Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 AM

225 posts, read 462,213 times

Advertisements

I don't know what category Jimmy's ladder 11 would fall under but I love that place. The Paisano Chips are my favorite food of any restaurant in the city of Dayton.
Jimmie's Ladder 11 | 937.424.1784 | Dayton Restaurant & Bar near University of Dayton & Oregon District

I also second Tom Jones with the Amber Rose, I absolutely love that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
I forgot to add that I think Slyder's has a very good burger.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
OHMIGODLADDER11! PAISANOCHIPSYUM!

Sorry, I'm hungry.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
On a serious note:

Fine Dining: Winds
Pizza: Marions (Preferably the 'Creek piazza)
Bar Food: Tanks
Pastry's: DLM (I go to Oakwood just for the Killer Brownies)

A number of new places have popped up for the new food craze, fro-yo.

Always, always Yoba (The Greene). Truest to the California style. Great taste and texture, feels less processed to me (though some don't like it).

Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
Another vote here for Amber Rose. A "Dayton Original".

@@@

Going to have to try Slyders!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
I forgot abou this, but for pastries you all should try some of those stands in the 2nd Street Market...they have some good baked goods there.

Also for breakfast the crepe stand in the 2nd Street Market is pretty good too.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM

294 posts, read 515,589 times
Someone on a thread mentioned that there are not many bakeries in SW Ohjo. I am surprised as there is a large german population and that culture excells in pastries, etc. My mouth is watering right now for struedel.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Very nice list!

I have a couple couple suggestions. For barbecue scratch Smokin BBQ and check out:

OinkADoodleMoo Smoky BBQ | Dayton's Championship Style Barbeque

And add Amber Rose for eastern European food.

The Amber Rose

If you want a cheaper offering for Thai than Thai 9 check out Siam Pad Thai in Kettering: (they have excellent sushi)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Siam-...17361161622767

Also, check out Charlie's Imports for an excellent deli:

Charlie's Import Foods Inc

And damn! Glad to see you like The Century and Tanks. I absolutely love both bars!!!

haha Thanks! Yeah, I forgot a few important categories, didn't I?

Deli - Charlie's
Latin/S. American - El Meson
Mexican - El Toro (still haven't tried Taqueria Mixteca)
Cajun - Rue Dumaine
Wings - Hinder's in Tipp
Smoothies - Tropical Smoothie Cafe - yep, a chain...
Burgers - J. Alexander's again, a chain, but honestly they have the best burger I've ever had in my entire life!
Pretzels - Smale's
Street Food - Nothing yet, but I'll be on the lookout...

I'm a native northsider, so Charlie's is my place! When I was working at a contractor out by the base, I took my entire department over there for lunch. Great time!

I work near Englewood, so I've been to OinkADoodleMoo a few times before. It is very good - probably my #3 in the area after Smokin' and Hickory River. I hope their expansion plans go well - their Troy location was beautiful, but the location was horrible.

Still haven't made it over to Amber Rose. I need to do that.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,466 times
BBQ - I prefer City BBQ to Oinkamoodledoo. City is a much better value - larger food portions for similar prices. It has a greater selection of meats and sides - and has all sauces available to customers at the table. To me it was pretty irritating not having access to the sauces once I left the serving window. I think the quality of the meat is similar between the two restaurants, but the value proposition goes to City. And a much greater variety of beverages, including beer (Oink- doesn't serve demon rum.) Hands down, City BBQ is the best. No, I don't work for them. I wish I owned the store, though.

Pizza - I give an extremely strong seconded vote for Ron's in Miamisburg. And it's too bad that their once somewhat extensive chain of restaurants in the south suburbs collapsed to just their tavern in M-burg. It's a superior gourmet version of the fast food style food disc that Marion's or Cassano's sells. (Ron's was originally a Cassano's franchise that split off in order to hold the line on quality, so the story goes.) Ron's pizza is also available at the pub on the main intersection in downtown Bellbrook (name escapes me but it says Ron's Pizza right in the window) and also there is a Ron's in, of all places, Camden (1/2 way to Indiana.)

Pizza - alternative for take-out: The DLM store in Springboro has a fantastic deal on take-out pizzas. The quality is exceptional - a sort of NY style - and a 1 ingredient medium pizza is only about $8.

Casual steaks place - I like Chop House in Centerville. It seems to be a mini-chain with locations in Dayton and Pigeon Forge, but it's lower key than a true fine dining establishment and has prices comparable to the awful O'CharlyFridayBee's type places with a much superior dining environment. We like it.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 03-07-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
^I have to try Ron's! Wish they had it somewhere on the northside or in-town. It's a lot less often I make my way into central Miamisburg and not just the mall area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton