Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 09:31 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,434,817 times

Advertisements

Riverside Research defense firm nearly doubling its office size in Dayton and hiring 60 new workers - Dayton Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times
^Very nice!

Tying in to that news, the city of Riverside projects a roughly 15% car traffic increase on Airway between Smithville and Woodman between now and 2020. Anyone know why?

Riverside plans $3.5M in upgrades to Airway Road | www.daytondailynews.com

Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM

No idea. The Riverside Research news is good, because of the types of jobs and pay that should come because of the expansion.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:11 PM

909 posts, read 1,408,768 times
Perhaps they are expecting more people to live in East Dayton/West Riverside who would be commuting to the base. Outside of that, I don't really see any other justification for the increase in traffic.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:28 PM

This is the kind of thing that doesn't help our area.

Nearly 250 jobs could move from Kettering to Moraine | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Old 02-26-2015, 06:00 PM

14,637 posts, read 14,509,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
This is the kind of thing that doesn't help our area.

Nearly 250 jobs could move from Kettering to Moraine | www.mydaytondailynews.com
Shameful poaching. That kind of thing would just increase if Dayton further splintered itself, as some of you suggested in another thread.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Shameful poaching.
That it is.

What makes it even better is that both communities are a fault for this round of musical chairs. First Kettering when poaching The Berry Co. into Research Park, and now the other way around with Fidelity moving literally half a mile up the road to The Berry Co's former facility.

To be honest, I wouldn't care if it weren't for the massive tax cuts. New investment is excellent. But spending wads of money on frivolous tax breaks when there are people starving on the streets? And broken roads and blight? Not a fan.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 PM

Write up on the market forces behind the increased demand for apartments in the Dayton area:

Fewer vacancies help fuel demand for new apartments | www.mydaytondailynews.com

Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Write up on the market forces behind the increased demand for apartments in the Dayton area:

Fewer vacancies help fuel demand for new apartments | www.mydaytondailynews.com
A few disjointed comments to add on the trend of rent versus buy issue (maybe this deserves its own thread):

1) If the job situation can be resolved, I think homeownership will slowly but surely rise again. What you're seeing in a tight rental market is a lot of people faced with uncertainty - either job hopping or having to move from one city to another in search of employment.

2) One thing Dayton is sorely missing is large companies. Sure, there's Reynolds, Lexis, WPAFB - but the base of Fortune 500 companies is gone. They represent a pillar of steady employment. If you join a large company, your chances of getting laid off, outsourced, RIF'd, or the company going out of business is comparatively smaller than if you were in a small business. Without steady employment, there's not much incentive to buy a house if you might lose your job at any time.

3) I have yet to determine if I'm in the minority at 25 - I look forward to the day I can own a place and have it paid for... and not have to pay rent to a landlord, ever again. Sure, there's property taxes, but I in theory have at least some say over how high they are. And in most cases, property taxes are still way lower than rent. But I'm one of only a few people my age who talk about owning a home in the foreseeable future.

For many younger people, it's just not on their radar at all... many are underemployed, or they are working full time... too much full-time, and wouldn't have time to maintain a house. I wonder if that will ever change? If it doesn't, that doesn't portend well for home values as the ratio of renters increase.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 AM

Good points. Also, you are not alone. I would never rent if I didn't have too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton