Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM

225 posts, read 462,346 times

Advertisements

I spent alot of time in OND, have family who live on Notre Dame, not too far from Our Lady of Rosary. Also played a lot of basketball at the Stewart Patterson rec enter. It is not a terrible area nor is it a fancy area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
It is not a terrible area nor is it a fancy area.
I wonder if it got better once Parkside was demolished? (Though they were in McCook Field.)

Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Actually Natrual510, I would consider Old North Dayton to be one of the better areas to relocate to in the city proper.

I have spent a fair amount of time in Old North Dayton, and I would say the area is far from being a "ghetto". I wouldn't mind walking around there at night, and I am not an intimidating looking person by any stretch of the imagination. The area has some great local flavor, from the Mexican grocery store to Charlie's Deli, the Kayaking store, the Amber Rose, and more. In fact, I think it is one of the greatest working-class neighborhoods in the city, and I would probably relocate there along Troy St. if I was working in Dayton. I would classify the neighborhood as safe, stable, and working class - not ghetto.

What the neighborhood is not is attractive or progressive. It's a lot of siding-clad early 1900's build houses which have character that locals routinely dominate by painting them obnoxious colors or not painting them at all. In a lot of ways, it is similar to working-class sections of southside Chicago.

The area with the most character and commerce is Troy St (St. Rt. 202) from Leo St. on down. I wouldn't go north of Leo St personally because the area north of Leo is heavily commercial and their have been environmental hazard concerns from various manufacturing sites near houses north of Leo in the past.

And the Turks - very cool! Anyone have info on them? I would love to read it!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
It's busted. It used to be a nice neighborhood, now it's more or less run down with a lot of drugs and crime. Charlie's Imports on Troy Street, Amber Rose on Valley Street, and Dayton Children's were about the only reason I ever went over there when I lived in Dayton.

My impression as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Actually Natrual510, I would consider Old North Dayton to be one of the better areas to relocate to in the city proper.
You aren't serious, are you? Are you saying that OND is better that the Oregon District, Saint Anne's Hill, Linden Heights, Belmont, South Park, Walnut Hills, Patterson Park, Hearthstone...should I continue....or am I clear as mud.

It's not the worst neighborhood by a long shot. But it's not one of the better ones, and it is plagued with crime, drugs, and vacancies.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,355 times
About 10 years ago I was looking for a rental for a family member. A guy at our old church had a rental in "OND" so we took a drive up there to look around, and then I called the local police precinct to ask some questions.

The side streets in the area (right off of Troy Street) didn't look that forbidding. But it did look like a dead, no-energy area.

The lady cop I spoke with at the police station said that you didn't exactly have to be Robocop to survive there and that there was some property crime than average, but nothing really disturbing. I asked about things like drive by shootings and assaults in broad daylight and she said neither was an issue.

The main reason we didn't choose this area was that it was BFE relative to other places this family member needed to go.

I didn't exactly feel uncomfortable, but TomJones, you're exactly right - it's not Belmont or Patterson Park by a looooong shot.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Quote:
You aren't serious, are you? Are you saying that OND is better that the Oregon District, Saint Anne's Hill, Linden Heights, Belmont, South Park, Walnut Hills, Patterson Park, Hearthstone...should I continue....or am I clear as mud.

It's not the worst neighborhood by a long shot. But it's not one of the better ones, and it is plagued with crime, drugs, and vacancies.
Agrees its not better than those neighborhoods. What I am saying is that it's not a bad area, and I would not dissuade anyone from relocating there. It is safe, stable, diverse, and very affordable - not a bad combo

Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Agrees its not better than those neighborhoods. What I am saying is that it's not a bad area, and I would not dissuade anyone from relocating there. It is safe, stable, diverse, and very affordable - not a bad combo
I'm not one to argue with people that know better from having lived thee/have family living there. My impression of the place, from going there often enough, was that it had seen batter days and had become sketchy. With that said, I appreciate the insider info. I lived in Linden Heights, just off Xenia Ave. when I was in Dayton. From living in the east end, I am more intimate with those neighborhoods than OND.

Thanks for the insight.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:
I'm not one to argue with people that know better from having lived thee/have family living there. My impression of the place, from going there often enough, was that it had seen batter days and had become sketchy. With that said, I appreciate the insider info. I lived in Linden Heights, just off Xenia Ave. when I was in Dayton. From living in the east end, I am more intimate with those neighborhoods than OND.

Thanks for the insight.

In 1950 I lived in Westwood. I thought it nice but not something extra-ordinary. Some people have told me they considered it "high class" (at least around 1950). I would venture to guess that one could still find some decent housing and decent people there. Admittedly to some owning property is a matter of prestige and/or finance, but to others it's just a place to hang a hat and get some sleep, etc. As long as it is decent enough to suit one, it's okay.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
In 1950 I lived in Westwood. I thought it nice but not something extra-ordinary. Some people have told me they considered it "high class" (at least around 1950). I would venture to guess that one could still find some decent housing and decent people there. Admittedly to some owning property is a matter of prestige and/or finance, but to others it's just a place to hang a hat and get some sleep, etc. As long as it is decent enough to suit one, it's okay.
Westwood has really fallen on hard times, though I am sure there are some liveable pockets remaining. It's too large of a neighborhood to be all bad. I would have love to have seen it in it's day, and the same with most Dayton neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton