Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
There isn't a crime in having foreign investors, despite whatever local backlash you might face from General Motors picking up and leaving town and having the facility being replaced by a Chinese glass manufacturer. I bet the city managers in Moraine aren't complaining, I bet the property owners who may see more demand are stoked (if they can get rid of that godawful smell emanating from the nearby sewage treatment plant), and anybody who lost a job in 2008 is probably pretty stoked, too, if they get a new job.
You'd have to be an idiot to COMPLAIN about this news. The Fuyao Investment is probably the best investment that has happened in the Dayton area since Caresource!

Quote:
It's not the locals' fault that Bill Clinton/George HW Bush opened the borders and allowed the giant sucking sound of manufacturing jobs being sent to Mexico to happen. So it's good that a Chinese investor has come in to fill the vacuum.
NAFTA should still benefit us in the end. It enabled US cars to be sold more easily in Canada.

And Mexico is a disaster. Truly a disaster of a country. From the drug cartels to dismal product quality, horrible employee work ethic, and overall ineptness, American companies that invested over there are learning their lesson and are coming back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 02:31 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,327,967 times
Default 127 Apartments Slated For Downtown Dayton

Article about 127 apartments slated to come downtown thanks
to a renovation of/addition to the historic David Building on W. Third St. I believe that this will be a truly wonderful addition to the downtown!

Renovations to begin on downtown building - Dayton Business Journal

Old 01-14-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
This is exciting:

‘Mid-Park’ project to start this spring | www.daytondailynews.com

I can't wait to see renderings for this. Basically it will be a three 3-story building with retail on the bottom floor and apartments on the upper floors, along with patio homes. Hoping for the best though, especially with its integration into the surrounding neighborhood vernacular and its site walkability.Y

I'm also hoping this will be another key piece in the puzzle towards a completely revitalized mid-section of Dayton (McPherson, Downtown, Wright-Dunbar, Webster Station, St. Anne's Hill, OD, South Park, Fairgrounds/MVH, UD, and Rubicon), and maybe the momentum will begin to drive prices up, making revitalization efforts elsewhere in places like Five Oaks, Dayton View, Huffman, and Santa Clara more likely to happen.

Here's some background on what is being proposed from 2009:
[scribd]23753577[/scribd]

And Esrati's commentary
MidPark? Part of someone’s plan.
Writing off the big picture. The MidPark silver bullet

I would love to see this project come to fruition! Right now that stretch of Warren
Street is a huge, very poorly lit dead zone situated between the most
vibrant and rapidly growing areas of Dayton proper...Oregon and the
east side of downtown and the MVH/UD area. The extremely poor lighting
characteristic of much of Warren St. heavily discourages foot traffic
along much of it, playing a huge role in creating a gap between the most walkable
eigbborhoods in the city, which happen to be situated immediately north and south of it.

The gap between these
neighborhoods needs to be closed. Much has aready been done in
this regard. The owners of Coco's and the adjacent apartment building
did a fantastic job with their renovations. Marvin's Gardens looks very
nice after a multimillion dollar restoration..it once was on the list of the
city's most endangered historical properties. The new Goodwill
regional headquarters (located on S. Main St. but with very significant
frontage on Warren) will greatly enhance Warren. There are some
cool lighting special affects under the Rt 35 overpass. I believe
that a streetcape project for Warren St. is slated to go to construction in
the next year or two as well. The neighborhood was also enhanced
greatly by the removal of the Clifton Manor housing project.

While a great deal has been done, the dead zone that I alluded
to, which us situated between Coco's and MVH, needs to be filled
before Warren Street can fulfill it's potential as the natural link
between the city proper's most rapidly growing areas and transform
them into one large vibrant and walkable area stretching from McPherson and Riverscape to Oakwood. This project
has the potential to be a big step in that direction.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 01-14-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM

^Wow, thanks for all of the info, robertbrianbush! That is awesome!

Both projects are really exciting. Agreed that MidPark is much needed for the area to link South Park/Brown St. to midtown Dayton, I'm just really glad it doesn't look like it will become a Kroger's (which was my biggest redevelopment fear at the site).

Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM

New chain steakhouse (out of NC) coming to Austin Landing...

Steakhouse coming to Austin Landing - Dayton Business Journal

If they have good food and don't cut into the independents' market share, I'll take it!
(but likely they have good food AND are cutting into the independents' market share, so my feelings are mixed.)

Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Default New Full-Service Eatery To Employ 85-100

New steakhouse coming to Austin Landing Steakhouse coming to Austin Landing - Dayton Business Journal

Old 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Default More Growth In The Oregon District

Of late the Oregon District seems to be booming.
Marketing firm moving to Oregon District - Dayton Business Journal

Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Surprised there has been no news coverage on this, but I walked into the Fairfield Commons EB Furniture Gallery today and it was practically empty! Talked with the store manager who was out on the floor and he told me they were combining the women's and men's stores into the original location.

Thus, there will now be an empty anchor at the Fairfield Mall. My guesses for space reuse? Either lure Dillard's north or tear it out and put a lifestyle addition on (a la Polaris). H&M may also use some (but not all) of the space.
More speculation, this time from the DBJ:

Three exciting things you need to know about The Mall at Fairfield Commons - Dayton Business Journal

Key Quotes from the article:

"Goldsberry said he is working on several new leases at the mall, including tenants who do not yet have a presence in Dayton."

"Remember how you wished that stores like Nordstrom, or Whole Foods would come to Dayton? Quit wishing and go tell the retailers you think Dayton needs to hurry up and get here."

(bad grammar)

wrightflyer, I'm thinking you are correct on the E-B news. The second comment, although poorly worded and somewhat lazy considering Whole Foods is already coming to the Miami Valley, seemed completely out of context with the rest of the article. So I assume the DBJ put it there because it wants Daytonians to try and help Fairfield Commons land a big tenant (probably not Nordstrom though - don't think the Cin-Day market is big enough for two stores).

Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM

Default Nice Article About New Business In St Clair Lofts Building Dowtown

Photos: Inside new Paul Mitchell Focus Salon in Dayton - Dayton Business Journal

Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Great minds think alike haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton