Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 05:14 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,434,817 times

Advertisements

Dewey's at UD is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 PM

Dayton-Cincinnati economic development fund a step closer to reality - Dayton Business Journal

Old 10-21-2014, 05:34 PM

Beavercreek company lands $23M Air Force research deal - Dayton Business Journal

Old 10-22-2014, 09:56 AM

465 posts, read 654,931 times
That's actually really good news regionally, but no news outlet in Cincinnati seems to be covering or aware of it yet. Having the port authorities work together will make the region on the whole more attractive to businesses for relocation, and it will make it more likely that infrastructure improvements get done.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
That's actually really good news regionally, but no news outlet in Cincinnati seems to be covering or aware of it yet. Having the port authorities work together will make the region on the whole more attractive to businesses for relocation, and it will make it more likely that infrastructure improvements get done.
Agreed. The key for me is this....

"and anti-poaching guidelines to prevent moving jobs around within the region."

There is no true improvement or gain if all that is happening is companies moving from one city to another.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:43 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,889,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
There is no true improvement or gain if all that is happening is companies moving from one city to another.
It's worse that that. There is a deterioration or loss from companies moving from one city to another because they are doing so to grab handouts that are paid for by the entities that are staying put.

Every time they move, they hurt the place they are moving from and also hurt the place they are moving to because those tax credits or lower rates or just cash has to come from someone else.

The only way to get businesses to stay, expand, and move into an area - long term - is to make the area consistently desirable for businesses. It's real hard and boring to streamline regulation and permitting and real easy just to take money out of the general fund and hand it over to a business that makes promises.

More efficient government doesn't provide photo-ops like ribbon-cutting ceremonies.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Good points.

Another local company adding jobs.

NuVasive to double production, add 35 jobs | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 AM

This is HUGE news for Dayton if you ask me. One, it is a prime property. Two, they wouldn't be doing this if they were confident it would succeed.

Downtown Dayton's Delco building sold to Crawford Hoying, developer of Water Street (Exclusive) - Dayton Business Journal

Old 10-23-2014, 01:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
That's really big news! Glad to see them exercise their option now (so I'm betting Water St has some very strong numbers) and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the property.

I'm more interested in Mendelsons next move. Anyone thinking they'll buy a chunk of GM Moraine? I'd rather see them buy the big manufacturing facility at James H McGee and 35 on the west side, but if they do decide to stay around I bet they will go for Moraine, some big box space on Salem, or the Emery HQ (which IMO is probably most ideal since they can capitalize in cheap air logistics to buy/sell goods).

Old 10-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
That's really big news! Glad to see them exercise their option now (so I'm betting Water St has some very strong numbers) and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the property.
Yeah. That is what I am thinking/hoping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton