Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,139,056 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the (non) rec on Starlight. Angies is mainly for the atmosphere..lol...it is a bar, really, so I guess dark, with that wood panelling. Sliders, huh? I was a bit leery about going in there. Angies markets itself as sort of food place as much as a bar. Sliders I was thinking more a bar bar... with food on the side?

Not Belmont, but a great place for gołąbki (pronoucned golompki or gowumpki)(what us Poles call cabbage roles) is Falbs on Chapel Street in OND. Cabbage roll mashed potatos, and boiled cabbage in sauce....Only of Fridays, though, and they stop serving at 7 PM.

Apparnelty Falbs has been around since the 1920s, but it has been remodelled in I think the 1940s or very early 1950s (from the looks of the place), so the interior is newer.

Anywhoo..

Quote:
That's a fascinating speculation about the Route 7 Ewalt Circle bus and the old D-X service.
Here is a link to a track map from the 1930s...

Dayton Streetcar Track Map

...route 7 originally ended near the state hospital. Route 6 was the D-X local service, so yeah, I think the stretch that went down Watervliet was part of the old D-X line.

Quote:
I believe there are actually some real actual farm houses on Bellaire from before the area being platted.
One of the neat things about Dayton is that there are indeed surviving old farmhouses and country mansions surviving in these outer neighborhoods. One of my favorites is the "Dragon House" on Huffman Ave (Huffman seems to have a concentration of these).

For TomJones (since he used to live there) I know of at least three surviving farmhouses in Linden Heights.

Last edited by Dayton Sux; 02-26-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 AM

If this was Cleveland, Belmont could well have been a seperate suburb, like East Cleveland or Lakewood.

But it was a sucessfull annexation from the late 1920s or early 1930s. Before then everthing south of Wayne was in Van Buren Township.

This annexation was the same one that Oakwood sucessfully fought off...setting up the model for suburban seperatism in the Miami Valley.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
Slider's is equally balanced as a restaurant and a bar. You'd have to go into the place to see this. It's not scary. The place is packed at dinner times. The couple of times I've eaten there I felt like I was in a time warp back to 1965 Belmont.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM

^
Thanx! I will deffo ad it to the list of local places to check out. Is there any food recs @ Sliders? Anything special or that they're known for?

(I go out once a month with a freind to a different local place, so this will work real well as its close to his place in Beavercreek and on bus 23 which I can take home).

Old 02-26-2013, 12:47 PM

Slider's is a REALLY pedestrian burgers, fried things, appetizers, sandwiches kind of place. But their food is renowned locally for its high quality (supposedly their burger has been rated the best in Dayton by some bloggers.) Seating is cramped and the place fills up quickly.

I don't think they have a house specialty like cabbage rolls or anything.

Everything I am saying sounds negative, but the servers and staff are really nice, and the food is really good. And it's lively and feels fun for a Dayton place.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:29 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Under 100K in Beavercreek? Even for an older home that seems low considering the location.
That or somewhere between the county auditor's office and the DDN the numbers are being screwed up. Personally, I doubt it's the foreclosures as much as possibly estate sales from family's dumping the homes their older parents live/lived in for years. Some need some updates.

East Kettering and Belmont, to my understanding, had similar problems compounded by the closing of GM and Delphi. I've seen some nice remodels of some East Kettering ranches, close to the Woodman and Dorothy area.

I'll have to dig it up somewhere, but someone found a 1971 aerial of NE Beavercreek, looking out from the corner of N. Fairfield and D-X Rds. Pretty cool to see so much land being undeveloped (yet), though there were plats going up in the picture.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM

225 posts, read 460,319 times
I love Angie's firehouse. They have good prices and I really like the neighborhood hangout feel it has.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM

Take it from me --- there are definitely some 50s and 60s dwellings in Beavercreek that I'd have a tough time seeing go for over $100K, and some should go for less than that. Beavercreek's housing stock is old enough to have a wide range of updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
I love Angie's firehouse. They have good prices and I really like the neighborhood hangout feel it has.
I had the cabbage rolls. Just the small serving was really overwhelming. I didn't get an impression of savory as much as I did an O.D. of sauerkraut. I could literally smell the kraut from when the server walked out of the kitchen in back.

I guess I'm in a minority on Angie's and that's fine. Maybe it's the place to go when it's 100+ outside and sunny - go in there and have a cold beer in the shade.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM

^
Angies' "rookie" portion was pretty big, true! Im afraid to ask for the regular size order!

It should be noted that the recipe used in the "Firehouse" era cabbage rolls is not the original recipe used in the original Angies (been told that by an old timer here).

Belmont..does it have any donut shops? I've been to The Donut Man and Thackers or Thatchers....Donut Man seemed the better of the two.

There also was the Belmont Bakery....which I've never been to. I heard it was run by descendents from the Hungarian community and thought I could get some specialities there, but was told that its just a generic bakery, nothing special. Despite the name that bakery is actually in Kettering

Quote:
That or somewhere between the county auditor's office and the DDN the numbers are being screwed up. Personally, I doubt it's the foreclosures as much as possibly estate sales from family's dumping the homes their older parents live/lived in for years. Some need some updates.

East Kettering and Belmont, to my understanding, had similar problems compounded by the closing of GM and Delphi.
There is an entire era of crackerbox postwar ranches in the Dayton area that I don't see being all that desirable.

In Kettering those are the plats north & south of Dorothy Lane and east of Woodman...you see this type of development in Fairborn btw downtown Fairborn and Five Points and also that Townview area west of Gettysburg, and some of the plats on the NW Side, between Brumbagh Blvd and Salem.

Theres a few of these "basic housing" plats in Beavercreek too. Those old "large lot plats" have some smaller houses on them, so yes, a lot of property but small houses.

(As a historical sidebar some of the earliest of these large-lot subdivisions in BC pre-date WWII).

Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Take it from me --- there are definitely some 50s and 60s dwellings in Beavercreek that I'd have a tough time seeing go for over $100K, and some should go for less than that.
I could see that. Beavercreek no doubt still has quite a number of subdivisions of small, hastily-erected, slab-built ranches from the 50s and 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton