U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,728 times

Advertisements

We live in DC and my husband got a job offer in Dayton OH. I am really struggling because when I visited the city looked "dead" to me. We are a minority community, Asian, and have three kids, all elementary school age. the prospect of moving from a big city to a town is scary. that being said I am trying to find something positive. every woman I spoke to started with "its an adjustment". We are socially active here, have a large community. Biggest attraction to Dayton is honestly just cost of living. But is that really worth the change in quality of life that we will have. I suspect men think "finances" define most things. I don't but I am happy to give Dayton the benefit of the doubt! Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM

9,364 posts, read 15,843,946 times
Unless you plan to send you kids to a private school, I would avoid Dayton proper. Oakwood, Centerville, Bellbrook and a few others have great school systems (Oakwood has one of the best public school systems in the state while Dayton has one of the worst). Dayton v. DC? You can't compare apples and oranges. That said, Dayton has the Schuster Center, Victoria Theatre, various dance companies and an orchestra, an indie movie theater, a number of museums, a historical society, etc. There are also events in the 'burbs, as well as in Cincinnati, if you want to make the relatively short drive. You need to take the area for what it is. You will be chronically disappointed if you insist on comparing us to D.C. or any other major met area.

How do you anticipate your quality of life declining?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam420 View Post
We live in DC and my husband got a job offer in Dayton OH. I am really struggling because when I visited the city looked "dead" to me. We are a minority community, Asian, and have three kids, all elementary school age. the prospect of moving from a big city to a town is scary. that being said I am trying to find something positive. every woman I spoke to started with "its an adjustment". We are socially active here, have a large community. Biggest attraction to Dayton is honestly just cost of living. But is that really worth the change in quality of life that we will have. I suspect men think "finances" define most things. I don't but I am happy to give Dayton the benefit of the doubt! Thank you.
Hi jam420--

If you're looking for other minorities such as Asians, I've noticed quite a few around the northern end of Beavercreek, nearest the Fairfield Commons mall - plus, Beavercreek city schools have been rated excellent for what, 11 years now?

It's interesting you mention DC because I was there over the summer - and I, for a million reasons (cost of living being near #1) would never live there.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,759,704 times

Quote:
I am really struggling because when I visited the city looked "dead" to me. We are a minority community, Asian, and have three kids, all elementary school age. the prospect of moving from a big city to a town is scary. that being said I am trying to find something positive.
Heres a blog post on asians in the Dayton area:

Asian Festival & Asians & Dayton

Asians have been the #1 immigrant group in the Dayton area, at least until recently, and some are prominent in the local community

Suburban school systems can be quite good. Information and rankings of districts can be found at this link:

School District Ratings

Your impressions of the "city" as being dead are correct. There is very little going on in the city. You would feel very deprived if you were looking for an urban enviroment like DC

If you are familiar with DC the areas that would be a very approximate equivilant to "the Northwest" would actually be the suburb of Oakwood (which also has the best school system in the region).

The postive to the Dayton area is not city living or urban life but Suburbia, which also includes surrounding rural areas.

Suburban life is rather laid-back and quiet, without the hassle and congestion one would find in, say, a place like Northern VA. Suburbs in Dayton are often developed around a small town core so one has a strong sense of place and local character. Others are more collections of subdivisions, but there is a lot of parkland, open space, and traffic is light and distances short compared to what you might be used to.

This area's forte' is probably in familiy-oriented things like youth sports, good schools, and outdoor recreation/active lifestyle options, like cycling, hiking, canoing and kayaking, etc. There's also Muse Machine, a local nonprofit that introduces kids to the peforming arts.

There is also a good local festival culture here: many communities around here have large street fairs and community festivals that are quite popular and family-oriented (the above link to the 'asian festiva" is just a small taste of this).

And, if you want a more "big-city" experience Cincinnati is only 45 minutes away.

The negative is, of course, that Dayton is not a large, cosmopolitan political and economic center the way the Capital Region is, so things are quite limited in that respect.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,382,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam420 View Post
You remind me of a friend I had from DC, when he came to visit me in Akron during the summer, which is a larger city than Dayton, ever so slightly though. He hated Akron. I had never really considered DC; I had heard of it but didn't visit until 2008. DC is so much more than Dayton.

DC is 10,000 people per square mile on 61 square miles. Dayton is 2,900 people per square mile on 55 square miles. Akron is 4,400 people per square mile on 62 square miles. So when you consider that, even though Dayton and DC are technically the same size, DC is over 3 times as dense.

The real difference comes in with the metro area. DC is like 5 million; perhaps 60% on the Northern Virginia side and 40% on the Southern Maryland side. This makes the DC metro six times as large as the Dayton metro.

If you want a city close to the diversity of DC, in Ohio, I'd look at Cleveland, Cincinnati, or even Columbus. All three of these cities, the DC metro is only twice as large. The cities are more urban than Dayton, none of them are 10,000 but Cleveland is a little over 5,000. You also have other ethnicities, whereas Dayton is more Black/White.

Another thing, there are neighborhoods in Cleveland with the density of DC overall. Check out this link

http://www.demographia.com/db-clv-distr.htm

Last edited by goofy328; 12-19-2012 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM

874 posts, read 1,031,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi jam420--

If you're looking for other minorities such as Asians, I've noticed quite a few around the northern end of Beavercreek, nearest the Fairfield Commons mall - plus, Beavercreek city schools have been rated excellent for what, 11 years now?

It's interesting you mention DC because I was there over the summer - and I, for a million reasons (cost of living being near #1) would never live there.
According to the 2010 Census, Beavercreek had 5% of the Dayton area's population, but around 17% of the area's Asian population. Most of the Asian religious and cultural centers are in Beavercreek or parts of Kettering, Centerville, or eastern Dayton that are not far from it.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 PM

218 posts, read 328,775 times
If you visited the last month or so, I can see where you thought it looked "dead". Wait till warm weather. There are festivals galore, kits if activities downtown, and a lot more. When the weather is cold, no one is out. As soon as the thermometer hits 55 or higher, we come alive.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,759,704 times
People do do winter things...cross country ski-ing in some of the metroparks.

@@@

I should also mention childrens theatre. Where I live in Centerville there is the
Town Hall Theatre. THey are in the old township hall in the center of Centerville.

In Beavercreek there is the community theatre which also has the Beavercreek Childrens Theatre

For kids museums there is Boonshoft (natural history), but even better head to Cincinnati for their Museum Center over to COSI in Columbus (about 1 hr 15 min drive)

@@@

For recreation programs, here are two local park district pages:

...for Montgomery County (Dayton and most of the closer suburbs) here is the Five Rivers Metroparks Families page for things to do with the kids

.... for Greene County (Beavercreek) here is a general purpose page: Greene County Parks.

Individual suburbs may also have their own park districts and recreation programs.

Last edited by Dayton Sux; 12-20-2012 at 05:12 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,895,213 times
As part of a family that moved from NOVA to Dayton (Beavercreek) back in 1990 and still have family in MD who commute around and to DC, we've never looked back.

Biggest cons?

Cultural amenities are not comparable, but they are there, especially if you look. Cincinnati is not far either and they get the Broadway tours on their first runs plus the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra is amazing.

Distance from ocean. More of a personal thing, but some of the water activities are what we miss the most.

Biggest pros?

Schools actually. Unlike Fairfax, Prince William, or Loudoun Counties, where I have heard both great and horrible things in varying schools in those districts, the schools here are more community focused. Districts are by each city or township, not whole counties. This makes for a greater sense of community and less drastic difference between the cream-of-the-crop high schools that rank nationally and the others that catch everyone else. Also, no annoying lotteries and what not. However, I am not saying a municipal district system doesn't have flaws (you have to afford the high real estate prices to send your kid to that school). Also, from friends that transferred into Beavercreek High School from some of the mid-tier and lower-tier Fairfax and Prince William schools would talk of the better learning environment at BHS. Fewer fights, literally no gang presence (this surprised me for all the acclaim the NOVA schools get), and great teacher/student support.
My point is the schools can be just as strong here as they are in much of the DC metro, with less gang violence and greater community pride.

Cost of Living and Quality of Life gains: Besides having more income to buy nice things and take family vacations, we have enjoyed not having to commute 45min-1hr one way for a career that can come close to afford those nice things. That and we can take time to invest in community endeavors because you cannot do that sitting on I-395 or the Beltway. Traffic is a huge bonus to living here, which brings me to my next point.

Finally:

There's also the possibility that if you need a larger metro of making the commute (though long by Dayton standards) from a northern Cincy suburb like Mason to Dayton. It would certainly be doable now that I-75 construction is taking a hiatus on that stretch between I-275, the Cincinnati beltway, and downtown Dayton. Mason is about 40 miles from the major WPAFB/Defense Contractor exits. That drive can be done (in good conditions and no major accidents) in about 45 minutes. I cannot think of any drive at rush hour that can be done on that scale anywhere close to DC.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,728 times
This was so helpful We are seriously considering it. clearly I would miss our friends, but Dayton does not seem to be a city to not take seriously. Our life would clearly change without our close friends, but we are happy to make new ones. I will have to do more research on Beavercreek though. It didn't come up in my search for good public schools. we were looking mostly at Oakwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or