Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
wrightflyer--

Well, in the event that you do have children in the public school system at that time - then the return on your investment isn't so bad after all.

An annual property tax bill of say, $6,000 - which I think is a fair estimate of a house east of Far Hills - isn't too bad if you have a kid in their K-12 system at that time. That becomes even better if you have multiple children going through the system all at once.

If the property tax becomes unbearable, move after the kids grow up. There's no shortage of demand to live there (although that may be fueled by the lack of new construction in Oakwood). I certainly would have zero reason to live there unless I got something for my taxes, which is why I keep talking up Beavercreek, Bellbrook, and the townships on this forum, because they have no city taxes.

It's better than paying $2,000 a year in property taxes in, say, West Carrollton or Fairborn and having to send your kid to private school (and be out another $7,000 that way).
Good point. Also factor in the fact that the only private school in the area that can compare to Oakwood is the Miami Valley School. Good luck getting your kid into there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdatwmu View Post
I agree - putting another theatre there was a ridiculous idea. Too much capacity nearby already.
Yep. Fortunately though, I think the theater proposal at Austin Landing led to this:

Cinemark to renovate south Dayton theater | www.daytondailynews.com

Good thing they probably decided to do this before the other theater proposal was scrapped. I bet the Cinemark renovation is entirely based on competition with the other theater. However, the Dayton Mall area could use a nicer theater, so I'm glad this is happening.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
wrightflyer--

Well, in the event that you do have children in the public school system at that time - then the return on your investment isn't so bad after all.

An annual property tax bill of say, $6,000 - which I think is a fair estimate of a house east of Far Hills - isn't too bad if you have a kid in their K-12 system at that time. That becomes even better if you have multiple children going through the system all at once.

If the property tax becomes unbearable, move after the kids grow up. There's no shortage of demand to live there (although that may be fueled by the lack of new construction in Oakwood). I certainly would have zero reason to live there unless I got something for my taxes, which is why I keep talking up Beavercreek, Bellbrook, and the townships on this forum, because they have no city taxes.

It's better than paying $2,000 a year in property taxes in, say, West Carrollton or Fairborn and having to send your kid to private school (and be out another $7,000 that way).
Point taken. I still think $6,000/yr is low for east of Far Hills. My parents own a house in Beavercreek (~275K county appraisal) that pays about $5,000/yr in property taxes and I know Oakwood is higher, probably closer to 7K or even 8K.

City taxes were not even on my radar when I considered this article.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:58 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Point taken. I still think $6,000/yr is low for east of Far Hills. My parents own a house in Beavercreek (~275K county appraisal) that pays about $5,000/yr in property taxes and I know Oakwood is higher, probably closer to 7K or even 8K.

City taxes were not even on my radar when I considered this article.
wrightflyer--

AFAIK, anywhere in Montgomery County, regardless of school district, is forced to pony up a higher millage rate than anywhere in Greene County, with the possible exception of Bellbrook, which might compare to a lower-taxed area in the former. RTA, Sinclair College, Dayton Metro Library, and God-knows-what is being supported by county levies.

City taxes are weird in Ohio - it's taxed where you live -or- work.

Meaning that you can only truly avoid a city tax if you both live and work in a non-taxing jurisdiction (such as living in Beavercreek and working on base).

But that 2.5% Oakwood charges is extra painful because they're on a short list of cities that don't provide a full credit for the amount you're taxed in another jurisdiction - so if you lived in Oakwood and worked in Dayton, you'd pay 2.5% to Oakwood and a significant part to Dayton, too. That's getting expensive.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:09 PM

164 posts, read 381,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Very cool, that's the line I was trying to describe. A picture does a lot better job though, thanks for posting!
No prob. I'm a sucker for old roads / abandoned railbeds and such. I'd be ashamed to add up how much time I've wasted playing around with the Historical Imagery feature in Google Earth...

Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
You should have a field day with the development of Moraine. Multiple roadway changes plus an interurban rr that came and went.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Well... They're official:

Costco:
Costco coming to Centerville | www.daytondailynews.com

Whole Foods:
Whole Foods coming to Dayton area | www.daytondailynews.com

(No paywall)

Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Awesome! I'm actually pretty excited about the Costco, I like their stuff a lot and it will be nice to have one in the area.

Whole Foods.... I think DLM does the concept better. Could not care less whether they make it or not. As long as they don't hurt what's here, they are fine with me. Fortunately for everyone, healthier and more wholesome foods is a growing industry.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 AM

This sounds interesting:

Dayton Children?s Hospital plans $140 million expansion (Exclusive) - Dayton Business Journal

Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
New Retailer Opening at Austin Landing
Quote:
Dodd Camera, a photography equipment and image printing company based in Cleveland, is opening a new location at 10725 Innovation Drive in the same building as HomeGoods and TJ Maxx, said President Mark Leonard. The retailer is the fifth non-restaurant retail business to open at Austin Landing, and leaves only one more available space in its building as the mixed-use center continues to see strong leasing activity.
A thought to this - with the changing plan at Austin Landing away from having a skating rink/entertainment center towards more office, does this define the 741 corridor as primarily a center of employment rather than a mixed use area - anchored by the Dayton Mall in the north and Austin Landing in the south, with growing housing developments around Yankee Trace and Springboro?

This leaves an opportunity for downtown Dayton to become that entertainment center - alternatively the new development in West Carrollton could gain traction (although I think West Carrollton's venture is doomed to be a bust).

$90 Million Construction Project Begins in Union; 1,000 Jobs on Tap
Quote:
Construction has begun on one of Dayton’s largest recent projects, which has set a completion date of a little longer than a year.
The $90 million distribution center in Union is being developed by Prologis Logistics Services Inc. of San Francisco for end user Procter & Gamble, which will create up to 1,000 jobs. The facility has a completion date of Nov. 1, 2014.
The project, located in Global Logistics Airpark, will be one of the largest job draws for Montgomery County in recent memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton