Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,395 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are relocating from Florida soon.

We are looking for a place to live, but we are only going to rent for now. We will both be working at WPAFB. We want the commute not to be too long (10-15 minutes). No kids (all grown) - we are in our late 40's and early 50's. We enjoy going out occasionally, eating out, love the outdoors, love the water (river, lake, beach )

So far I've heard that the areas to look in are: Fairborn, Bellbrook, Centreville, Sugarcreek, Oakwood, Xenia, Beavercreek, Vandalia.

Is there any info you can give me to rule out some of those cities? Any help would be appreciated.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
We want to rent - less than $1000 per month - the lower the better

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
Prefer 10-15 minutes

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
I would prefer the country, but higher priority would be commute time. Like the small city, needs to have some good places to eat, don't like noisy cities and want to stay away from high-crime areas.

-Community amenities important to you?
nice parks, bike trails, good restaurants, a few upscale bars, river or lake would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,653 times
Hi newtonjw--

Of those areas you mentioned, Beavercreek would be the best option. A close second is Bellbrook/Sugarcreek Township. All three of those are on a short list of cities in Ohio which don't levy any sort of income taxes - which will save you thousands of dollars per year.

Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment should run you in the $800 range in those areas.

Depending on what part of Beavercreek, you're looking at a 5-15 minute drive. Likewise with Fairborn and Bellbrook. Yellow Springs and Vandalia would be a bit further, probably 20-30 minutes. Xenia is 20+ minutes as well, although rent would be somewhat lower. Oakwood would put you in the 15-20 minute range, although 25 might be more realistic with the construction on US-35.

As far as crime goes, I recommend anything in Greene County (from your list, Beavercreek, Bellbrook, Sugarcreek Township, Xenia).

As far as parks and bike trails, the area is home to an excellent network of trails. link

Hope this helps

Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 AM

909 posts, read 1,408,608 times
I recently was looking at Dayton area rental listings, just to get an idea of what things would cost, and it seems like many places in the area give lower rates to military people and in some cases non-military who work on base. To second what hensleya1 said about Greene County, my family's grand jury experience pretty much shows that most of the felonies committed in the county are either people stealing an expensive enough thing at one of the malls that it reaches the felony level or drug deals or drug deal related violence in a small section of Fairborn right up against the base. But as long as you don't live along the stretch of Kaufman Rd. from Dayton-Yellow Springs Rd. to Broad St. and the part of Broad St. from the base to the strip club, the rest of Fairborn is just as safe as the rest of the county.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:54 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,055,529 times
OP, are you looking for an apartment/condo, townhouse, or home to rent? That may vary responses to what place would be best to look.

The above posters are pretty spot on with their advice. Greene County is pretty quiet, with a few neighborhoods in Fairborn and Xenia being a little sketchy. Plenty of apartments in Beavercreek, Fairborn, Kettering (another option), and Centerville. The commute time would vary depending on where you are and how far from I-675 you would be.

Just an FYI, but rents, especially for homes and townhouses, tend to be high for a metro of Dayton's size. This is mainly due to the base and its transient employees and families. Also, keep in mind the closer to the base you are, the more options may be available due to the rotating workforce. That means Fairborn and Beavercreek. Also, it could mean higher rents and quicker turnover between leases making competition high.

Final FYI. If you are looking for apartments, just be aware that many in the Fairborn area along the Zink Road corridor (behind Meijer) cater to Wright State University students. Many are nice (students and apartments), but parties may be more noticeable than most other complexes. Just a heads up on that.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,156,517 times
If you are military, Reserve, Guard, retired or maybe even civilian (not sure) you can check for rentals on the Automated Housing network, I think that's the name.
You can rent a small, large apt sized house in Fairborn for the same rent as an apt. Fairborn is the small community right outside the gate. there are some trashy parts, lots on a cheaper place would probably be quite small and maybe not have a garage.
Small ranch houses in Beavercreek (vs. small bungalows in Fairborn) tend to run btw 1200 and 1400 and will have a larger yard usually, probably a garage and some trees. Beavercreek will be a little closer to shopping and dining, not qute as close to base but really neither are far. Same for Huber Heights which has a lot of smallish houses, smallish lots for rent. Pretty close to base, some neighborhoods probably nicer than others. There is also some new construction, some of which is for rent at higher prices. Lot of military in some of the areas.
Bellbrook and Cenvterville are getting to be a bit more of a commute.
It is hard to find rural type rentals around here.
I live in one of the apt's Wrightflyer mentioned, right across the street from area B and have lived here for 5 years. Its a decent place, a fair amout of base or military but also some college students, young families and other mixed bag people.
One thing about my apt vs. a house. its not just the rent but when i talk to others about their utilities I find that my small (780sqft) apt with a apt above me and someone on either side has pretty low heating/ac bills comparatively.
Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by Giesela; 10-22-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,105,074 times
Oakwood doesn't have a lot of rental stock, so that may pose a problem. I like the Bellbrook area, but I don't know enough about the place to comment on their rental market. I think you will find a larger rental market in the Centerville/Washington Twp and Beavercreek areas. You are really limiting yourself with the short commute time.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,156,517 times
There is plenty in HH and Beavercreek and Fairborn w/in that commute. None of these is what you would call a small town though. They are all basically suburbs, perhaps with the exception of Fairborn which has a small old fashioned downtown, but no real shopping or restaurants to speak of. I mean there are a few but nothing special. There is a library. The apt complex I live in, Charterwoods, is just within Fairborn limits. Fairborn taxes are a little lower and you can just go to the govt office, the look it up and you write a check. you don't have to fill out forms. I LOVE that.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,138,529 times
The northern part of Beavercreek, or Fairborn...the parts of Fairborn around Wright-State U.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,395 times
Thanks so much for your input - especially with regard to the distances and the taxes!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 AM

909 posts, read 1,408,608 times
One thing Gisela failed to point out is that property taxes only count if you own the property, not rent it, so if they are renting and working on base, living in either Beavercreek or in any township would mean that they wouldn't have to pay local income tax as well and just pay state and federal taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton