ways to take that off the market. Whether it's done ethically by renovations and re-leasing, conversions, or even unethically by cooking the books and re-classifying, driving that # down IMO is the important before they start going for even more demolitions...

I'm especially worried about the possibility of unfillable ugly holes downtown, especially if places like the former Key Bank building (now the Paru Tower), etc. get demolished.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:26 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
Quote:
I'm thinking that will increasingly be the case.

Ideally, people would live close to where they work, but a lot of manufacturers, etc. aren't coming back downtown. You'll never see a 4-story tall warehouse or car plant built again (at least I can't imagine why any organization would ever do such a thing). And call centers work better, almost perfectly, in vacated retail space. For this area, aside from WPAFB these main areas is probably where the future of employment in the Dayton metro lies.

However, I'm hoping suburban work addresses won't keep people from living downtown, and overall I don't see much reason why it would. RTA does a decent job if they do want to go car-free, and if they need a car downtown is car-friendly (maybe too much so). And nowhere else in the region can match Downtown/OD's amenities, connectedness, or vibrancy.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:38 PM

All good points. I just think, with better leadership, there are solutions to be found. What those are? I don't know. I just know there is enough good going on downtown, that they should be able to find answers.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:42 PM

Fuyao and Sinclair announce 2 upcoming recruitment events | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,290,305 times
Would post it, but I'm behind the paywall(and most here aren't), 40 W. Fourth may get "national historic site" status. Uh, it's a nice building, but how is it qualifying for that?

Old 11-03-2015, 01:28 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,735,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Would post it, but I'm behind the paywall(and most here aren't), 40 W. Fourth may get "national historic site" status. Uh, it's a nice building, but how is it qualifying for that?
I've wondered that, too. The only thing I can think of is that there might have been something not used before or not common in it when it was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton