Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM

7 posts, read 9,754 times

Advertisements

I'm a single young professional most certainly moving to Dayton to start in job in late June - it is going to be a 3 year haul.
I am faintly familiar with the area. I'll be working at GSH/MVH. From what I remember Oregon District is pretty young and hip, and I think I would want to rent there. I am also considering Kettering to be a little closer to Cincy.
I am looking for rentals online and am only able to find complexes in Kettering and almost nothing in Oregon District. Any other suggestions in terms of neighborhoods and where to look/who to contact?
Thanks in advance and HAPPY ST. PATS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 23,941 times
Do you have a budget in mind? 1 br? Preference in terms of style and layout? When i searched for rentals coming from the east coast, i wanted to avoid complexes, so I looked predominantly downtown. Finding rentals in historic districts like Oregon or South Park can be pretty unfruitful via internet/craigslist--I'd recommend actually looking around the areas personally for signs and advertisements.

Otherwise, there are also a few options in other areas of downtown Dayton that offer some unique options: St. Clair Lofts and The Cannery are two, relatively recently renovated loft buildings. Occasionally, there are rental availabilities through privately owned units at Cooper Lofts or Ice Ave Lofts (where i currently live).

Old 03-17-2013, 05:57 PM

Budget is ~$900/month, for a 1 or 2 BR. Not terribly picky but I'd like to stay away from complexes as well. Duplexes/condos/townhomes would be most ideal, open layouts most preferable but since it's Dayton I'm not going to push it
What's the parking situation in general at these loft-style places?
I'll be coming up to explore in a few weeks, but would it be fruitful to get a headstart with any rental agency? I've somehow mostly lived in complexes with crazy waiting lists, and am not sure how far in advance I'd need to do the local/drive-by looking.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,136,147 times
With that budget, you could rent a whole house in South Park - although the house itself will be just over 1,000 sq. ft, so not too big. This might be a good place to start, because South Park puts you in close proximity to UD, MVH, all of the bars/restaurants/shops on Wayne, and fairly close to the OD.

In general, the rental market in Dayton is more competitive than the general housing market because of the base. Even though you are only going to be here for three years, it is making me wonder whether buying a house or condo might be better for you. The housing market should be on the rise over the next three years in Dayton, and a little updating will go a long way with some units to increase their resale value. A quick check of house interiors in the OD on Zillow revealed a lot of 1990's styling, especially in ever-important kitchens and bathrooms. For you, this might be opportunity knocking!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,149,511 times
Quote:
What's the parking situation in general at these loft-style places?
If you are talking about downtown lofts they have dedicated parking either in secured lots or garages.

Here are two downtown loft complexes plus one downtown apartment complex. They all have parking.

The Cannery

St Clair Lofts

The Landing

@@@@@

Finding a place in the neighborhoods might be difficult aside from walking around the neighborhood and seeing whats available on for rent signs.

I think you are correct about Oregon being the place to be, and the the advice you are getting is good, too.

Choices for MVH staff such as yourself, other than the Oregon, would be the aforementioned South Park, and the Fairgrounds neighborhood (which is a small neighborhood directly south of the hospital, between Main and Brown streets),

....or perhaps rentals in Oakwood, which is an older (Pre WWII) suburb just south of the city (Oakwood might be too suburban for you if you want to be in the heart of town). Oakwood has a stuffy/elitist rep, but has been getting a young professional population, particularly in-migrants, in recent years.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM

12,073 posts, read 23,155,986 times
Kettering is not that much closer to Cinci. in terms of actual driving time, so I would factor that in to deciding where I was going to live.

There are places for rent in the Oregon District that you have to drive by and see the "for rent" sign, so maybe drive up and take a look around.

I looked at the Cannery when I was getting divorced. I ended up being able to keep my house, so I didn't need to move. I think it is worth your time to schedule an appointment and take a look.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
With that budget, you could rent a whole house in South Park - although the house itself will be just over 1,000 sq. ft, so not too big. Even though you are only going to be here for three years, it is making me wonder whether buying a house or condo might be better for you.
Thanks so much guys! I am going to make the drive up in a couple of weeks and hope I can get something figured out. Any other ideas/contacts are much appreciated! I really like the idea of living in a loft, but of course that I could get more space in a traditional layout for the same $$. I am just concerned that most of the places I am finding seem to have slightly outdated appliances/fixtures. Hoping the drive by hunt will yield good results!
OHKID, I think I'd rather avoid the hassle of owning a place and being responsible for upkeep...and I don't have the resources or support to fix up a place. If it was a 5 year stint I would have seriously considered buying [one of my friends is coming for a 6-yr residency and she is buying].

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,064,574 times
All three downtown choices are great. Landing might be the most out-dated? It's a cool historical building (the tower that is). I always felt it was a little far from OD, but it is pretty close to the Riverscape area and its festivals.

Cannery would probably be the nicest choice, IMO. St. Clair's not bad either.

If you are seriously considering Kettering just because it is closer to Cincinnati, I would not move on it. The savings in distance probably is not worth it as it is pretty small. I'd also suggest looking around South Park and Fairgrounds as well when driving through town.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,136,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaace12 View Post
OHKID, I think I'd rather avoid the hassle of owning a place and being responsible for upkeep...and I don't have the resources or support to fix up a place. If it was a 5 year stint I would have seriously considered buying [one of my friends is coming for a 6-yr residency and she is buying].
Understandable. Even minor renovations are no small task! Right now, I'm in the midst of taking down a bunch of wallpaper in a house. What a nightmare! In some rooms, the walls were not primed before drywalling, making it nearly impossible to remove the wallpaper without doing drywall work. There can be a lot of nasty surprises with any property, old or new. Renting at least hedges the risk.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM

Anyone know anything about Dayton Towers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton