U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,232,632 times

Advertisements

To add to Dayton Sux's comments -

Redneck and lower class people around Dayton just tend to have big mouths. Not that they can't be provoked but their bark is usually worse than their bite, relative to what tryingtomove6 is saying about FL social culture.

Mainly people around Dayton are very insecure about being disrespected. That's the main motivator around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,764 times
Dayton is done, all the big industry is gone. All that's left is the Air Force Base(Wright Patt) and when our leaders in DC realize it's time to downsize the military, I expect this base to take a big hit as well.
The roads are terrible, the leaders suck, too hot and humid in the summer and too cold and damp in the winter and there is no money to do anything to help this town advance.
After 50 yrs in this town, I am done. My wife retires next year and we are heading out west, probably Az or NM. Cost of living is good, but don't move here unless your broke and can't go somewhere else.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,787,556 times
NM is great! I'd prefer it to Arizona.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 PM

11,863 posts, read 9,819,237 times
Yeah, New Mexico is nice, but I've personally written off all of the Southwest, and most of the West in general, due to water issues which will only get worse with the coming decades. That's one thing which should give the Great Lakes states/provinces a lot of leverage in coming years.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,816,221 times
^True. Until desalination methods are more effective and less expensive, suburbia in the southwest is far from sustainable (and regardless far from responsible).

Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,137,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelnel4449 View Post
Dayton is done, all the big industry is gone. All that's left is the Air Force Base(Wright Patt) and when our leaders in DC realize it's time to downsize the military, I expect this base to take a big hit as well.
The roads are terrible, the leaders suck, too hot and humid in the summer and too cold and damp in the winter and there is no money to do anything to help this town advance.
After 50 yrs in this town, I am done. My wife retires next year and we are heading out west, probably Az or NM. Cost of living is good, but don't move here unless your broke and can't go somewhere else.

AARP recently did some research on senior services -- i.e., old folks' medical stuff, etc. As it was on national news, anyone interested can probably find something about it. Their findings: the worst states in the country are Florida and Arizona.

Now that was followed by Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky. You might say I'm ten feet from the Ohio river and draw on services in Cincinnati as well as Kentucky and live in a building with corporate headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana. If anyone thinks this is superb, let me say, I figure if I moved south I'd be dead before the end of the month, but if anyone sincerely thinks he or she likes the idea of doing so, good luck.

And, just incidentally, if I remember correctly the best state was Minnesota and some place in the Pacific northwest ... kind of adjacent to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or