Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,125,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
The street view and the satellite must be from different years. In the street view the corner shows an end life blighted set of buildings, I think four houses and one commercial building on the corner. In the satellite shot, only the corner building remains. Perhaps it was determined to be viable or of historic significance.

In most municipal units in Canada, they never would be allowed to remain in that condition. They are fire traps, for starters. Adaptive re-use is always preferable. I see this area as ripe for the kind of infill development of market rate and mixed HUD housing like that which has made an amazing renewal of the Hough area in Cleveland. Middle class professionals and business people are building suburban style and urban revivialist homes. They want to live in quality housing close to University Circle, downtown, etc. Is there a new urbanist movement in Dayton strong enough to support this ? The entire area of bike trails is a good foreshadow, as that is what brings is the so-called artistic class revive love inner cities.
I think the street view pictures are circa 2007. I remember the Google Vans driving around that summer, and I don't remember seeing them since... The satellite images are much more current haha

As far as adaptive re-use in Dayton, whether it is always preferred is questionable. The problem here is the supply of buildings which need help greatly outweighs the current demand from our urbanist market. This, to me at least, is the most troubling aspect of effective urban revitalization in Dayton - can we fill all of the buildings that we need to fill quickly enough to save them from demolition? Unfortunately, the answer is too often NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,056,058 times
I guess I should clarify my opening remarks.

By comparison, I am saying there is a lack of urban renewal in Dayton, at least on the scale of places like Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland (all three of which have some areas that probably have a ways to go alongside those higher up the proverbial hill). I'm using Detroit as a benchmark, and I realize it is much worse there then here. BUT, the relative urban flight (mostly past and some present) from parts of Dayton versus the majority of suburbs being cushy places to call home is noticeable. Is all of inner-city Dayton like Detroit? Certainly not. But there are many suburbs that are doing rather well compared to the core city. Troy (MI) to Detroit is like Oakwood to Dayton. That's the analogy I'm trying to make. Is it perfect, of course not.

Perhaps a better analogy would be Stongsville to Cleveland as Centerville to Dayton.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 PM

294 posts, read 512,752 times
Looks like huffy took a page ouy of Mr. Ford's hymn book.

As Detroit has been cited as an example in relation to the challenges facing Dayton and other cities I offer this :

The " downtown is the heart of the city " vision has merits but I would posit evidence to the contrary, just to play devil's advocate.

I believe that new urbanism will need to co-exist with suburban and rural life and each will be dependant on the strengths of each. They will also thrive off the weaknesses of each.

A city, even a small city, can have more than one vibrant downtown.

A city as great and enduring as London has grown for centuries despite seige, civil war, industrial revolution, blitz, fire, perstulance, plague and the return of the Spice Girls.

London, like Dayton, is a river town. Like Dayton, London has a glorious past. And no city loves to bask in a glorious past more than London. Blight ? Yes. Brownfields ? Yes,( but any patch and they plant flowers.) Bustling ? Yes. Sprawl. yes, and so last millenium.

Large swaths of London have been burned, bombed, cleared for massive public works, rebuilt in the vision of reigning monarchs ( in Dayton they would be called local politicians) Buildings such as the infamous Tower of London have been adaptively re-used over the centuries. London has it's Cockney east End and the posh West End and endless suburbs, towns and villages in the environs but...

London is a polycentirc city.It has many downtowns and they thrive all over the city. They call them "High Street" and they bustle with enterprises which in many cases have been handed down for centuries. Yes, there is The City of London which is a very small section where the financial district is located. There is also Central London, where the most of the civic buildings are located, but at one time, these would have been considered to be at the periphery. London has been called " a city of shopkeepers. " They also have thriving mega malls, BTW. and some are very much in the cities. Today, Londoners live in 16th century houses, 17 th century cottages and endless rows of Victorian terrace houses as well as council estates and swank penthouses and grand mansions on squares with private parks.There is also really bad post WW2 housing in pre fab and 1950's brick bungalows. And everyone, regardless of class, rides the tube.

Entire end of life public housing estates built in eras ranging from pre industrial times to post WW 2 were removed to make way for the Olympic venues and new housing. It is a city that has preserved and revered buildings and also has made many adaptations of land, waterways and transport links, which by the way are amongst the best in the world.

Many large scale projects have claimed ancient vistas of London for new,grand schemes such has the massive development of public buildings along The Strand. Today, there are restricted parts of central London where cars must pay to enter. Many neighbourhoods require resident stickers to street park. They drive cars and they use the transport links. They have massive motorways that did not destroy neighbourhood identities. London has enclaves yet it is diverse. Yes, it has had riots fuelled by racial tensions and economic disparity. But these have been few and far between. Every race, ethnicity, and religion in the world seems to be represented.

None of these points listed above are attributable only to a world renown metropolis of millions. Most of these are characteristics can be of a truly greatly loved and liveable city. Dayton will survive, even if the downtown is never as it was and even if the suburbs of Dayton sprawl to Columbus. For generations past and to those to come, Dayton has been a city with gifted individuals, enviable opportunities and industrious citizens. Dayton has been and will continue to be a great hometown for its citizens.

Keep calm and carry on , Dayton, I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton