Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 05:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times

Advertisements

^Lots of good news downtown!

And excellent to hear about the large turnout for the DDP meeting. There ARE a lot of people whom care about what happens to this city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 05:57 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,139,056 times
Quote:
....with another $6.6 million in infrastructure planned to make downtown more
bike-friendly. Another $72 million has been invested in transit and
infrastructure projects near downtown, with many of the corridors from the south
of the city getting face lifts. Now, place-based transportation plans, signage
and wayfinding, and new solutions for parking are where leaders hope to focus
more energy
...if they want to see how to REALLY do bike-friendly infrastructure they should look to Indianapolis' Cultural Trail. This painting lines on the streets is pretty lame compared to what Indy has done (and they integrated a bike share system with this trail, too)

About - Indianapolis Cultural Trail : Indianapolis Cultural Trail

Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,434,817 times
Maybe you should let them know what you think instead of complaining on the internet.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,290,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Downtown plan: free shuttles, river development | www.mydaytondailynews.com

I like the idea of helping entrepreneurs out and building on the progress along the river. Also, I wish they would make the river more of a river, if you know what I mean. I know why it isn't, but it is so low and often times there are "islands" in the middle of the river, because of how low it is.
Don't have the paywall, is RTA raising hell about the shuttles, or are they the ones providing it?

Old 11-23-2014, 12:22 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Don't have the paywall, is RTA raising hell about the shuttles, or are they the ones providing it?
It hasn't gotten past the tire kicking stage yet.

That said, I proposed a circular connector that would connect downtown, UD, and the Oregon District in one route that ran every 10-15 minutes. Even so, ridership would be pretty low at most hours unless you provided a reason to go to the other locations (apart from bar crawling).

Old 11-23-2014, 07:42 AM

Yeah, I agree. While it is a nice idea, I don't think it would be used that much. I'd rather see a service (like Uber) where you can call and get a ride within a certain distance for free. Just have some drivers waiting throughout the downtown area. Then, you aren't paying to have something running all of the time.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 AM

^Also agreed. I see the value, but I also realize most all of these locations are easily accessible by car or RTA, and currently people seem to be ok accessing them by these means.

I think a shuttle would be great for tourists, but not so much for locals. That being said, I do think an efficient, free shuttle system would be a very easy way to drive tourists (and their revenue) right into the city - literally!

Because over 1 million tourists come to WPAFB every year. Few of them, despite their interest in aviation, ever make the trek over to Carillon Park or any of the Wright Bros' heritage sites in the area. Many of these same tourists would likely be interested in other area attractions too, like the Packard Museum, Riverscape, Mendelson's etc. I personally think this should be the end objective here, but we'll see what happens. Any shuttle is better than no shuttle, I guess.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
^Also agreed. I see the value, but I also realize most all of these locations are easily accessible by car or RTA, and currently people seem to be ok accessing them by these means.

I think a shuttle would be great for tourists, but not so much for locals. That being said, I do think an efficient, free shuttle system would be a very easy way to drive tourists (and their revenue) right into the city - literally!

Because over 1 million tourists come to WPAFB every year. Few of them, despite their interest in aviation, ever make the trek over to Carillon Park or any of the Wright Bros' heritage sites in the area. Many of these same tourists would likely be interested in other area attractions too, like the Packard Museum, Riverscape, Mendelson's etc. I personally think this should be the end objective here, but we'll see what happens. Any shuttle is better than no shuttle, I guess.
Yeah, good point. Maybe work something out where you can have people at the museum take visitors to other places. Also, advertise those places more, especially at the museum. I have always thought we should offer packages to visitors. Stay 1 or 2 nights in a local hotel and get admittance to the museum, the Dayton Art Institute, etc.... (whatever you choose). You can even work with Cincinnati to make it bigger and have people stay an extra day or 2. There are so many places to go to in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. Museums, Art Institutes, zoos, etc....

Old 11-23-2014, 12:36 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,139,056 times
Quote:

Maybe you should let them know what you think instead of complaining on the
internet.
But this is a lot more fun (and just as effective!)

Quote:

I think a shuttle would be great for tourists, but not so much for
locals.
They has some sort of open-air shuttle for awhile downtown, around the time of that centenary of aviation stuff (?>). I guess that was just a temporary thing, and, of course it was seasonal.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
But this is a lot more fun (and just as effective!)
I hope you're right. I know this site gets crazy good Google search results, so I'm hoping community leaders are at least reading the site occasionally and considering some of the ideas bounced around. I know Gary Leitzell came by once, maybe he'll come back again? That would be an awesome perspective to have on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton