Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM

116 posts, read 212,273 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I got a job offer and I am looking to move to Dayton area (haven't circled on the suburb yet). I'm looking to spend around 250-300K and I want some land with my house (5-10 acres). I also want this to be in a good school district. Any recommendations? I know oakwood is great but the commute from there to New Bremen will kill me. My wife doesn't want to live in New Bremen because its too small.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,833,853 times
Hi codexone--

The best suburban school districts in no particular order are Bellbrook, Beavercreek, and Centerville. Springboro, on the south end of the Dayton suburbs, is also pretty good from what I can tell.

Your best chance of getting a decent amount of land is either in Bellbrook, Waynesville, or Beavercreek Township (the unincorporated part of Beavercreek just to the east).

You mentioned New Bremen in your post - is that where you'll be working? If so, that'd be a bear of a drive regardless of where in the Dayton metro area you're living in. It might be tolerable from Vandalia (45-50 minutes), but I'd consider Lima if you worked that far north.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 PM

116 posts, read 212,273 times
Hi there, HenSlaya.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will be working in New Bremen. I was thinking Tipp City was a commute that could be doable. How are Tippacanoe schools compared to say Oakwood or Beavercreek?

Also, which neighborhood are liberal (comparatively)?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,833,853 times
Hi codexone--

I can't comment on the quality of Tipp City schools but I can on how the people voted:

(Courtesy of Dave's Redistricting Tool.)

The west side of Dayton and Trotwood are overwhelmingly black (which as a group went 98+% Obama), hence how that section of town voted. The center city includes downtown and the Oregon District, which is about as close to as a liberal urban enclave as you'll get - a walkable neighborhood, bars/restaurants, clubs, etc - and also went heavily Democratic in 2008. Oakwood is a swing area, with Centerville and Beavercreek being more conservative.

I'll be straight up about it, though - Dayton is no Chicago. If you want to get away to the city, you'll find yourself driving to downtown Cincinnati or the Short North neighborhood in Columbus on weekends.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,740,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
The west side of Dayton and Trotwood are overwhelmingly black (which as a group went 98+% Obama....
As you can see by the blue, the area from central Dayton towards the west-northwest and to an extent northernly went 98%....

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,148,561 times
New Bremen, nearby Minster, and the surrounding countryside are actually pretty nice places to live in their own right. The area was settled by Germans and the towns and houses are VERY well maintained. Picture perferct midwest America.

Or you could live in Miami County, between Dayton and New Bremen (which is in Auglaize County, I think).

The price range you give should be pretty do-able for a house on some country road + acerage for the suburbs north of Dayton.

For schools here is a linke to the Ohio Dept of Education scorecards. This url...

ODE : iLRC

....will take you to a pick list of counties...the counties you want are Miami, Auglaize (New Bremen), and Montgomery. Click on a county and you will see a list of school districts to pick from.

The districts you would be interested in in Montgomery County would be Vandalia/Butler, Northmont (which are the suburbs of Clayton, Englewood, and Union), and Brookville. These are the northern tier of suburbs and townships that would be north of the city, thus closer to New Bremen. All of them have semi-rural areas where you can find some acreage.

For Miami County you can find Tipp plus a few others.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Also, which neighborhood are liberal (comparatively)?
Western and Southwest Ohio are the most conservative parts of the state, so not liberal at all. None. OK, maybe Troy and Piqua, and the Englewood/Clayton area might be more Democratic-leaning. You'd actually have to live in the city of Dayton itself and certain parts of Oakwood and Yellow Springs to find more liberal leaning neighborhoods.

Actually Yellow Springs (in Greene County, east of Dayton) would have country areas that lean a bit more Democrat (surrounding Miami Township), but this would be a fer piece to commute to New Bremen.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 AM

To give you an idea of commuting time from the Dayton area up to New Bremen/Minister, its about 1 hr 15 minutes to commute from Beavercreek up there. So expect to cut that if you locate more to the north, like northern Montgomery County or Miami County.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 AM

12,073 posts, read 23,152,474 times
I believe Tipp City and Troy have pretty decent school districts but you are still looking at a commute that is the better part of an hour. How long are you willing to commute one way?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,064,574 times
Tipp would be a better commute than many of the southern and eastern suburbs of Dayton. I'd say its schools are on par with the best of those areas in the south and east. Oakwood may be the only district to top it in quality, but that is true of everyone. It is a smaller district, but no where as small as some of the rural farm communities.

Speaking of those rural hamlets, some actually have some rather impressive schools. I recommend looking through Mercer and Shelby County as well. They sit west and south of Auglaize respectively. The ODE site is a great resource, even if schools are more than just test scores. St. Henry and Coldwater might be worth a look. Great sports programs in their division.

Unless you really need to be near a larger metro, I would not go any further down I-75 than Tipp City. After that, the commutes become tricky with either all back roads or elbowing across I-70 to I-75 only to cut back west towards New Bremen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton