Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 02:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,689,724 times

Advertisements

You can count on me, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,736,994 times
God in heaven! They haven't left yet.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:01 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,475,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi all--

Continuing my trend of posting about the positive things of this town, rather than saying this place sucks, it's terrible, and I'm leaving.

Asking a Mod to pin this.

Post any pictures you have of the city of Dayton and its surrounding area.

Downtown from the DAI

Another view from Deeds Point

This is from Arcade Seafoods at the corner of First and Ludlow. Sometimes, I can kid myself into thinking I live in a big city.
VERY nice photos, Hensleya1! How 'bout posting them in a new thread where ONLY Dayton photos and comments about them will be allowed! That way, this thread can continue on the off-kilter direction that it has headed...

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,140,320 times
I notice Dayton doesnt have a 'south side' or 'south end'

Actualy Dayton doesnt have sides or ends at all.

Seems like locals refer to "East Dayton" and "West Dayton" as much...or even more... as they say east side or west side. And, for suburbia, you "live north" or "live south" vs the South Suburbs or "South County" or something like that (for Chicago, for example, one lives in the "Western Suburbs", not "live West")

Then the is "Old North Dayton". WHich I guess, in a normal city, would be the north side or north end.

But what about that "old" in "Old North Dayton"?

Is there a 'new' North Dayton? Would that be, er, Huber Heights?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,183,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Then the is "Old North Dayton". WHich I guess, in a normal city, would be the north side or north end.

I feel you. Doesn't make a lot of sense, now does it.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I notice Dayton doesnt have a 'south side' or 'south end'

Actualy Dayton doesnt have sides or ends at all.

Seems like locals refer to "East Dayton" and "West Dayton" as much...or even more... as they say east side or west side. And, for suburbia, you "live north" or "live south" vs the South Suburbs or "South County" or something like that (for Chicago, for example, one lives in the "Western Suburbs", not "live West")

If I recall correctly "East End" and "West Side" can be found on old maps, while "East Side" has never been said too awfully much.

Thank you for acknowledging there is possibly a north and a south.

Huber Heights is actually northeast and "Old North Dayton" obviously isn't all there is that's north or even northeast within the city proper. Gracious me, the Dayton police department does visit Triangle Park.

As for Chicago, all ll I've heard of Chicago is/was "Skokie" (and Downers Grove, which I don't think is west).

Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lived here forever View Post
Ok people, this is how it goes. Third and Main is considered the middle point. Each PB and area is considered from that point. SEPB is southeast of that corner, NWPB is northwest of that corner, Innerwest is west from that corner, etc.

And I live in the east end. Born and raised here. There is one.
Hey peasant. Re-read this post. While there is a neighborhood called Old North Dayton, I have never heard Dayton referred to as north Dayton or south Dayton. For someone who thinks they know a lot about Dayton you sure come up woefully short on the simplest of matters.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Hey peasant. Re-read this post. While there is a neighborhood called Old North Dayton, I have never heard Dayton referred to as north Dayton or south Dayton. For someone who thinks they know a lot about Dayton you sure come up woefully short on the simplest of matters.
She's talking about directions not the actual lines on the map districts and you know it. I'd be very surprised if she didn't know there was a downtown priority board.

And, now that you've thereby managed to insult the intelligence of a nice lady for no good reason, what next?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
CarpathianPeasant, is there ANY room in your reasoning for a local colloquialism? Cripes almighty!!!

My mother grew up in Dyt in the 1920s and 30s. She interchangeably used the phrases "east side" and "east end".
Again. Local colloquialism. East end/side ---- West side. It's how Dayton is basically referred to by locals. I certainly meant no offense, but you are being rather stubborn and argumentative for no reason.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Default in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58
CarpathianPeasant, is there ANY room in your reasoning for a local colloquialism? Cripes almighty!!!

My mother grew up in Dyt in the 1920s and 30s. She interchangeably used the phrases "east side" and "east end".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Again. Local colloquialism. East end/side ---- West side. It's how Dayton is basically referred to by locals. I certainly meant no offense, but you are being rather stubborn and argumentative for no reason.
And, when I asked the gentleman a second time whether his mother ever called Dayton View "the west side" I got cussed out. I doubt that she did. And, in NO place I did say "east side" was never, never, ever used.

You believe the transient media too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton