Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,995,912 times

Advertisements

^ Yup--in fact, Clifton's so bad that two APC's are now parked outside the Esquire Theater on Ludlow rather than just the one from a week ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 AM

164 posts, read 379,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Bus 60 is the shuttle that goes from the south hub to the 'burg. I used it for bike riding as it saves me a slog up the hill from the river (though that new Medlar bikeway is do-able by me if Im feeling good that day).
It really is a nice trail - and heck of a workout if you want to slog it uphill in a hurry.

I've been using it since it opened as a connector to the Great Miami. Before, I used to cross I-75 on Austin then take Crains Run down to Dixie / the river. Quite scenic, but super narrow. My aversion to being run over certainly appreciates the new trail!

As it stands, other than about 1/4 mile on Miamisburg-Springboro Pike, the entire ride is now on a dedicated trail.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 PM

4,243 posts, read 7,140,320 times
I wish they'd signalize that intersection @ Waldruh for bikes, since that new bike paththru Waldruh opens right on to it...I usually get on to Springboro from Villages of Miami (by Metlife, so ride the very wide shoulder down to the bike path @ Austin Landing...tho there is a dedicated bike path to Waldruh on the east side! (I guess cycling infrastructure is sort of development related).

When I go to Medlar from Austin Boulevard I just drive down M-Burg/Springboro pike vs follow that bike trail sign pointing down Byers. Found out that went nowhere! Out of the way...

Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,435,965 times
Val Beerbower discusses the Downtown Dayton Plan update survey

Val Beerbower discusses the Downtown Dayton Plan update survey - Dayton Business Journal

Old 06-20-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I wish they'd signalize that intersection @ Waldruh for bikes, since that new bike paththru Waldruh opens right on to it...I usually get on to Springboro from Villages of Miami (by Metlife, so ride the very wide shoulder down to the bike path @ Austin Landing...tho there is a dedicated bike path to Waldruh on the east side! (I guess cycling infrastructure is sort of development related).

When I go to Medlar from Austin Boulevard I just drive down M-Burg/Springboro pike vs follow that bike trail sign pointing down Byers. Found out that went nowhere! Out of the way...
The current light is only temporary until more of the Austin construction is complete. The bike path is actually (officially) closed where it crosses the road. So I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of more comprehensive crossing there when all's said and done.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdatwmu View Post
The current light is only temporary until more of the Austin construction is complete. The bike path is actually (officially) closed where it crosses the road. So I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of more comprehensive crossing there when all's said and done.
Well strike that - have been at Austin a few times this week and noticed they took down the fence blocking the bike path. So you can cross 741 into Austin from Waldruhe.

Still, it's temporary and - from what I've read - there are plans to put in a designated crossing there once the construction is finished and a permanent light is installed.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:56 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,127,726 times
I can't speak to the bike discussion above for Austin Landing, but this was big news I forgot to post:

New owner plans overhaul of evacuated Harrison Twp. apartments Barrington - Dayton Business Journal

This is a MASSIVE project. A complete overhaul of the 700-unit (all currently vacant) Barrington Springs complex at Needmore and Riverside Drive. (Apologies if it's actually Shoup Mill in that section).

I'm really hoping for the best on this one. That particular area could use the apartments, and I'd much rather see re-use of a decent complex than a new build out in a far-flung suburb. It's right next to Forest Park Shopping Center, which was recently demolished. If this goes well, it could be a catalyst for some new retail there to replace what left Salem Mall. The demographics there aren't horrible, and the area is underserved.

Something like what was done with Severance Town Center in Cleveland Heights (a couple miles from University Circle in Cleveland) I could see working well:
Severance Town Center

Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,057,145 times
While the Barrington Springs project is good news, I doubt Forest Park will become another Severance. Why? Because the density isn't the same on that side of town compared to Cleveland Heights. Also, Cleveland Heights still has money in it and on some sides borders even greater wealth (within a short drive too).

That part of town (Dayton/Harrison Twp.) has some pockets of middle-class wealth, but it is still rather run down (not E. Cleveland run down, but still pretty sad looking). But you do have a point in being under-served at a very micro-local level. However, like most good middle-class Daytonians, you can drive your car one exit north from Needmore and be in the middle of the Miller Lane corridor.

That won't help in bringing anything back other than perhaps a CVS or Walgreens and some fast food places. I guess even those would be good news though. But I wouldn't expect a Walmart Neighborhood Market or other big box retailers.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,290,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
While the Barrington Springs project is good news, I doubt Forest Park will become another Severance. Why? Because the density isn't the same on that side of town compared to Cleveland Heights. Also, Cleveland Heights still has money in it and on some sides borders even greater wealth (within a short drive too).

That part of town (Dayton/Harrison Twp.) has some pockets of middle-class wealth, but it is still rather run down (not E. Cleveland run down, but still pretty sad looking). But you do have a point in being under-served at a very micro-local level. However, like most good middle-class Daytonians, you can drive your car one exit north from Needmore and be in the middle of the Miller Lane corridor.

That won't help in bringing anything back other than perhaps a CVS or Walgreens and some fast food places. I guess even those would be good news though. But I wouldn't expect a Walmart Neighborhood Market or other big box retailers.
There are a CVS, Walgreens, and Mick Dees in that general area(a quick Google map shows this)

Old 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,127,726 times
An important development haha
Dayton to get lululemon store - Dayton Business Journal

But seriously though, props to Oakwood for getting a lululemon and props to lululemon for doing some good market research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton