Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,435,965 times

Advertisements

Exclusive: Financial firm expected to move to Austin Landing - Dayton Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 04:57 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,140,320 times
What’s happening at Austin is expansion and modernization, as companies move into more appropriate space, either more modern, better configured (either larger or smaller), etc. Motoman, for example,would have located elsewhere in the region since their West Carollton site wastoo small to expand on. Same withTerradata. They could have stayed put at the Exchange,located to Pentagon Blvd , Research Park, etc.

So Austin Blvd was a new play in the Class A suburban office market, andcompanies looking to make a move moved there rather than elsewhere. This south submarket is apparently pretty hot. But overall, the Dayton area (as of 2nd quarter 2014) has a 26.89% vacancy rate, vis 16.8% nationally, which is the highest office vacancy rate in the country.

Not sure what the industrial vacancy rate is but I think something similar applies. Austin Blvd interchange (west side) seems to be more the industrial/warehouse side of things so they are also a expansion site for companies like Motoman, wanting to expand via building new.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,127,726 times
^Good analysis. I think you hit the nail on the head for sure IMO.

What I'm wondering is why we're not more aggressively pursuing office tenants? Like regional sales offices, call centers, anything that just requires cheap office space? I'm wondering especially for places like the old E-B HQ buildings in Moraine, the vacant big-boxes in Trotwood, etc.

I have a feeling the workforce could be pulled to support these type of jobs, and we have the space... why isn't it happening?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Same with logistics jobs, though we are seeing more of that now. Our area is perfectly situated for those types of jobs.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,828,913 times
The growth at Austin Landing, and its counterpart Union Centre about 20 miles to the south in West Chester, both point toward a powerful trend that can't be ignored - that Cincinnati and Dayton are growing together along I-75. Despite the state showing a real lack of growth (0.15% last time I checked), there's at least one big growth corridor locally that should be capitalized on.

I-75 is finished through Butler and Warren Counties and is eight lanes from I-275 to Austin Landing. If you start at Union Centre, it's actually easier to get north to Austin Landing than it is to get to downtown Cincinnati at rush hour, due to the latter's traffic and construction (despite Union Centre being roughly equidistant between the two).

It's take a few more years to fuse together, but you've already got big growth in Monroe (Cincinnati Premium Outlets, Miami Valley Gaming, Kohl's), Liberty Township (residential) Middletown, (Atrium), and Springboro (residential).

I expect ODOT to put a new exit ramp around the Manchester Road area (exit 34?) before long.

The question doesn't become if it happens, or what the urban planners can do to stop this infill, but rather when it happens.

The next question is, what does Dayton plan on doing about it? Can it continue to forge its own identity, with its own employment centers and local economy that distinguish it from Cincinnati, yet be able to cooperate on a regional level to bring jobs to the area?

In short, does Dayton become the next Fort Worth or St. Paul... where it's clearly a viable alternative to the larger city... or it does it become the next Akron - which has pretty well lost its identity and become part of "Northeast Ohio", lumped in with Cleveland?

Comparisons between Dayton and Akron aren't that far apart...

It's 50 miles from downtown Cincinnati to downtown Dayton... 35 miles from Cleveland to Akron.
The metro areas are comparable in size (~800,000 vs. ~700,000)
Both cities lost a crap ton of manufacturing jobs in the last three decades (NCR, GM, Delco... think Firestone for Akron)

Old 07-15-2014, 02:32 PM

IMO, Dayton and Cincinnati need to work together. There are plenty of companies that could have businesses/offices in both cities and draw employment and customers from Southwest Ohio. That is one reason I wanted the new GE center to be somewhere between the 2 cities. It would have benefited both cities that way by drawing workers from the entire area. Obviously, Dayton needs to find a way to get their own businesses, but I think there has to be a way where the 2 cities can work together.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,127,726 times
November!
Costco to open in November - Dayton Business Journal

And Apple's opening this week:
Dayton?s first Apple store to open Saturday - Dayton Business Journal

Old 07-16-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I wish they would have improved the streets around the new development. The traffic there is already bad.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Dr. Mike Ervin shares thoughts on the future of downtown Dayton

Dr. Mike Ervin shares thoughts on the future of downtown Dayton - Dayton Business Journal

He is 100% right with this, IMO.

Quote:
As we were doing this planning, we realized we are creating great places and venues. But the biggest shortcoming is it’s not all connected.
I don't know how to do it, but we need to be able to have people who are going to a Dragons game or to a play at the Schuster Center to be able to go to places like the Oregon District before or after.

Last edited by RDriesenUD; 07-16-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 03:22 PM

$165 million project in Centerville to create 1,200 jobs - Dayton Business Journal

I am not a huge fan of this development. They didn't add any lanes to the streets (that I know of) and the area is already REALLY BUSY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton