Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM

19 posts, read 22,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Any other neighborhoods that stand out to you?
Im a school bus driver, so I get to see the whole city, street by street on a daily basis. People may think Dayton doesn't have cool architecture, but it does. And very well defined neighborhoods, with well defined boarders.

My favorite little nook that looks out of place is: Grand Ave. between Salem and Broadway. GORGEOUS homes that would easily fetch 500 - 1 mil in Oakwood. Some of them are exceptionally maintained as well as landscaped. Its just odd that these home are sitting off of Salem and Grand (the hood). In the same area right across the street from the Grandiew hospital on Stoddard and Superior Ave are a cluster of homes that must be owned by dr.s because they are beautiful. They don't even build homes that look like this anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,139,056 times
Theres another pre-cut manufacuter from the 1930s called Liberty Homes, from Bay City or Saginaw...I picked up their old catalogue from the '30s. THe houses look pretty close to what you'd find around Dayton.

Quote:
My favorite little nook that looks out of place is: Grand Ave. between Salem and Broadway. GORGEOUS homes that would easily fetch 500 - 1 mil in Oakwood. Some of them are exceptionally maintained as well as landscaped. Its just odd that these home are sitting off of Salem and Grand (the hood). In the same area right across the street from the Grandiew hospital on Stoddard and Superior Ave are a cluster of homes that must be owned by dr.s because they are beautiful. They don't even build homes that look like this anymore.
Yeah, Grafton Hill. When I moved here i noticed that area right-off-the-bat. It's pretty rare to have these types of housing (particularly the ones around Stoddard Circle, etc) so close to a downtown, here in the Midwest.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Figured that I share this little find here. Any other neighborhoods that stand out to you?
There is a lot of that transitional stuff in Kettering, north of Dorothy Lane, and south of Dorothy, between Shroyer and Far Hills, and east of Shroyer a bit.

You see it up off in the neighborhoods off of Lakeview or Lakeside, and I think up in the FROC area, too (like following Harvard Avenue all they way west).

Also, for East Dayton, the streets up on "Huffman Hill"...say neighborhoods on either side of Smithville north of Huffman...changeover in styles to postwar ranches on some streets.

I know the area you are talking about. As you drop down that hill there are sets of pretty neat looking modern ranches and split levels. The Dayton area has a lot really interesting and fairly good (for developer houses) postwar ranch houses (as well as architect-designed houses). This town could be a feature story in Atomic Ranch magazine but I don't think that Mid Century craze has hit here yet.

For the 1940s, there was some housing construction during the war,too, and some of it was built before the war.

@@@

This subject is a particular interest of mine, and I did do some posting on it elsewhere.

For vernacular (ie not-architect-designed) residential architecture I think the big transition happened in the 1930s, with the disappearance of various bungalow (a lot of different types here) and later 4-square variations (the ones that look like big two-story cape cods), replaced by the various cottage styles (the tudor or old english or 'hansel & gretl" cottage, usually in brick but sometimes in wood, which was a holdover from the 1920s), and rise of the "Cape Cod" cottage, which was becoming the preferred style coming out of the Depression into the years just before the war: 1939-1940-1941.

For this area the land of the brick cottage is Patterson Park. Some houses there date as far back as the 1920s, and the last built in the early 1950s (maybe)

Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,569,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Still good neighborhoods, but they have taken a huge hit since the foreclosure crisis started. Really, they were both in better shape in 2008.
I don't know about Walnut Hills but according to my stepson who lived with his grandmother in Linden Heights the neighborhood is slowly but surely making a comeback. It never seriously declined just alot of foreclosures and businesses closing down. The most recent trips to Dayton my husband and I made we have noticed some revitalization in much of the East Side including LH after a few years in slight decline. The west side is another story however.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM

4,471 posts, read 6,180,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
I don't know about Walnut Hills but according to my stepson who lived with his grandmother in Linden Heights the neighborhood is slowly but surely making a comeback. It never seriously declined just alot of foreclosures and businesses closing down. The most recent trips to Dayton my husband and I made we have noticed some revitalization in much of the East Side including LH after a few years in slight decline. The west side is another story however.
I lived in Linden Heights up until late 2010. Overall it was very quiet. I did catch a burgler exiting my neighbors house one Saturday afternoon. I called the police, gave his description, and they caught him a couple hours later. He is serving 4 years in prison at the moment. He was part of a larger ring that worked extensively in Green County. He rolled on his companions and they got serious time out of the deal, while he got the lesser sentence. So here's a guy working LH that had come over from Beavercreek.

The foreclosures and closed out business districts was what I was specifically referring to. Some of the foreclosures were scooped up on the cheap and turned into rental properties. I don't feel this has been bad though. It's better than vacant homes. The downside is there are less owner occupied homes now.

Overall, Linden Heights is a nice neighborhood. It has nice parks too.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

This subject is a particular interest of mine, and I did do some posting on it elsewhere.

---

For this area the land of the brick cottage is Patterson Park. Some houses there date as far back as the 1920s, and the last built in the early 1950s (maybe)

I knew someone had started this thread topic recently. There was a great link to the Ohio Historical Society regarding residential development post-war.

I keep meaning to drive around Patterson Park instead of looking at photos (mainly real estate sales). I know a few people back there and they love it for the most part. Easy first home and good location.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I lived in Linden Heights up until late 2010. Overall it was very quiet. I did catch a burgler exiting my neighbors house one Saturday afternoon. I called the police, gave his description, and they caught him a couple hours later. He is serving 4 years in prison at the moment. He was part of a larger ring that worked extensively in Green County. He rolled on his companions and they got serious time out of the deal, while he got the lesser sentence. So here's a guy working LH that had come over from Beavercreek.
Speaking slightly off topic, Beavercreek has had a rash of problems lately. While I know the bottle bombs are just kids, the Beavercreek FB page has been reporting a number of tire and rim thefts recently.

There were also a number of home burglaries recently, but they seemed to have died down after they busted some guys. Apparently they lived in a house in Beavercreek but their last addresses were Dayton and Xenia??? Rental, I guess.

Reading the real estate section, I've noticed a lot of homes selling under the 100K mark. Most are probably 1960s or older ranches, many probably needing minor to major updates. Personally, with the lot sizes of some of those ranches and their mature trees, I'm surprised there are not more tear downs. Probably easier still to build new on new lots (as wasteful as that is) for a number of reasons. Also have noticed a lack of listings of new build homes in my neighborhood as well as others. Many have been selling according to the country auditors site for 300K+ with many 400K+ in my neighborhood!

As reference, we paid around 230-240K in 2000. Two-story colonial from a local builder's set of tract home plans.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 AM

Under 100K in Beavercreek? Even for an older home that seems low considering the location.

You mentioned teardowns. I've seen those in the Centerville/Wash. Twp area in some of the 1950s plats.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I have been illogically and irrationally attracted to Belmont since my college roommate and I took the #7 bus out one Saturday just to see where it would go
Whenever I hear Belmont two things come to mind (from my past):

Dion and the Belmonts..The Wanderer and Runaround Sue...sort of appropriate music for the neighborhood, too!!

Belmont & Central, up in Chicago (near my old neighborhood) (also built in the 1920s and early postwar, like the Dayton Belmont)

I did go to Dayton's Belmont for some stuff: Belmont Party Supply for beer and Grandma Virigies for pies. Now I still go there. Still to Belmont Party Supply, but now to Angies for cabbage roll dinners, the shoe repair place for shoe and leather repairs, and the "new age shop" for some things (im not Wiccan but I get gifts and cards there). It's easy to get to & from since its on bus 23, which goes to Centerville (eventually).

I'd like to know about that Starlight Restuarant near the Party Supply place. Seems that its busy, but never heard much mention of it.

##########

For some reason I avoided Belmont during my blogging and UO pix thread days, but I did some preliminary reconnaissance in prep for some future work.

The oldest Belmont plat (and it was actually called Belmont or Belmont Park) are Nordale and Belleaire Avenues, and dates from the 1890s. You can tell right away these blocks are different, since the lots are larger and the houses are the last of the "urban farmhouse" t- or L- shaped two stories, and some of the foursquares are more victorian looking.

Belmont was an interurban/streetcar suburb. Bus 7 might be a descendent of the old D-X local service converted into bus. Longer-distance trains went out to Xenia, and branch extended down Smithville to "East Oakwood', "Oakdale", and eventually Bellbrook (the junction was at Smithville & Watervliet).

This is why the side streets closer to Smithville (and Simithville itself) have older houses further out than Wilminton, since Wilimington never had a transit line in the old days.

Much of the Belmont business district is actually newer than one thinks. Quite a bit of it was built in the 1940s, somewhat contemporary with the Oakwood business district.

Last edited by Dayton Sux; 02-26-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
The Starlite Restaurant seriously sucks. It's bad. Don't bother. If you go stick to something like grilled cheese and chips. That spot was originally greenhouses (that was before my time) and in the 60s was built on as a Burger Chef with the distinctive kite shaped neon sign. After Burger Chef closed, a Chinese place called Nanking Inn opened there in the mid 80s (I think). That was replaced in the last year by Starlite.

Slider's is a better bet. I find Angie's Firehouse Tavern a bit overrated (it's too gloomy for my taste) but some people like it. There is supposedly a new sandwich joint in the place where the pies store was that I have not tried yet.

That's a fascinating speculation about the Route 7 Ewalt Circle bus and the old D-X service.

I believe there are actually some real farm houses on Bellaire from before the area being platted. Years ago I saw some classified ads from the 1930s for building lots on Belmont streets. In the early 1960s there were still a very few truck farm type lots that had not been built out yet. IE: on one street that runs west from the old Belmont Elementary there is a small ranch apartment complex - in 1962 it was a corn field and at that time was developed for the apartments.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 02-26-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton