U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,231,739 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I moved out a loooong time ago and I limit my Dayton visits to Trader Joe's, 2nd St. Market, a family member, and one friend.

Dayton's a consummate bummer for me to visit any more - filled with fidgety, angry people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,231,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I took a leap on a Toyota about six years ago and haven't looked back. That childhood experience was, for me, enough to swear off GM products forever. It's reinforced daily by friends who own GM cars (I mentioned the Grand Prix and the Chevy Cavalier by name because of multiple stories to that effect) and they are constantly shelling out the bucks to fix that knob, this headlight, that control arm, etc. So, in essence, I've reached the exact opposite conclusion that the GM families reached.
Most GM workers (in my Dad's generation, anyway) maintained a rock solid sense of denial about the quality.They'd admit to the problems. They would act like it was nothing. Incredible doublethink going on there.

My dad would describe individual GM quality problems and we had them all the time. IE, he would not allow me to take a Chevy Vega out of the state because of the P.O.S. aluminum block engine with the flaky cooling system prone to breakdown. But it was a "good" car.

He took possession of a 1975 Nova (first model year with square headlights and retooled body) and the bench seat in the back was not fastened down - it was delivered loose - the idiots at the plant didn't push it down so the clips or whatever clamped onto the cushion and locked it. Lots of minor issues. My dad *never* kept a GM car for more than 1 year when I was growing up. I know that he knew - it would start to fall apart if he hung onto it.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM

1,578 posts, read 2,313,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Your million dollar question is a moot point. When they closed it was always for good - end of story.
Well if they are not going to reopen it they better demolish it so some redevelopment can happen. It's a ghost town in that area of town.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,847,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Well if they are not going to reopen it they better demolish it so some redevelopment can happen. It's a ghost town in that area of town.
Ex-Moraine GM plant to have first tenant | www.daytondailynews.com

Old 10-24-2012, 09:33 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,135,160 times
Quote:
Well, I enjoyed what you posted before it was hi-jacked into a political soap box on GM.

Personally, I would like to hear more. Thanks Peasant!
You are welcome.

Some people only look in about once a week. Give them a chance to comment. And, also allow time for anyone who wants to complain to get their complaint in -- no point in creative work if it's going to be stopped dead for some reason.

It's interesting that out of something like a couple of dozen possible topics, the discussion almost immediately drifts to the south suburbs. As I said in the beginning "You won't find much about Dayton itself in this web-site room."

Old 10-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
It's interesting that out of something like a couple of dozen possible topics, the discussion almost immediately drifts to the south suburbs.
Personally, as someone who lived in Linden Heights just off of Xenia Ave and spent most of their short time in Dayton in Dayton proper, I think people have no idea what they are missing by not taking advantage of what's in Dayton. There is a lot there that most folks don't know about. Your initial post showed that right off the bat.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,782,913 times
Quote:
It's interesting that out of something like a couple of dozen possible topics, the discussion almost immediately drifts to the south suburbs. As I said in the beginning "You won't find much about Dayton itself in this web-site room."

The purpose of this board is to provide advice to people relocating to the Dayton metropolitan, and you have to tailor advice to what the relocatee is interested in.

The reason the south suburbs come up a lot is that the properties there hold their value, they are convenient, are in in good physcial condition, and have relatively good school systems.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM

31,396 posts, read 57,653,070 times
Quote:
There are eight riverbanks in the city.
I had to stop and count, LOL.

Quote:
General Motors is a common term and a very sore point in Dayton.
No doubt it's right up there with "Cash".

Quote:
Your million dollar question is a moot point. When they closed it was always for good - end of story.
Well, that's what they said when Frigidaire closed, too, but then GM thought it would be a good place to build S-10s. But I see from the link you provided that the site could be turned into more of an industrial incubator type place. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
My dad called the company "Generous Motors".
I grew up in a GE family and a GE neighborhood, and we called it "Generous Electric" ... until it wasn't.

Quote:
Only GM cars were an conceivable option. One primary reason is because the GM guys received employee discounts.
They also got better parking. There were separate lots, if I'm recalling correctly, for GM cars, for other U.S. cars, and for imports. The import lot was practically the whole way to Bellbrook.

Quote:
As I said in the beginning "You won't find much about Dayton itself in this web-site room."
I don't think anyone will complain if you start various discussion topics about Dayton. I certainly wouldn't.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't think anyone will complain if you start various discussion topics about Dayton. I certainly wouldn't.
I'm game. I loved Dayton, and want nothing more than to see it get back on it's feet again.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,782,913 times
Quote:
Dayton's a consummate bummer for me to visit any more - filled with fidgety, angry people.
Yep, the people make the place. Not a fan either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or