U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 AM

31,502 posts, read 57,785,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
If one prefers a more urban/bohemian/"creative class" environment or lifestyle, this area is lacking (though one can get ones' "fix" of this kind of scene in Cincy or Columbus).
Or you could just look a little harder and find it in Dayton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I remember very well the nasty, unthinking, redneck racism and xenophobia that was so very common around Dayton when I was a kid growing up in the 70s.
Dayton was not, and is not, unique in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,856,088 times
Quote:
If one prefers a more urban/bohemian/"creative class" environment or lifestyle, this area is lacking (though one can get ones' "fix" of this kind of scene in Cincy or Columbus).
Ohiogirl81 is right. There is a small urban/bohemian/"creative class" scene in Dayton.

One need look no further than Dayton Most Metro. South Park Tavern is also a popular haunt for these types of folks. Many of them used to post here as well. In Dayton this scene is sort of centered around downtown, South Park, Oregon District, and Saint Anne's Hill.

These folks are very committed to Dayton and are willing to stick with Dayton to make it better.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM

502 posts, read 632,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
rebek,

We live just outside of Grandview Heights. It is nice because we are minutes from all the shops and restaurants in Grandview but we are technically located in Columbus proper. It is a good Condo complex with great neighbors. There are plenty of condos in Columbus that would fit your interests as Columbus has a lot of great urban neighborhoods.
Thanks. We'll keep it in mind when the time comes.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,796,292 times
Quote:
As for Dayton. I lived there for five years. It was simply the most pessimistic place that I ever lived. I almost felt that if i stayed, I would adopt that attitude.
Hah, yes...the Dayton Vortex of Despair! Or, as a co-worker of mine called it, "The Dayton Gloom" (he was also talking about the weather).

Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Ohiogirl81 is right. There is a small urban/bohemian/"creative class" scene in Dayton.
....or Yellow Springs, which goes along with my remarks that this is a great area of subruban/small-town quality of life. Yellow Springs is the suburban small town with the urban bohemian scene....where the people in this area go if they want that type of thing.

It's pretty remarkable how well-attended their events are. The relatively new craft fair they had, and that long-running fall street fair, are quite popular!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
These folks are very committed to Dayton and are willing to stick with Dayton to make it better.

...but not enough to make a difference or really change the local culture enough so that the city has a fighting chance. What goes on here is pretty weak & tenous, IMO.

Despite these negative comments about a certain...what...lifestyle thing or urban culture thing...I do value the quality of life in the region and that it has offereings in things that I've become more interested in and active in.

Change ones frame of reference and this area starts to look pretty good. The lemon becomes lemonade.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
One need look no further than Dayton Most Metro. South Park Tavern is also a popular haunt for these types of folks. Many of them used to post here as well. In Dayton this scene is sort of centered around downtown, South Park, Oregon District, and Saint Anne's Hill.

Quote:
....or Yellow Springs
To be clear I am talking about Dayton proper.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:40 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,235,023 times
Ok, here's how I see it. The "holistic" picture is like this.

In Dayton, if you are eccentric, have a colorful personality, are "real", or are simply not a grey, boring person, you probably will have trouble being accepted and fitting in. Daytonians as a rule don't like different or non conformity.

As a "free spirit", your best bet here is to find your way into one or more cliques of similar minded people.

The cliques of SW Ohio are the cornerstone of social intercourse in this region. If you don't have a clique membership you're screwed. It's a hard area to move into, again. Cliques are supportive, nurturing, and often, very hostile and unsympathetic to outsiders - having in some cases, as necessary for the protection of clique members, a siege mentality. So the best ones can be hard to get into.

I posit that the bohemian scene mentioned above is one face of this kind of protective affiliation.

So get your clique membership.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
So get your clique membership.
Dayton is EXTREMELY cliquish.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,235,023 times
It's almost like I wrote a commercial on how to be a Daytonian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or